What's new

Coasters that exceeded expectations.

Shirofukurou

Mega Poster
Sue: answering your Morgan question, I was very, very surprised at how insanely good Phantom's Revenge was. The only Morgan coaster I had previously done was Steel Force which I didn't like, and was expecting Phantom to kind of be the same but with the one big drop. Hell. No! It was absolutely packed with airtime, with the final leg of the ride rivalling Superman SFNE. It was absolutely fantastic, especially at night.

Another good surprise was Great Adventure's Joker: expected to be kinda sucky but ended up being a lot of fun, if a bit short. Still not sure if all the cloning is a good idea, though.

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
I've done all the Morgan hypers except Steel Eel and the one in Mexico. Steel Dragon 2000 isn't simply an outsized version; they're night and day.

Phantom's Revenge is different really; it was a redesign of an existing coaster, and is definitely a lot better than the generic design of the others.

Those others are fun, with maybe a touch of airtime in places, but they're not really close to Phantom and a million miles away from SD2000.

Youngster Joey

Strata Poster
Firechaser express: Great family coaster that was a lot of fun.

Verbolten: by far my biggest surprise of the 2012 us live, was a lot of fun and I was sad we only got one ride.

Lightning Run at Kentucky Kingdom: Great airtime excellent layout and forces and when we hit the break run, Hixee said it best. "Why aren't there more of these!?!"

Hutch

Strata Poster
I mean, most of my Top Ten exceeded high expectations, but I'll just mention the ones out of the list.

Lightning Run - Airtime was a lot more intense than I thought, especially on the bunny hops. I agree that there needs to be more of these.

Verbolten - It helped that I was pretty unfamiliar with it. The inside portion blew me away and I loved the variety of fun elements it had. Don't know if I would enjoy it as much as I did three years ago, but right now it's still in my Top 20.

Gatekeeper - Figured it would be another enjoyable wing rider but it was fab! Lovely, long ride with smooth laterals and hang time.

What else..

Flight of Fear - Didn't expect much but it was good. With it being indoors, the general turns actually became pretty enjoyable. Plus the launch was fun and you have lap bars!

Colossus TP - Expectations were low, but it turned out to be pretty solid. Especially those barrel rolls!

Journey to Atlantis SWO - Had no idea about the coaster section.

SooperDooperLooper - It's actually kinda dull but I really enjoyed it.

Mysterious Sue

Strata Poster
gavin said:
I've done all the Morgan hypers except Steel Eel and the one in Mexico. Steel Dragon 2000 isn't simply an outsized version; they're night and day.

Phantom's Revenge is different really; it was a redesign of an existing coaster, and is definitely a lot better than the generic design of the others.

Those others are fun, with maybe a touch of airtime in places, but they're not really close to Phantom and a million miles away from SD2000.
Thanks for that Gavin - very useful to take into account for future trip planning. Strange how SD2K is so much better than all the others. I guessed that might be the case, but good to see that it's true.

caffeine_demon

Strata Poster
Blue streak - cedar point. just good old school fun!
Blackpool wild mouse and steeplechase.
Orkanen - farup sommerland -
Collossos - Heide park
Any Gerstlauer bobsled
second go on pandemonium at sfne
Sliver star on my second visit.

ukthemeparkfan

Roller Poster
mines The Swarm what I thought was it going to be dull and force-less like air but felt it it ending up being what air should have been.

Two really stick out for me.

1) Eejanaika- Thought it was going to be awful based on how it looked from the ground. It looked really rough, uncomfortable, and rattly, but it turned out to be my new number one so yay

2) Boardwalk Bullet- LOVEDDD it, and it never crossed my mind that it was even going to be a top twenty coaster yet it cracked my top ten. It had decent airtime, a long and relentless layout, and I laughed the entire way through.

JoshC.

Strata Poster
Goliath at Walibi Holland was a nice surprise for me. Wasn't expecting much, and even when I got to the station and had gone round the dull, lifeless plaza and queue I ws expecting it to be average. But I ended up really enjoying it!

andrus

Giga Poster
AshleyScared said:
Goliath at Six Flags New England. Thought it was gonna suck, dead wrong.
Second that! (at least before they swaped the trains.. )

I also was hugely surpriced with Juvelen at Djurs Sommerland! Haden't heard much of the ride at the time since it was brand new when we went. And sure, it looks like a fun family ride, with a funky seating position. But nothing spectacular. But boy was I wrong!! What an amazing ride :--D Full of speed, force and snappy transitions; jumped (rightfully) straight into my top 10!

Cbrunelle

Roller Poster
Viper, SF Great America. I thought it would be one and done but WOW that cyclone clone has air and smoothness I didn't think possible.