What's new

Choose 5 Coasters to Ride for the Rest of Your Life

Hutch

Strata Poster
I've been thinking of this idea for a while now, and that similar "You can only ride one manufacture" topic a little while ago (forget who started that topic, sorry) brought the idea back to my attention.

I think the title is pretty self-explanatory. A common initial thought may be "Well my Top 5 obvs" but that may not be the best option. You gotta be sure to include some variety and make sure the rides are rerideable.

Here's what I would have.

Skyrush - Intamin airtime machine. (Plus I kind of have to include it since my No. 1 ;))
Boulder Dash - wild and stupidly fun woodie.
Nemesis - Old school B&M and more inversion focused.
Wicked Cyclone - mix of smooth airtime and inversion.
Top Thrill Dragster - Intense launch coaster.

So it's not completely in my Top 5 (decided not to include Millennium Force because apparently it gets boring after a while). I think there's a good amount of variety in there to enjoy for a lifetime (obviously the majority are airtime-filled, but each has their own different elements as well).

Skyrush, Dash, and Nemesis are easy ones because I've had plenty of rides on each of them, and I've come to know that they get better and better as you ride them.

After that it gets a bit tricky for me. At first I couldn't decide between Wicked Cyclone or Nitro (I wanted to include a nice floater ride) but I have a feeling Nitro and the gentle floater could end up becoming a bit stale afterward. I decided on Cyclone because it offers more variety and I've ridden it plenty more than Nitro to know that doesn't get old.

For my 5th choice (a nice launch coaster) I was actually torn between TTD and Storm Runner. I've only ridden each a handful of times, but I think I've decided on Dragster because it's more intense and (from what it seems like) doesn't to get boring after years of riding it.

I hope this makes sense to others and I'm interested to see what people say and why.

GuyWithAStick

Captain Basic
SkyRush, Lightning Run, Outlaw Run, Voyage, and Viper(GAm). All have insane airtime and consistency. Also, they're not all 100% uber-intense. It's nice to have a break from intensity for a bit.

Sent from my VS820 using Tapatalk

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Outlaw Run, Helix, Shambz, Top Thrill and Boulder Dash.

They aren't necessarily my top 5 creds but there's a nice variety there to keep me entertained.

Smithy

Strata Poster
Balder, Helix, Shambhala, Nemesis, Velocity.

Khan, Smiler, Swarm, Batman and Superman are all ahead of Velocity in my top 10 but I think they're all a bit too intense and I just love Velocity and could ride it over and over again, so wheras I enjoy these five rides more as a one off, they're all a bit too much to keep riding over and over.

Balder is just amazing, ride after ride I don't think I'd tire of it.

Helix likewise.

Shambhala gets a 'bit' much after a while but if offers something the others just don't in terms of height and sensation of sustained speed.

Nemesis is just so much fun.

Velocity as above, if I fancied a break from the more intense rides it'd split them up nicely.

ATTACKHAMMER

Strata Poster
I'm going to go for variety:

1: Katun. It's my number 1! The most forceful coaster I have ridden.

2: Helix. Absolutely brilliant all round coaster, it has the the complete package! Launches, speed and interaction with scenery.

3: Dodonpa. The launch is simple incredible!

4: Space Mountain (WDW). Space Mountain always makes me smile! I love the whole experience of walking into the building and the fab queue line, plus the planets as you leave the building.

5: Steel Dragon 2000. Speed, great views and fantastic drops.

ThomVD

Giga Poster
Helix, Shambhala, Black Mamba, Joris en de Draak and Expedition GeForce.

Helix has a bit of everything and is my #1. Shambhala for the beautiful floater airtime. Black Mamba for the intensity and because it's an invert. Joris en de Draak when I'm craving some re-ridable wood. Lastly, EGF for brilliant ejector airtime.

TilenB

Strata Poster
^ Cu Chulainn isn't reridable?

If I were to chose I'd take X2 for the craziness, Katun due to its fab forces and because I love inverts, Goliath, since it's my favorite airtime laden coaster, Tatsu, since it's a fab flyer and Troy for some wood. :D

ThomVD

Giga Poster
Cu Chulainn is deffo re-ridable too, but I just can't live without my Joris <//3 I feel that if I ride Cu Chulainn too much, the same thing will happen as what happened to Troy; it might lose the wow-factor.

CanobieFan

Strata Poster
For sure I'll take these 4....
Boulder Dash - Lake Compounce
Yankee Cannonball - Canobie Lake Park
Kumba - Busch Gardens Tampa
Fury 325 - Carowinds

but for the fifth I'm not sure, maybe El Toro at Great Adventure

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
- Outlaw Run
- X2
- Skyrush
- Top Thrill Dragster
- Helix

jay37415

Mega Poster
I would go with..

Son of Beast
Ninja - SFOG
Steel Phantom
Shockwave
.. wouldn't be a fifth cause my life would end if I rode all of those in one shot

SilverArrow

Certified Ride Geek
I don't feel like I've ridden enough outstanding coasters for this but here goes.

Montu
Kraken
Cheetah Hunt
Scorpion (woo!)
Hulk

Basically, Florida. Also thought about adding Gwazi (only for a second) or White Lightning haha.

Sent from my XT1039 using Tapatalk

S

SimonSays99

- (Schwarzkopf) Thriller
- Olympia-Looping
- Skyrush
- Helix
- Expedition GeForce

And five flats...
- Weber Traumboot
- Schwarzkopf Monster
- HUSS Break Dance No.2
- HUSS TopSpin
- HUSS MegaDance

Coaster Hipster

Giga Poster
Good topic idea!

I would choose 5 coasters of a different type for variety.

Flash (Lewa Adventure), awesome first drop, big airtime hills and a crazy snapping zero-g
Starry Sky Ripper (Joyland), 540° roll into a looping on the back... looks so intense!
Anaconda (Gold Reef City), I just love the long helix followed by a double corkscrew
Eagle's Fortress (RIP, Everland), the swing of this one looked terrific!
Thundercoaster (Tusenfryd), a classic woodie with lots of airtime

BigBad

Mega Poster
Diamondback
Millennium Force
El Toro
Skyrush
Nitro

That's my top 5, but Nitro and Diamondback aren't all that different, so I'd replace it with something quite different from the others. It has to go upside down, and riding below the track makes a lot of sense to contrast the other four.

So I end up with:
Diamondback
Millennium Force
El Toro
Skyrush
Banshee

Diamondback gives amazing floater air over every hill. Skyrush and El Toro give insane ejector air in two different styles (steel vs. wood). MF is tall, fast, and smooth. Banshee sticks me under the track and flips me upside down a bunch of times.

Alaeriia

Roller Poster
Boulder Dash
Nemesis
Wicked Cyclone
Helix
Kumba

All top-tier rides, providing a variety of experiences. Dash has laterals, Nemesis is amazing, Wicked Cyclone has crazy air, Helix is an all-around package, and Kumba is huge and awesome.

Levo_Films

Roller Poster
I would go something like this:

1. Fury 325
2. Afterburn
3. Millennium Force
4. Superman: The Ride (sfne)
5: Superman: Ultimate Flight (sfga)

It is very tough though.