What's new

Chessington changes for 2012

SaiyanHajime

CF Legend
Re: Chessington to make drastic impovements for 2012

Ian said:
They're getting something "big" in 2013. That's what park management told me anyway. Who know, it seems to chop and change all the time.
This.

The problem is "something big" means a coaster in most enthusiasts eyes so we'll probably be disappointed if it's anything less than a coaster.
This.

After Sunday's visit, they do need a coaster as they are the biggest crowd pullers. The coaster queues were at least twice as long compared to the flats...even Tomb Blaster's was shorter!
This.

The problem is that Chessington for so long didn't know what to do. Now they seem to know, but years of failing to meet targets has, I recon, meant they get less funding. I'm not sure though.

I think they need a mid-size coaster too, something that's a step up from Fury, but I can't see it happening any time soon. I just love the idea that Chessington is where kids can come back year after year and ride something new - not because there is anything new, but because they were too short before. I grew up that way, I want others to enjoy the place as I did.

CoasterCrazy

Giga Poster

Mysterious Sue said:
As for a Eurofighter - don't even get me started!
I've just thought of the special power I would like to have (from the super hero topic). It would be the power to destroy all Eurofighters in a volley of fire and hate.

Perhaps not a Eurofighter then...maybe another compact coaster (probably without inversions), infact if they chop down some of the trees then there's actually a surprising amount of space in Wild Asia...saying all of this it could just be a flat ride!

Ian said:
They're getting something "big" in 2013. That's what park management told me anyway. Who know, it seems to chop and change all the time.

I reckon they could make another 'land' next to the edge of dragons fury and vampire on the large green. When I walked past it on Wednesday barely anyone was using it and there was a large board fence at the end of it...
not sure if it's just the edge of the park though.

I could barely see in but all there was was some overgrown plants...

Could CWOA possibly be making space for a new attraction????? :wink:

EDIT:Or am I being too optimistic?

jokerman

Giga Poster

I hope they don't get rid of that lovely field. It's part of what I think makes Chessington special.

Mysterious Sue

Strata Poster

The boarded up fence is a dumping ground for dismantled rides and the like. Not long ago there was lots of Beanoland stuff still kicking about.

There's always talk about them doing something with that field (1 below), and it seems a sensible idea to do something with it, because as you say, not many people use it. However, remember Chessie is about the kids, and they want to keep some green space for families to picnic and play ball games. It seems to me that they have built up the area outside Hocus Pocus over the last few years for this, and abandoned the bit of green by the fence...so you never know. There is also the little bit of green near the front of the park (next to the Gorillas 2 on the map). They would have to make alterations to the monorail to do something in this area though. But the monorail is very old and in bad shape nowadays anyway. The trees behind Wild Asia (3) possibly help to break up the sound from local residents, and I think they look nice anyway, so I wouldn't want them to go. I am pretty confident they will not touch Wild Asia with a barge pole anyway - it's too new and has been too well received.

untitled.jpg

Lots of people have suggested a rapids or other wet family ride as being a wise next move for Chessie. As a lover of coasters this would be disappointing, but as a lover of Chessington, I think it would be the right thing to do. Imagine a rapids-style ride round the new Africa section! That would be great! They obviously want to continue the interaction of people with the animals as shown by the new monkey walkway plans.

The other option would be a family-friendly coaster with a small footprint. Those of us who visited Plopsaland last year thought that Anubis (the tiny Gerstlauer launch coaster) would be perfect. So maybe you wouldn't be so far off with a Eurofighter after all....

Anyway, that's just my musing...what do I know?

CoasterCrazy

Giga Poster

^I couldn't agree more, Alton Towers and Thorpe park already have rapid rides and it seems about time for chessington to get one too. I see where you're going with Anubis as well since it's a great compact family coaster for everyone. Also I think a ride like Muntanya russa (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OuyzVMsZ ... re=related) would be great.

However, I'd love chessington to get a woodie as well...but I doubt it.

Chessington have a few other fields dotted around the park as well so removing this field wouldn't do much harm.

Liking the map as well! :--D Those places were exactly where I was thinking...

Thekingin64

Strata Poster

I agree about getting something like Muntanya Russa. It looks brilliant for a family coaster and it would be perfect for Chessington. Some rapids would be good aswell.

CoasterCrazy

Giga Poster

Infact, I'd also like to see Chessington get a toboggan ride as well and perhaps a small launch coaster...

Or even a water coaster?

Anyhow, they need a new coaster and a new water ride!

Mysterious Sue

Strata Poster

CoasterCrazy said:
However, I'd love chessington to get a woodie as well...but I doubt it.
Hahaha wouldn't we all? If this actually happened, I might just give up my day job and go and live in the damn park. Somehow though, I think not...

CoasterCrazy

Giga Poster

Mysterious Sue said:
Hahaha wouldn't we all? If this actually happened, I might just give up my day job and go and live in the damn park. Somehow though, I think not...

What, even if it was small and and not very fast (which it would be)?

Mysterious Sue

Strata Poster

You've obviously not met me properly yet.

Hi I'm Sue and I LOVE woodies.

(And wild mice. Basically anything a bit rough)

Mysterious Sue

Strata Poster

Don't mean to sound rude but Muntanya Russa looks really damn boring to me. I think that any child that's been on Vampire/Dragon's Fury would be totally disappointed going on that! I think there are many more interesting options out there. I like the water coaster idea. A Mack Supersplash would go down excellently. Or if they could convince Kumbak to make another Vliegende Hollander I might just die of happiness. Chessie's theming would no doubt be able to do it justice.

CoasterCrazy

Giga Poster

Yes, I understand now :--D . So if any theme park were to get a woodie then you would go beserk!

Anyway back on topic:

A similar model storm surge would be great (not a clone though!)

marc

CF Legend

Why do my posts keep going urghhhh.

I am sure that land is Greenbelt so it cannot be built on?

I dont think with what happened to Saw you will ever see another coaster by them in a Merlin park!.

nadroJ

CF Legend

Mysterious Sue said:
You've obviously not met me properly yet.

Hi I'm Sue and I LOVE woodies.

(And wild mice. Basically anything a bit rough)

Thought you were of lesbianic tendencies?

marc

CF Legend

Martyn B said:
^ What happened?

The delays all the problems when it opened etc. Merlin were meant to be suing them, no one knows if that happened or not.

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team

Mysterious Sue said:
Or if they could convince Kumbak to make another Vliegende Hollander I might just die of happiness. Chessie's theming would no doubt be able to do it justice.

Really?

Really?

What part of the current Chessington theming comes anywhere remotely close to Vliegende Hollander? That Transylvania area that was built years ago, way before Merlin has anything to do with the park? That's the closest as far as I can see, and it's still nowhere near in the same league.

Screaming Coasters

Strata Poster

Lets put this one to rest...

Chessington can only build rides on land that has already been built on. The green land you see, can not be built on due to it being part of the green belt. There were plans in the rides office showing a river rapids type ride on the big greenland behind Transylvania, but didn't happen because of reasons I have given above.

They can however build more zoo land on the greens and the original idea was to move the existing zoo to these sites and use the old zoo space as ride space. Lets just see what they do.

spicy

Giga Poster

^ Am I right in thinking that they got away with constructing Fury due to it being a 'portable' ride type therefore it wasn't deemed a permanent structure?

Still a real shame they can't build on those sites, hampers the development of the park somewhat.

Screaming Coasters

Strata Poster

Thats right yes. :)

It was mainly to do with the height more than the grounds its on.
For some reason, they could build taller if it wasn't a permanent structure.