What's new

Cheetah Hunt- Intamin for Busch Gardens Tampa

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
I don't actually know, but I've got a feeling that they'd be trying to get it open for the start of the season.

Jools

Giga Poster
Good, because I checked the website and it said "Spring" and I can imagine this having teething problems!

CMonster

Giga Poster
It'll probably be sometime around Memorial Day (May 30th), as parks down here don't have season opening days and that seems popular for openings.

Snoo

The Legend
Looking at this now, with a distance shot of the ride.. it doesn't seem as big as I thought before.

Antinos

Slut for Spinners
This support is interesting:

DSC01793.jpg

CMonster

Giga Poster
Whoops! Slight mistake there! :lol: :wink:

I'm pretty sure it's for theming, like african banners and stuff. I think there was a leaked picture somewhere showing this element with those colorful banners...

Tim

Roller Poster
Does that corner pass behind the butt of a different corner?

Those extended supports appear on the low turns, maybe there's a corner down behind that wall and they re-used the tip of one to support a later part of the circuit

CMonster

Giga Poster
If I remember correctly, the track does dive into the trench right about there and goes under the Edge of Africa pathway... so, yeah, it could be a legit coaster support.

EDIT: Looking at a piece of leaked concept art, that support does appear to be for a banner... I know it's just artwork, but the supports are exactly the same as in the above picture. Maybe it's just to keep consistency throughout the theming, as the actual support is also holding up one side of the banner.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
The question then would be "is it a real support, or just some toilet roll tubing painted yellow?" ;)

CPcisco

Mega Poster
A poster over at BGTGuide was adamant that some of the very first leaked concept art had an inversion in that spot of the ride. That support seems to hit right at the middle of those other two supports, so it could in theory have been used as the top support for the inversion. Could it be possible that the support was made before the change to the transition was made final and they just decided to use the support with the connection flange taken off?

I also say this because the closer support in that picture has a slight bend in the top that the farther support does not have. If this transition had always been in the design I would think that the support would look more like the farther one, if only for simpler calculation and manufacturing sake.

CMonster

Giga Poster
As the ride has been announced, etc, I'm pretty sure it's okay to post. If not, I'll remove it or someone else will. :)

169075_145207878873801_100001537683886_278365_7712563_n.jpg

Screaming Coasters

Strata Poster
^ Have a look at the right most supports, It has two prongs.

The left side of the that support is the actual support attaching to the track and the right one doesn't actually attach to anything where the banner is hung from. :)

Screaming Coasters

Strata Poster
^ Thats the support I'm on about too :)

I colour coded it to make it clearer if there is confusion?

Black arrow indicates direction.

16907514520787887380110.png

dsc01793.png

It seems a little odd to me too, but it was probably cheaper to conjoin the theming as part of the structure to cut some costs? I have no idea, I just threw that one out there.

CMonster

Giga Poster
^ I'm wondering about that too... like you said, it could have been that they were planning for this section to do something else, changed their minds, but kept the planned support as theming...?

Very odd, though.

bob_3_

Giga Poster
supports and footers are the most expensive parts of a coaster.

It looks like the banner supports don't have their own footers, and are just extensions of the existing supports. I know it's just concept art, but why would they draw in the footers for the main supports and leave out ones for the extra ones.

Seeing as they're using extra supports to hold banners on the figure-8, it may just be similar to that. I do agree, it is strange though.

CPcisco

Mega Poster
CMonster said:
^ I'm wondering about that too... like you said, it could have been that they were planning for this section to do something else, changed their minds, but kept the planned support as theming...?

Very odd, though.

This is exactly what I think. The support could have already been manufactured by the time that the change was made final and BGT just decided to not let the support go to waste. Also, by getting rid of that footer that the support was to go on wouldn't they have to redesign the footer that was actually needed? I would think that would mean more design cost. If the support was already made, I think it would probably just be a cheaper route to pour the footers and install the modified support, then it would be to lose the money on the support and then have to spend more money on the redesign of the footer.

As another possibility, is it possible that the footer had already been poured for this support (and maybe even the support made)? That would mean that simply modifying the support would most certainly have been a cheaper option.

All in all I think it was a "last minute" change that caused what we are seeing now.

CMonster

Giga Poster
UC said:
No, because you wouldn't keep such an expensive part of a ride for the sole purpose of theming. The ride follows the animation thus far, which means it was obviously planned this way.

I agree that it's strange, but I do have to point out that in the animation the ride doesn't go over the skyride... and the roll is quite different.

Not that that matters, but...

Antinos

Slut for Spinners
This reminds me of Blue Fire:

jh5m2b1da11vl0008ghg1m.jpg

What purpose do those plates serve? We couldn't figure that out when it was being built.