What's new

coasters with multiple 'routes' (future coasters)

chainedbanana

Hyper Poster
I found myself having a little deep dive into the construction of Th13teen (as you do) and reading the old speculation posts at what people though the 'special element would be - and an early 'rumour/theory' was that it would have alternate endings/elements.

And it got me thinking - especially with the technology of switch tracks, turntables and innovations in the last decade or so - that we might indeed see a coaster that has randomised 'different routes' or elements - with each ride being different - and therefore multiple sequences and track sections.

Could be fun from an experience point of view, but a nightmare for the enthusiast who wants the cred - because how would you count a cred that has different parts? say the ride had 10 elements but each ride only ever did 6 of those - and you couldn't control which 6 - so it would take many many rides to achieve all elements!

would riding it once count as the whole cred? even it is was only 60% say of the total track length! would it count as multiple creds? would it be an extra 0.5 or 0.25 of a cred getting the other parts? (ps don't @ me from a maths engineering point of view I'm just using examples from the top of my head ).

Lori Marie Loud

Giga Poster
I found myself having a little deep dive into the construction of Th13teen (as you do) and reading the old speculation posts at what people though the 'special element would be - and an early 'rumour/theory' was that it would have alternate endings/elements.

And it got me thinking - especially with the technology of switch tracks, turntables and innovations in the last decade or so - that we might indeed see a coaster that has randomised 'different routes' or elements - with each ride being different - and therefore multiple sequences and track sections.

Could be fun from an experience point of view, but a nightmare for the enthusiast who wants the cred - because how would you count a cred that has different parts? say the ride had 10 elements but each ride only ever did 6 of those - and you couldn't control which 6 - so it would take many many rides to achieve all elements!

would riding it once count as the whole cred? even it is was only 60% say of the total track length! would it count as multiple creds? would it be an extra 0.5 or 0.25 of a cred getting the other parts? (ps don't @ me from a maths engineering point of view I'm just using examples from the top of my head ).
Primordial at Lagoon is looking to do just that.

Fiender

Roller Poster
I'm not sure what the deal with Primordial is. Aside from that, I'm sure a park is going to try this, but it sounds like the kind of gimmick that would cost a lot for little return. And imagine being the guest who has ridden this ride 20+ times, but hasn't gotten a certain element? Wouldn't that be frustrating AF? You're also talking about a single attraction with a single queue line and a single thru-put, when for the same money, you could likely build multiple, more reliable attractions instead. Each turn table and switch-track is a point of failure and a chance for a breakdown, after all.

CanobieFan

Strata Poster
imagine being the guest who has ridden this ride 20+ times, but hasn't gotten a certain element? Wouldn't that be frustrating AF?
Yeah, it's called Radiator Springs Raceers. Been on it probably 15 times and have yet to get the 'new tires' side at the split, always get the wash side