What's new

Coasters that you'd love to experience backward

BBH

Giga Poster
Reversing the direction of a train on a roller coaster can add a new dimension to the ride. (Nudges X2 as rimshot plays.) It's been a hugely successful endeavor with coasters like American Eagle, Batman: the Ride, and Mindbender (Edmonton Mall), and The Swarm. Here, post some coasters that, regardless of whether or not they've been turned backwards previously, you'd love to ride with some reversed trains. (Or forwards if you haven't ridden X since it was X:\|#![punctuation mark] NWO.)

For me, the winner is Outlaw Run. I can't be bothered to imagine the intensity of that ride backwards.

CPSFMMCW

Mega Poster
I'd love to ride a B&M Hyper backwards. Apollo's Chariot or Diamondback even a coaster like Leviathan. While talking of woodies, probably a coaster like Wild One @ Six Flags America. I think the thing with riding a coaster backwards is that it can't have rapid immediate changes in direction. So I would NOT like to ride Intimidator 305 or Maverick backwards. That would pretty much kill you.

Edward M

Strata Poster
Any ride, really. Millennium Force, Beast, Outlaw Run, any B&M Hyper, Magnum, Toro, or any GCI. I would love to experience any of my favorite rides backwards as long as they don't launch. I hate backwards launches. They just don't do it for me, especially not on something as intense at TTD. You could break your spine.

therick311

Mega Poster
None. Personally, I think backwards is a cheap gimmick.

The exceptions are shuttle coasters and coasters that were originally designed to have backward sections.

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Like therick, none at all. It's a novelty and not an enjoyable experience. I dislike the backwards sections on boomerangs, shuttle coasters and Vekoma Enigma coasters ;) I like to see where I'm going.

I've been lucky enough to do rear facing B&M Wing and Invert coasters. With the exception of the lift hill excitement, the rest felt nauseating.

If was forced to do a coaster backwards, then it would be a Caterpillar Coaster. In fact, the only backwards section of a coaster I've ever really enjoyed was even smaller than that - Miner Mike at Dunes Leisure.
knu0due5kaa7eb000k7irs.jpg

silenthillXD

Hyper Poster
Definitely Oblivion for me, I can't even begin to imagine how crazy that drop would be backwards. Other than that Smiler would be potentially interesting backwards, though I could see alot of people being incredibly nauseated after riding it backwards. Other than that I would have to say Blue Fire or Helix, they both look amazing, and I can see them being smooth enough to do backwards.

Serena

Miss CoasterForce 2016
Staff member
Social Media Team
I don't think 'love' and 'backwards' can go in the same coaster related sentence for me - it's too sickly to enjoy. Maybe a B+M flyer would be interesting backwards though, if I had to pick one.

PeskyTrimBrake

Hyper Poster
Kingda Ka or Top thrill Dragster would be interesting. The feeling people will get when they see the bottom when going up the tower would be priceless.

CanobieFan

Strata Poster
So.... pretty much what Superman at Magic Mountain is already doing? :p
As for me, I'm a fan of backwards coasters. I'm really bummed that Cedar Fair stopped it on all the ex-Para racers.
I'd love to try any woodie really.... But if I had to pick one, I'd go with Dash (although I've already ridden it in the back seat while turned looking backwards :))

rollermonkey

Strata Poster
Of all the rides I've ridden in both directions (not just shuttles, but woodies that got turned around, too) I have preferred the forwards experience every time.

So to answer the question:

None.

gopats1479

Mega Poster
Mr. Freeze was drastically improved when it was reversed. Beyond that, from the coasters that I've ridden, Xcelerator. Anything else would ruin the ride.