What's new

Chessington changes for 2012

Martyn B

CF Legend
Re: Chessington to make drastic impovements for 2012

^ Replace a (once) unique dark water ride for a ride that we already have 3 of in the UK....? :?

Ollie

CF Legend

^Yes because it would be good for the park and there isn't one in the south.

Why did they add a Disk-O to Wild Asia if there's a clone just at Paultons Park and loads more smaller ones all over the UK?

marc

CF Legend
Chessington to make drastic impovements for 2012

This is the thing stop improving on 15 year old rides get something new.

The people we met there love the park and have such enthusiasm I just don't get what is happening there.

Nemesis Inferno

Strata Poster

Madhouse in Bubbles would probs require a fair amount of extra building work due to being above Vampire and even potentially the height of the drum (honestly no idea here)...

Besides, there would be a LOT of wasted space... I've always felt that Temple of Mayhem could house one, and potentially hold a good theme inside as well... Woo for generic temple stories!

Easiest thing to do with Bubbles is gut the theming only and start again afresh... Simple as, but NOT going back to the original as that's dead and that's that... Bringing it back wouldn't be the same and would be a very poor idea and show a lack of imagination and creativity... Let alone show that all Chessie seem to do now is cling to the past and not think forward...

Of course, doesn't help with other areas of the park, but hell they would get a lot of points if they made Bubbles good again (which would require a lot of work)... But for god sake just build a new coaster... With high throughput... And on a similar scale as Fury... RAWR!

SaiyanHajime

CF Legend

Would an indoors coaster fit in Bubbleworks? I guess it would, but It won't happen because of the cost involved. But that could be a fantastic way around the planning woes...

Aaron

Hyper Poster
Chessington to make drastic impovements for 2012

Retheme to something scary (or spooky - families and all) to fit in with Transylvania?

That would be amaze but I doubt it would happen lol

Communicating through the ether... (tapatalk)

spicy

Giga Poster

Joey said:
Would an indoors coaster fit in Bubbleworks? I guess it would, but It won't happen because of the cost involved. But that could be a fantastic way around the planning woes...

Thats what I suggested through the survey, im sure theres enough room it looks like quite a large warehouse that houses the bubbleworks.

nadroJ

CF Legend

Although it would be extremely sad to see Bubbleworks go, I'm in agreement that Chessington really do need to move on to something fresh and completely new. I just want to see something on a larger scale, but I know there are things like toilets etc, that need addressing before they can progress with any sort of large scale project =[

Mysterious Sue

Strata Poster

I love Chessie's toilets (I think it's the ones behind Womb Blaster) where there are urinals in the womens. Everyone does a double take when they go in, thinking they've gone in the wrong ones!

Seriously though, I'd be sad to see Bubbleworks go, for entirely selfish and nostalgic reasons. I would have thought it would make more sense to keep them for now when they still pull crowds, and get something new to up their ride count, instead of replacing what's already there! Efteling and Phantasialand have hung on to old rides and keep them for the nostalgic value, but that doesn't mean they haven't added anything new and better

Ollie

CF Legend

Mysterious Sue said:
I love Chessie's toilets (I think it's the ones behind Womb Blaster) where there are urinals in the womens. Everyone does a double take when they go in, thinking they've gone in the wrong ones!
Lol really? Why's that? :p

I don't reckon they need a coaster in the Bubbleworks building as you've already got Vampire right next to it.
Nemesis Inferno said:
Madhouse in Bubbles would probs require a fair amount of extra building work due to being above Vampire and even potentially the height of the drum (honestly no idea here)...
Only part of Bubbleworks is above the Vampire station. If you put the madhouse in the fountain finale section then it'll be easy to put at the end and it'll be away from where the building extends over the top of Vampire.
It would be cool though. As then they'd have all the space to make a pre-show and effects room and have a decently themed indoor queue. And if there's any space left over they could possibly make it into a themed restaurant or something. :)

SaiyanHajime

CF Legend

I think in all honesty a mad house is a bad idea. Need something more thrilling.

nealbie

CF Legend

Joey said:
Need something more thrilling.

I disagree. What Chessington needs is to find itself a target market and move out of being the 'awkward middle' between Legoland and Thorpe.

From what I've seen and heard and know, Chessington performed as well as (if not slightly better) in terms of visitor numbers than Thorpe Park over the summer. So there's clearly an amazing base to build on should their marketing team eventually decide on actually inventing a target audience. Because that's what they need to do - Legoland took advantage of their own product and its global audience; and Thorpe Park took advantage of modern youth culture to create (on paper) a thrill-seekers paradise.

But at the moment what Chessington does is clearly not working towards that goal. As much as I love Zebras (admittedly they got the wrong ones, but that's beside the point :p ) and animals in general; that (lots of zoo additions, etc) - combined with new themed lands no further advanced than a child who's just discovered the delights of RCT2 - is not going to find them a market gap and allow them to change away from what they are, which IS the awkward middle-child.

At the same time however, it doesn't necessarily have to. As I've pointed out, it's not lagging behind in visitor numbers compared to its sister park - so it's successful enough to carry on as-is. It doesn't NEED to change into something else, it's just a tad frustrating that they don't.

We all know that they're even more restricted than Alton in terms of what they can get away with building/doing, but I rather liked their idea of making lots of new 'Wild' lands (although I'd hope they'd be a bit more imaginitive in the styling for future theming than Wild Asia), what happened to that? It's not like they don't have the money. I don't know how it works, whether Merlin give money out to each park centrally or if they operate as individual parks within the chain? If it's the former, then OK, that's a reasonable excuse - but if it's the latter, then there's no excuse to be had.

As for Bubbleworks. In fitting with their supposed plan to make lots of different continents/lands then I'd like to just see it fit in better with Vampire and Transylvania.

Screaming Coasters

Strata Poster

A Madhouse in Bubbleworks will not happen due to the fact that Bubbleworks sits directly on top of Vampires station. It's literally planks of wood that separates vampires ceiling and the Bubbleworks floor. No way will it ever be strong enough to support a Madhouse.

SaiyanHajime

CF Legend

nealbie said:
Joey said:
Need something more thrilling.

I disagree. What Chessington needs is to find itself a target market and move out of being the 'awkward middle' between Legoland and Thorpe.

From what I've seen and heard and know, Chessington performed as well as (if not slightly better) in terms of visitor numbers than Thorpe Park over the summer. So there's clearly an amazing base to build on should their marketing team eventually decide on actually inventing a target audience. Because that's what they need to do - Legoland took advantage of their own product and its global audience; and Thorpe Park took advantage of modern youth culture to create (on paper) a thrill-seekers paradise.

But at the moment what Chessington does is clearly not working towards that goal. As much as I love Zebras (admittedly they got the wrong ones, but that's beside the point :p ) and animals in general; that (lots of zoo additions, etc) - combined with new themed lands no further advanced than a child who's just discovered the delights of RCT2 - is not going to find them a market gap and allow them to change away from what they are, which IS the awkward middle-child.

At the same time however, it doesn't necessarily have to. As I've pointed out, it's not lagging behind in visitor numbers compared to its sister park - so it's successful enough to carry on as-is. It doesn't NEED to change into something else, it's just a tad frustrating that they don't.

We all know that they're even more restricted than Alton in terms of what they can get away with building/doing, but I rather liked their idea of making lots of new 'Wild' lands (although I'd hope they'd be a bit more imaginitive in the styling for future theming than Wild Asia), what happened to that? It's not like they don't have the money. I don't know how it works, whether Merlin give money out to each park centrally or if they operate as individual parks within the chain? If it's the former, then OK, that's a reasonable excuse - but if it's the latter, then there's no excuse to be had.

As for Bubbleworks. In fitting with their supposed plan to make lots of different continents/lands then I'd like to just see it fit in better with Vampire and Transylvania.
It totally needs to find focus, but I think the idea that thrill rides are a bad idea is a fallacy. Check out my recent blog post on it, it pretty much covers everything I'd say in response to you here. I think you'll enjoy it actually, it's a lot of what you've observed. http://hajimesthemeparkblog.blogspot.co ... s-and.html

As far as I know, the development of the "wild" lands is on going but they are getting distracted (as usual) by zoo developments. Next years revamp of the bird and monkey garden is, by the looks of it, south American themed... And that corner of the park up there is America. I'm hoping the petting zoo get's a retheme to a wild west style ranch and the whole thing becomes "Wild Americas".

peep

CF Legend

Thought I'd share the latest rumours about what's going on.

Apparently the zoo update has been cancelled due to lack of funds (wtf?) and ToyTown will be getting a Madagascar theme with a new show area. Jumbos is reportedly moving to the rodeo site to make room for the show area.

Planning application has recently been submitted into the system for the retheme...

Link

If this is all true I've lost all hope of Chessington becoming the park that it should be. Apparently attendance has been excellent for the park this year so why the rumours of funding issues for new projects? Why are management so clueless as to what the park needs and what the guests want? Urgh.

Nemesis Inferno

Strata Poster

Request to change the thread title please...

YAY A **** SHOW BASED ON AN IP! Jesus wept...

Ben

CF Legend

peep said:
Why are management so clueless as to what the park needs and what the guests want? Urgh.

But, what the park needs is NOT a bloody zoo update! Another addition to the zoo is the LAST thing that place needs.

Not saying this show stuff is it either, but, eh, can't mourn the loss of ANOTHER bit of bloody zoo work.

Actually, come to think of it, it's a popular IP which fits into the park's theme and target audience, that will redevelop arguably the grottiest area of the park? I'm on board this train!

SaiyanHajime

CF Legend
Apparently the zoo update has been cancelled due to lack of funds (wtf?) and ToyTown will be getting a Madagascar theme with a new show area.
This... Makes no sense. That doesn't mean it's not plausible though, this is Chessington. One thing we've learnt of Chessington is that they make no sense, change their minds last minute and waste what little money they are given in the wrong areas.

I don't believe the Madagascar rumour, on the basis of ... Why would Dreamworks have pulled out of Alton, but be content with what is inevitably going to be the lowest of low budget rethemes for a small park like Chessington?

Yeah, just. No. But again, this is Chessington, where logic flies out the window.

Do I think a Madagascar retheme would be good? Yes, I do. I think it's not shy of perfect, with the right funding. Fact is, even if the rumour is true, there will not be a masses of funding.

I recon there is an ounce of truth in the Madagascar rumour. I suspect it's what the park wanted, or the re-theme IS to Madagascar, but the country... not the film. Or perhaps it's just a massively delayed rumour and was something they were looking into back when Shrek for Alton was being worked on. Who knows.

If this new plan goes ahead (which, despite it being so late n the day, would not surprise me if it does not) I imagine Jumbos will be moved without a retheme. I imagine the retheme will be minimal AT BEST. I imagine some sort of stage where Jumbos is.

I worry that the park is putting too much emphasis on entertainments. Their entertainments team IS good, but I worry that being good isn't enough. Fact is, few people care about shows unless they are so outstanding they entertain even those who otherwise hate them. (Disney and Universal standards +... Yes, Plus.) Entertainments such as shows must cost more to run than any other attraction at Chessie.

I worry that a lot of Chessington's budget gets lost on research and development that never gets followed through. They perform U turns at the last minute all the time.

I'm gutted about the monkey bird garden not going ahead, if that is true, on a personal level. Such attractions DO NOT bring guests through the door and half the guests in the park at least would have no idea it even existed. But what these attractions are good at is making people have a better time than was expected. The reason Chessington has the highest annual pass holder attendance is because it's a nice park to be in and has several attractions with "reride" value, thanks to the animals. Animals do something different every time and the interactive attractions such as the lorikeet house and petting zoo are "better than expected" style attractions. I'm starting to believe that such attractions are really good for a park like Chessington, who no matter what are never going to be able to pull in guests with some outstanding looking ride... And even if they managed it, it would be a "looked great but was crap" kind of ride (like Kobra).

marc

CF Legend
When we went to the media day they were quiet clear that they wanted to avoid tie inns with other companies, unless this has changed as well who knows I mean lets face it hardly anything they spoke about has actually happened which upsets. They need a budget to work with and a plan (which they had). Maybe they need some one at the top to go there and just things sorted.

They need to do work on the park and fast its looking older and older, paint is not longer doing the job.

Either get new rides or just make it a zoo and make it clear that is the direction they are going to take.

They keep on saying that the Vampire is the most popular ride there, but come on lets face it what else is there really.

spicy

Giga Poster
A Madagasgar theme would be perfect for Chessington, however if it has got minimal funding then I can't see it happening purely for the point Joey raised:

Joey said:
I don't believe the Madagascar rumour, on the basis of ... Why would Dreamworks have pulled out of Alton, but be content with what is inevitably going to be the lowest of low budget rethemes for a small park like Chessington?

Its such a shame because if it was done right a Madagasgar land in Chessington could be really good. Seems so unfair that all the Merlin parks get £12 Million + investments yet Chessington has to get by on minimal funding every year.