What's new

Coasters you like that others don’t and a coaster you don’t like that others do

Benenen

Hyper Poster
What's the consensus on Euro-Mir? Because it's the only coaster I genuinely despise.

I've given it four separate chances and every time it gets to the "coaster" part it's such an unpleasant and uncomfortable experience.
I've never been a fan of Euro Mir either. It's not just the uncomfortable main portion I have a problem with, it's the fact it takes 4 minutes from leaving the station to get to it. It's so dull going round in circles on the lift hill staring at the corrugated metal shed. The top section is dull too although it's fun seeing your reflection in the towers.

A very underwhelming ride. The whole Russian area is the bit of the park most crying out for a France esque makeover. Put some proper show scenes in the dark ride, give Euro Mir a themed queue like Can Can Coaster and sort out the lift hill and the parks biggest blemish will be gone.

JammyH

Hyper Poster
Rides I like (that others don’t):

Gonna get some dodgy looks here but I actually really like euro-mir. I’m also a big fan of Baron 1898. I’m often an advocate for the theming makes the ride rather than actually caring too much about whether the ride is the biggest/tallest/fastest itself, so for those people who really just care about the coaster, yeah baron probably sucks, but for me it’s one of my favourite coasters out there. I love the theming, atmosphere, pre-shows, it’s just a really well executed ride experience.

Another big one for me is xpress platform 13. I’ve never done rock n roll coaster so I have nothing to compare it to, but I really enjoy this coaster. For me, it’s made by the queue-line and station being so well themed and the atmosphere while you are queueing up and boarding the train is really awesome. I actually think the hydraulic launch is pretty punchy and the rest of the coaster is really enjoyable. For me, it didn’t follow the typical “rough Vekoma” stereotype that I expected it to.

Rides I don’t like that others do:

The smiler. Possibly the worst coaster I’ve ever been on. The whole thing is a complete gimmick and it’s just fourteen inversions of head banging pain. Think I’ve only done it once or twice but i have no desire to ever ride it again.

Hyperion. Ok so I don’t not like this coaster (it’s ranked higher than euro-mir in my list), but I find it extremely overrated. I don’t know what it is, but I just expected an intamin hyper to be even better than a b&m hyper, with better floater airtime moments. Honestly, after riding this coaster several times, I didn’t really feel any airtime on the way round. And it’s pretty rattly too, which put me off a lot. It’s probably the only new gen intamin I’ve ridden that I honestly can say I’m not a big fan of. Silver star blows Hyperion out of the water for me (and I know silver star is very poorly rated in the enthusiast community).

UP87

Mega Poster
EuroMir is pretty bad. Especially if you've ridden one of Mack Rides newer spinning coasters which are really fun. I like the lift and the mouse curves if you know what you got into and make fun of it with the other passengers... (like keep humming the music of the lift) But the main coaster part goes by quite quickly, only features a single turn around spin and several pretty bumpy sections. I agree that Russia needs to be redone. I'd love to see a new free spinning coaster.

And I have to agree with @JammyH. XPress has an awesome queue with a lot of atmosphere. But it's an LSM launch with a catchcar not hydraulic. The second part of the coaster is a bit to slow for my liking. But in general still really cool :)

UP87

Mega Poster
I have to say I can't really think of any coaster I really don't like or even hate. I think it's always a thing of managing your expactations and finding the loopholes. I avoided SLCs for quite a while but I have to say when you know what you're in for and you know how to ride it it's okay and even quite fun. For SLCs I started to go front row and didn't have a really bad ride since. Yeah... you're waiting longer and it's still not the best coaster in the world but even the prototype Condor at Walibi Holland was fun.

Climb

Mega Poster
I've honestly never had a good ride on an SLC. I avoid them like the plague.

What's the consensus on Euro-Mir? Because it's the only coaster I genuinely despise.

I've given it four separate chances and every time it gets to the "coaster" part it's such an unpleasant and uncomfortable experience.
I think it's fine, but the lift section is just too much for what follows.

Edward M

Strata Poster
For coasters I like, add me to team SLC. I've ridden four (T3, Gauntlet, Condor, the New England one) and have enjoyed all of them. I'd say T3 probably gave me the worst experience but, even then, it was a very fun ride. Their layouts are actually quite impressive, packing some unique elements into a tight footprint. It requires a bit of bracing to ride, but I usually come off with a smile on my face. Also, perhaps it's Tokyo Disneysea bias, but I thought Raging Spirits was a damn good coaster. Sure, the theming does just about all the legwork, but the ride itself had a quirky and fun layout. Lastly, there's Shockwave at Kings Dominion. I seriously don't understand how people hated this. It has airtime on a stand up coaster!! That's one of the oddest sensations I've felt on a coaster, truly unique to these weird TOGO stand ups.

As for coasters I don't like, one that comes to mind is Twister at Grona Lund. I'd heard nothing but great things about both this coaster and all the smaller Gravity Group coasters, but my experience on it was underwhelming. I was expecting more airtime perhaps, but the way they fit the ride into the park seemed more interesting than the ride itself. Lost Gravity also disappointed me quite a bit. It had all the elements of the kind of ride I'd love, but it didn't quite come together in the end to be anything memorable. It had like one good inversion and one good airtime moment. Lastly, I'd say Intimidator at Carowinds. I'd heard it was a weaker B&M Hyper, but I got no airtime at all during my one nighttime ride in the back row. It's a shame as it's one of the tallest hypers and seems to have a solid layout. Perhaps I caught it on a bad day, but color me unimpressed.

Llama Drama

Roller Poster
Coaster I like that others don't:

Rougarou at Cedar Point

I have heard some pretty negative things about this ride, so much to the point that I question whether I'm riding the same coaster others are. The layout is solid, and I have never had a rough or headbangy experience on it. Granted, I almost always opt for the very front (there's rarely a line), so that probably has something to do with my perceptions of the ride. But really, its just a good ride IMO. Infinitely better than the utter piece of trash Mantis was at least...

Coaster I don't like that others do:

Magnum at Cedar Point

Ouch. And I mean, just ouch. The airtime at the end truly is one-of-a-kind yes, and it gives great views and everything, but its beaten me up so much to the point that I've recognized its hardly worth it anymore. I've had some good rides on this but my most recent has made my opinion of this coaster drop lower than I could have ever imagined. Seat 6-1: it was the most horrendous experience I've had any coaster in a long time. Shuffling and Arrow clunkiness are things I would say I can handle on a lesser scale, but when ratcheted up to 72 mph, it gets to a level that's just plain unbearable. I still plan on riding it occasionally, but never again will I make the mistake of sitting in the back and/or on wheel seats. The thing's a 200ft mine train...

Last edited:
Coasters I like that others don't
Beast- I know many like it during the night, but I enjoy it during the day as well. It doesn't do much but it's different and not super intense, which in my old age is a good thing
Raging Bull- It's not a top coaster by any means but it's certainly not that bad
Great Bear- Everyone talks about how much it DIES but I didn't have much of an issue with it
Galactica/Air- My favourite flying coaster by far. It actually simulates flying rather than give me heart palpitations and kill me with Gs
Hollywood Dream- Okay, it's **** facing the front but backwards it's actually so fab
Backlot Stunt Coaster- SO MUCH FUN, I always make sure to ride it even if the queue is long
Firehawk- RIP, I loved it so much more than most B&M flyers I have been on
Saw: the Ride- Yay, it's actually fun

Coasters I don't like that others do
Flying Dinosaur- I will not reride this if I go back to Universal Japan. I want to find the person who thought it was an appropriate choice to put the half pretzel loop RIGHT BEFORE the actual pretzel loop (an element I ****ing hate)
Banshee- It gave me heart palpitations and I had to sit out on the next roller coaster because I felt like I was going to die

I can't think of any others that I TRULY dislike apart from those two, because if I listed anymore it would just be ones I find overrated (Helix, the Ultimate, etc).

Basically any coaster that people like for intensity in the form of positive Gs is a coaster I can do without. I hate positive Gs and I find my tolerance for them lowers significantly as the years go by.

Clrun4

Roller Poster
For my own, the choice is quite simple regarding a coaster I like but others don't.

It's Poseidon at Europa-Park ! Ok, the first bit is rouch, but I find it more tolerable with the new seatings (they've put seatings like Atlantica rather than benches) but I still have a good moment when I'm on it ! I especially like the final drop, which is quite fun with the feets and arms lifted.

The other reason I have a soft spot about this coaster is maybe because I've watched it being built in 2000, which is the period I've felt into love for theme parks.
Sentimentalism can be strong with coasters .

Concerning a coaster that I don't like but others people do, I don't really know ...

There's only a few coasters I genuinely hate. It would be Goudurix (made too many times, found it painfull to make me wanna throw up and forceless) and SLC'S (totally ignored El condor when visiting WH) and Furius Baco (that I don't really hate to be honest. The launch and airtime hill, and the inline twist are really good, but it's too painful to me. And I always have the restrain to tighten during the ride, leaving me on the brake run with my bladder crunched).

And for a coaster that I didn't enjoyed as much I would have expected, Lost Gravity maybe.
I've liked it, especially the first drop on the left. But the first camelback have a drop that's too short, and after, the layout is weak. And the ride a bit bouncy for me, you move a lot in the seat.

I've prefered riding Goliath (and Untamed of course #1) in this park than LG. But i would still ride it if I come nearby !

VikingsAf

Mega Poster
The ones I did not like but others do:
- Untamed
- Lost Gravity
- Silver Star (Not sure what others think of this, but I assume it's a liked coaster)

The ones I like and others don't
- Werewolf (Walibi Belgium)
- Vampire (Walibi Belgium) - But only back row :p

emoo

Hyper Poster
Flying Dinosaur- I will not reride this if I go back to Universal Japan. I want to find the person who thought it was an appropriate choice to put the half pretzel loop RIGHT BEFORE the actual pretzel loop

Dude its the best part for some ? possibly for the same reasons you are not a fan. This will be thick spread of Marmite coaster. I am with you all the way in the ones you like though.

Euro Mir is fine and the catalyst for some amasing rides - but I certainly don't love the sound track as some appear to. Its generic dance, woo. But the spiral lift hill itself is silly enough to be cute.

UP87

Mega Poster
Euro Mir is fine and the catalyst for some amasing rides - but I certainly don't love the sound track as some appear to. Its generic dance, woo.
I don't love the soundtrack, either. It's just so short and repeatative. You leave the lifthill and it just continues... At least for me it's more making fun of the soundtrack than loving it.

TommyAlex

Mega Poster
Based on my rather limited coaster count:

Coaster I like - The Big One. It looks great, the first drop is great, the way it interacts with everything is great, and I love the atmosphere that you get in the queue, a mix of people who have ridden it hundreds of times and people terrified as its their first go. Even at 26 years old it still has a "this things a big deal" buzz surrounding it. And I will not stand for these "Har har it's a monorail" snarky comments because a monorail is defined by the fact it's single rail, not the fact it's slow and scenic.

Coaster I dislike - Nemesis. I wouldn't mind so much it if it wasn't for the over praising it receives. It looks nice, I'll give it that, but "most intense rollercoaster in the world"? The cable car ride to get to the damn thing is more intense.

chainedbanana

Hyper Poster
Dude its the best part for some ? possibly for the same reasons you are not a fan. This will be thick spread of Marmite coaster. I am with you all the way in the ones you like though.

Euro Mir is fine and the catalyst for some amasing rides - but I certainly don't love the sound track as some appear to. Its generic dance, woo. But the spiral lift hill itself is silly enough to be cute.

I have the Euromir CD!! - all remixes of the euromir tune! It's always good to RAVE on the spiral lift hill!

AirTra3

Roller Poster
Coaster I like that others don't:

Rougarou at Cedar Point

I have heard some pretty negative things about this ride, so much to the point that I question whether I'm riding the same coaster others are. The layout is solid, and I have never had a rough or headbangy experience on it. Granted, I almost always opt for the very front (there's rarely a line), so that probably has something to do with my perceptions of the ride. But really, its just a good ride IMO. Infinitely better than the utter piece of trash Mantis was at least...

Coaster I don't like that others do:

Magnum at Cedar Point

Ouch. And I mean, just ouch. The airtime at the end truly is one-of-a-kind yes, and it gives great views and everything, but its beaten me up so much to the point that I've recognized its hardly worth it anymore. I've had some good rides on this but my most recent has made my opinion of this coaster drop lower than I could have ever imagined. Seat 6-1: it was the most horrendous experience I've had any coaster in a long time. Shuffling and Arrow clunkiness are things I would say I can handle on a lesser scale, but when ratcheted up to 72 mph, it gets to a level that's just plain unbearable. I still plan on riding it occasionally, but never again will I make the mistake of sitting in the back and/or on wheel seats. The thing's a 200ft mine train...

Rougarou has grown on me over the years! I have so much appreciation for it now and I miss Mantis! Its roar and size is iconic.

witchfinder

Hyper Poster
Coaster I dislike - Nemesis. I wouldn't mind so much it if it wasn't for the over praising it receives. It looks nice, I'll give it that, but "most intense rollercoaster in the world"? The cable car ride to get to the damn thing is more intense.
WTF? ? I mean it definitely isn't the most intense coaster in the world (that sign has been there for 20-odd years probably) but it's definitely the most intense in the park and arguably the country!

Anyway, my picks:

Coasters I like that others don't. Probably Rita and Furius Baco would be the obvious choices. I think Rita is the second best coaster at Alton, don't find it rough at all and love the launch. And then you have Baco - yes it's a bit rough but the launch is incredible and it's a lot of (shaky) fun.

Coasters I don't like that others do. Harder to say as I tend to enjoy most coasters, but I'd say Mystery Mine was very disappointing. Great theming but I don't like the stop-start nature and found it to be one of the rougher Eurofighters. I'd also mention The Smiler and The Big One just because of the GP opinion of them being the best because of "loads of loops" or "it's really big" when in fact they are both painfully average.