What's new

Coasters you can't believe people hate

I'll defend Great Bear here. It has an amazing and unique first drop, a decent and fairly intense layout, with a SLIGHT die-out at the end; however, I didn't find the "dead" part as sucky as some people say. It's one of my favourite inverted coasters.

I liked Boss and the entirety of SFSTL as well. Furius Baco though? UGH. The launch was absolutely incredible and probably the best I've yet to experience (and I've been on Dragster and Ka, two of the faster ones out there), but the rest of the ride blew in my opinion.

Chris Coasters

Strata Poster
I am another one who likes Great Bear. It isn't like Talon, Banshee, or Alpengeist but its still Good by no means is it bad. Hydra is another one I love I rode it so many times when I went to Dorney in 2012. I really need to go back I miss Talon<3

elephant58

Hyper Poster
The Smiler, for me. It's a massive coaster, has a cool setting, bits of airtime here and there and I doubt you're going to find an experience like it anywhere else. Yeah it's a bit rough in places, but on average, it's probably smoother than Nemesis.

GuyWithAStick

Captain Basic
Any B&M Wingrider comes to mind. I don't see how they're "forceless", especially X-Flight. Being the only one I've ridden, I can say it's quite intense, and by no means a slow-paced ride.

I also agree with Great Bear. Again, it's no Banshee, but it's still a fun ride.

SkyRush also comes to mind. Mainly the restraints. It might be because I'm smaller, but I had no problem with the restraints. They were very comfy IMO, and when they slightly released the restraints at the end, I pushed them back down.

Sent from my VS840 4G using Tapatalk

Snoo

The Legend
Skyrush was not GREAT because of the restraints, but it was clearly not bad. I didn't go "OMFG!" like everyone else but I was blown away by it.

I am taller and my thighs are tree trunks and I've heard and saw the bigger the legs, the more it hurt. Of course, we did get ERT which did help enhance the ride (about 12 or so rides in the dark? <3) but if we are talking from when we rode it in the day, it was not stunning.

Oh yeah, I forgot about Swarm. I think everything at Thorpe kind of just has a bad reputation, but because I have sort of an "outsider" perspective of the park (I'm not a local, or from Europe, and I've only been twice so I haven't done it to death), I feel like I might appreciate it more than some. I thought the ride was pretty good, and though not in the upper echelon of my top coasters ever, it's definitely at least a little bit above average.

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
tomahawk said:
X2, if you dislike it, you know less than John Snow.
Tom, pack your bags. You're leaving your wife and running away with me forever.

Snoo said:
Great Bear was great until that drawn out ending. The rest of the ride is amazing then it just DIES after the corkscrew. It's a real shame.
It was you who made people feel this way for years! :p

LiveForTheLaunch said:
I'll defend Great Bear here. It has an amazing and unique first drop, a decent and fairly intense layout, with a SLIGHT die-out at the end; however, I didn't find the "dead" part as sucky as some people say. It's one of my favourite inverted coasters.
Thank you! Great inversions, clever layout; a boring last 5 seconds of the ride is hardly reason to discount an entire coaster.

Snoo

The Legend
Yes. Yes it is. I expect boring in the brake run. The midsection of Raptor after the wingover gives more hate than GB but that is widely appreciated.

DelPiero

Strata Poster
I'm with Snoo on this one, I loved it up until the zero g, after that it started losing momentum really quickly, even the corkscrew didn't do much and then you have the total meandering to the station.
I don't think it's hated, and I'll happily re ride it when I go back because the immelmann is fantastic, but there are much better inverts out there.

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
Since we are bringing up Raptor...

m0coi.jpg

AS a full disclosure Cedar Point fanboy, I still contend that Raptor has some of the greatest inversions out there. So the roller coaster has some straightaways after the MCBR - this leads into a good corkscrew, followed by a downward helix finale. The emphasis on downward opposed to upward helix finales on subsequent B&M creations, upward draining speed from the train and making for a less forceful element.

Sythe

Mega Poster
Great bear!!! It's such an awesome ride, and who cares if it has a boring ending? Would you rather just stop right after the corkscrew? Of course not!
Kingda ka: I haven't been on it yet, but it looks very fun, I don't think it deserves some of the hate it gets.
Volcano: this ride is great, the launches are amazing, and I keep hearing people say it's too short, but that shouldn't matter!
Superman ride of steel: this ride is also amazing and it isn't even close to boring...
I have a lot of others too, but it's just too many , so I'm just going to stop here.

Snoo

The Legend
^Yes. I would. Would you rather end on a high note or end with boring? Think about that logically and you come to the obvious conclusion.

Kingda Ka is great in the front.. but you ride it anywhere else and it makes you want to throw up. TTD, by comparison, is great in all rows.

metalhead7

Mega Poster
I think the issue with the Great Bear is that the lift is only 90 ft. tall. Even though the first drop is much larger, its just naturally runs out of momentum faster than rides like Talon or Raptor which have 130ft lifts. Given the lack of height I think its an incredible ride, the helix before the first drop is surprisingly forceful.