What's new

Chimera [RLRides B&M Floorless] - DOWNLOAD AND VIDEO ONLINE

bob_3_

Giga Poster
Soooo it happened again. Feeling abit exhausted of the bigger projects I went into FVD and started playing arounf with a modern shaped B&M Floorless (like Hot Wheels Nitro in India). I asked around about what elements to add and was challenged with a few ideas then worked out how to make those suggestions work. It actually turned into quite a good layout that I actually like (this was never the intention) and this is what popped out.

I named it Chimera which is an organism made up of cells of another, or a mythical beast made up of the parts of other animals, which is fitting considering the elements used and the way the thing was designed. I may look to do more with the ride, but I just wanted to show some of the shaping in it's rawest form.

201106-2.jpg

201106-3.jpg

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Either deliberately subtle, or coincidently unfortunate - you haven't included the turnaround after the airtime hill in either of those shots. Knowing you, there's probably something strange lurking out of shot. :p

Non-inverting loop aside (which is no criticism I might add), that looks wonderfully new-age B&M.

I do wonder about the tightness of the roll at the top of the loop though - do the trains have enough articulation to make it through that?

bob_3_

Giga Poster
Quick update, change of tone and theme and colours. Gone for something a little unconventional, I've always thought B&Ms should have bright bold schemes, but I decided to give this one a pastel pallette, but added a hot pink to punch through it. Brain storming with ParkScape on how the area will look, but heading down a summer, boardwalk, surfer type vibe. I wanted something positive and bright to escape the winter we're having. Anyway, screens.

210120-1.jpg

210120-2.jpg

210121-1.jpg

The shades are still in the process of being tweaked, but I think... it's working.

Artboard-1.jpg

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
I like it! I think the palm trees are setting the tone well, and I reckon some nice boardwalk decking and sand around the area and that could work really well.

bob_3_

Giga Poster
Just a few more screens, small progress but taken forever to get the colours working. The trains are now properly painted and we now have a beach!

210121-4.jpg

210122-3.jpg

210122-4.jpg

And that turn around I hide from ya.

210122-5.jpg

If anyone has any references to places, buildings, artwork or music that would work with this, that'd be much appriciated. I'm trying to make something to escape to out of winter and into the height of summer.

Last edited:

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
I was thinking something like:

Santa Cruz:
Santa-Cruz-Beach-Boardwalk-450x600.jpg

Monterey Bay Wharf:
5895ed72fafda7b6cebdacf50d6c9442.jpg

Fisherman's Wharf / Pier 39 San Francsico:
pier-39-stores-and-carousel-in-fishermans-wharf-san-francisco-california-J0M2CR.jpg

Gotta do a bit of flicking around for pictures. For every one of these decent ones, there's half a dozen **** ones. :p

oriolat2

Giga Poster
Strong Millennium Force lighting package vibes right there!

Chimera looks great and a bit unconventional for a B&M, but I think you've done a great job with the ride and its surroundings!

bob_3_

Giga Poster
Chimera-Pridew-Poster3.jpg

Background -

Chimera is a floorless coaster with B&M’s first non-inverting loop built on a LGBTQI+ friendly small park by the sea.

Design -

The layout first came about by asking members of the NLC Discord to give me the next element to fit in and trying to make it work. I ended up really liking the result and the name given is a reflection of how it was created.

Layout -

137ft Twisted Drop
Non-Inverting Loop
Air-Time Hill
Overbank
Zero-G Roll
Junior Immelmann
Upward Carousel
Flatspin
Final Brake Run

Notes-

Thanks everyone on NLC for helping me push my design and presentation. Also thanks to everyone who’s contributed to the NLC Resource Thread, almost everything in this park is from there. Shout out jpau once again for helping me with supports.

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
This was great - of course.

The non-inverting loop is curious. I can't help but feel like this is a bit too far fetched for B&M (or at least for the B&M we know today), and I do wonder if you'd be asking a bit much of the train couplings, but it was great fun to ride!

The rest of the layout is good, has a good mix of inversions and other elements, and is beautifully smooth.

As you've shown over the last few years, your landscape building is also stellar in this. I love the little boardwalk style, and the lighting package at night was awesome! The slightly softer (for lack of a better word) colour scheme was nice too, worked well with the aesthetic.

Yeah, brilliant stuff.