What's new

Coasters that vary massively depending on where you sit

Matt N

CF Legend
Hi guys. I apologise if there is already a thread like this. I searched the forum and couldn't find one. Anyway, what coasters would you guys say vary depending on where you are seated? For example, there might be a ride where if you sit in the front, you get a wonderfully smooth ride filled with airtime, but if you sit towards the back, it's really rough and has less airtime. I think a good candidate for a coaster that varies depending on where you sit is The Smiler. I've been riding The Smiler since the year it opened, and until this July, I was always allocated either the front row or the second row, for some bizarre reason. And I never found The Smiler too rough on these rows, just a bit rough around the edges. Well, in July I was allocated the back row, and... let's just say it was a bit more brutal than the front 2 rows! Nowhere near Colossus, Rita or Dragon Challenge levels of brutal, but still more brutal than the front. When I rode it in the front row later that day, it was ever so slightly worse than when I last rode it in April 2016, but nowhere near as rough as in the back! Smiler is currently my #6, but if it's rough when I next ride, I may have to knock it down a few places! So, what coasters do you guys think vary massively depending on where you sit? Do you agree with me, or do you think Smiler's glossy smooth wherever you sit?

JSM

Mega Poster
Haven't been on it but I've heard horror stories of Kingda Ka in the back half of the train.

JoshC.

Strata Poster
My experience of some Gerstlauers has been very mixed depending on where I've sat.

-Saw can be a bit hit and miss. My experiences have been nowhere near as bad as others, but some seats/cars are just bad.
-Smiler is again very hit and miss. I find it quite rough anyway, but some seats are truly terrible.
-Anubis at Plopsaland. This is so frustrating as at the front it's a solid ride, but at the back it's so violent and uncomfortable.

astead04

Roller Poster
Colossus at Thorpe Park and Furius Baco at PortAventura.
Both are amazing in the front row and not too rough.
In the back row they can cause a concussion.

MestnyiGeroi

Giga Poster
Haven't been on it but I've heard horror stories of Kingda Ka in the back half of the train.
I've heard this view a lot, but in my personal experience, the back isn't all that rough. However, Kingda Ka is a good choice for this thread because the front row (or even the second row, which is raised up front the front row, so it also gets the direct wind rush) feels far more intense than the rest of the coaster.

Reactions: JSM

MestnyiGeroi

Giga Poster
Carowinds' Intimidator in the front row has great pops of airtime (and a great view), but not much else; Intimidator in the back row (my favorite) has intense whips down the drops, but nothing else. In the middle of the train you get a mix, but an inferior version of both. For me, it's like a completely different coaster depending where you sit.

Mack

Mega Poster
Twisted Colossus, Goliath (SFMM), El Toro (SFGAdv), the old Mean Streak used to be not that bad in front row. Usually on trains with three rows per car the center row is smoothest because it isn't above any wheels.

VTCGA5

Roller Poster
Boss at SFSTL vibrates like crazy near the front of the train, but the back rows are smooth(ish). Much better ride back there

DelPiero

Strata Poster
Most coasters provide very differing perspectives, some are downright impossible to enjoy in one seat and pretty good in another. Plus there's the added factor of everyone having different tastes, for example;
I'd add EGF - front 3 or 4 rows are very good, middle and back are meh
is bollocks. The back left is the best seat on EGF in my opinion.
And;
Carowinds' Intimidator in the front row has great pops of airtime (and a great view), but not much else; Intimidator in the back row (my favorite) has intense whips down the drops, but nothing else. In the middle of the train you get a mix, but an inferior version of both. For me, it's like a completely different coaster depending where you sit.
I agree with the bold, front and 2nd row give great floater airtime and a bit of ejector near the end. Back i didn't even get the whip he describes.

Point being there's soooooo many creds out there which vary that it's hard to collate into one thread.

Here's one from me though, Goliath (SFNE). Front row, smooth, intense, not a horror show. Everywhere else, a scene from The Descent.

MestnyiGeroi

Giga Poster
Here's one from me though, Goliath (SFNE). Front row, smooth, intense, not a horror show. Everywhere else, a scene from The Descent.

This explains a lot to me. My one ride on this was in the front row. It was intense and fun. Whenever I heard (and continue to hear) people talking about how painful this ride is, I could only shrug.

Sandman

Giga Poster
Dwervelwind offers some interesting differences depending on where you're sat and which spin cycle you get. @Howie and I seemed to get a slightly differing experience each ride, which made it fun and interesting!