What's new

College and Classes

reddude333

Giga Poster
^^Yeah, currently I have 16 hours in class per week. And we have these obnoxious posters throughout campus that say 25-35 hours of studying per week (or 2 for every 1 in lecture) Psh! How funny! :p

Nicky

Hyper Poster
University: Durham University
Year: 3rd
Course: Psychology BSc
Modules: Psychology Dissertation (double module), Child Health Psychology, Developmental Psychology, Neuropsychology and The Evolution of Human Behaviour

Final year. Oh joy!

reddude333

Giga Poster
^Getting out of school early...lucky...I'm probably gonna have to stay an extra quarter just to get my BS and I'm a quarter ahead of schedule right now. Let's hope I can maintain that.

Wow, your whole thing with modules and units and hours is all confusing :p . Thankfully I only have 11 hours of lecture per week because even though I'm taking five courses, one of them is online and is piss easy <3

Ours is just five courses per semester, or ten courses a year. No weird thing about 10 units and 20 units :p . At the uni I'm at now, courses only run Sept-Dec and Jan-April, whereas at the uni I was at last year, some ran all year long. The method at the uni I'm at now is much easier though.

^ It's pretty easy for me because I'm interested in it, it's just a lot of reading and there are some classes I am SO not interested in (prewar cinema history is one of those). I also do a minor in German language and culture which isn't that easy :p . School here works differently though, your courses aren't really set out and half the time you end up taking courses that don't even really pertain to your area of study. Right now though my classes are pretty simple, minus the one I mentioned before, which is probably quite easy but just very hard to pay attention to or even attend. German Civilization is only hard because the textbook is ridiculous.

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
LiveForTheLaunch said:
^ It's pretty easy for me because I'm interested in it,
#
I'm really interested in my subject, doesn't stop it being unhealthily hard. ;)

^ Yah but we aren't required to do math and stuff :p I was into nursing but the classes were just disgustingly uninteresting. At least with history the classes are interesting :p

tomahawk

Strata Poster
Being a history major is amazing, best decision I ever made. I mean when I can take a class that is History of Baseball, you can't be making that many bad life decisions...if you like baseball that is. Question for Ben and Taylor, did/do either of you have to have a focus for your degree, or is it just general history? For me it's just general History, but I have purposely made my focus on Germany, as 4 of my 7 upper division classes are all based on Germany, but there is no "set" focus. Just interested to see how other schools do it.

Antinos

Slut for Spinners
Hixee said:
LiveForTheLaunch said:
^ It's pretty easy for me because I'm interested in it,
#
I'm really interested in my subject, doesn't stop it being unhealthily hard. ;)

Real talk. I don't really have any room to talk though, as I'm still in Calc 1.

Ben

CF Legend
tomahawKSU said:
Being a history major is amazing, best decision I ever made. I mean when I can take a class that is History of Baseball, you can't be making that many bad life decisions...if you like baseball that is. Question for Ben and Taylor, did/do either of you have to have a focus for your degree, or is it just general history? For me it's just general History, but I have purposely made my focus on Germany, as 4 of my 7 upper division classes are all based on Germany, but there is no "set" focus. Just interested to see how other schools do it.

We could very much choose where we wanted to focus on, or be more general if we wanted.

I ended up doing loads of Russia. Cause Russian history is awesome.

Uhh, well we're not forced to focus, but you're suppose to kind of choose an area of history and then base your class choices around that. The course choices for history are sort of small at my uni though so it's a bit hard, but I'm trying to focus more on Roman and European history.

PLCP

Mega Poster
I'm back, whut. :)

School: University of Michigan
Year: Freshman
Concentration/Major: Business/Economics/Political Science/History/Holycrapidkwhattodowithmylife
Classes this Semester: Data/Functions/Other Math Stuff, Microeconomics, Political Theory, Ancient Greek History
Classes next Semester: Calculus I, Astronomy, Cultural Anthropology, Ancient Roman History
Aspirations: Working for an investment bank in NY (arghhhhh Occupy Wall Street :p )

I love college.

PLCP

Mega Poster
Pretty good question, one that I'm not absolutely sure of. I'd guess probably by the end of junior year, since I know there are some departmental 400 level classes that you can't take unless you've declared in that field.

^ Whoa, you'd go three years without declaring? I thought undeclared was just a first year thing. I'm pretty sure that's the way it works here, anyway.

I picked my courses for next semester and I'm pretty happy with them!
- Making History: Methods and Practices
- Foundations of Academic Writing II
- Introduction to Roman Civilization
- Renaissance Ideas: Sculpting the Italian Mind
- Culture and Ideas: Black Death to the Enlightenment

I was bummed I couldn't do the Greek courses, but I am considering asking for a double major in classical civilizations as well that way I can do them. They require prerequisites too, so I'm trying to get all the prereqs this year that way I can take them all next year. The stupid writing course and Making History course are mandatory, and so is the Black Death one for my minor. I only took the Italian one because the professor is incredible. Even if he were teaching about like, something boring and random, it'd still be amazing.

PLCP

Mega Poster
I've looked around and I can't find any specific time by which we have to declare, but the website says almost everyone declares by the end of their sophomore/start of their junior years, so take that for what it's worth, I guess. I'm probably not going to wait that long, but for the people who do, there's always the General Studies major available.

reddude333

Giga Poster
At Cal Poly you declare on your application to the school so that they can start you on discipline-specific courses from day one. I'm happy with my choice :)

Treeis

Mega Poster
Im doing As levels at school, and learning mechanics at the moment!

I want to be an engineer when I am older and the subject is definetly the closest I have come in education to anything rollercoaster-ry...

Its all about accelleration and gravity and pulleys and so on!