What's new

Change of height limit for Dragon falls, CWOA

Hurri

Mega Poster
Looks like Mack are responsible for this then...

But that doesn't explain Storm Surge going from 0.9 to 1.1, or Black Buccaneer going from 0.9 to 1.0. It looks like Merlin have had a bit of a moment of paranoia as well and taken the opportunity to 'review' several other height restrictions.

I wonder how far it will go. Will Bubbleworks suddenly go to 1.1m? The Mack Mine Trains that haven't had the Fish refit?

It does seem strange that my little girl can go on Zodiac but not Teacups. And what's particularly frustrating about these changes is they've happened after the park has been open for this season for a while, so she's already been on the rides that have been reviewed, and now I have to explain that she can't go on them again until she's bigger. Luckily she understands, but I can foresee Guest Services at all the parks getting a lot of abuse from less intelligent members of the clientele.

Nemesis Inferno

Strata Poster
Hurri said:
Black Buccaneer going from 0.9 to 1.0.

That was a Huss thing very similar to this... Blade and Jolly Rocker at Lego have had this happen...

And GS's are probably already having lots of flack for it...

Nic

Strata Poster
Will said:
It's about time Thorpe just gave up and put a height-stick outside the park, and a sign along the lines of 'We regret to inform our few remaining family guests that this park is entirely unsuitable for anyone under 1.2m... we suggest you take your money a little further around the M25. And quickly, before Chessington goes the same way!'
Hahahaha, yeah! I thought this on AP day when I overheard a family discussing how they'd already been on all 3 of the rides that were suitable for their children, and were at a loss for the rest of the day.

EpixYaz

Roller Poster
Dragon Falls

That is really stupid, When i go on Dragon Falls, Could you really picture a little kid on there anyway? i dont think that was necessary

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Yeah...
29118_1391031249483_1043162436_1146959_7317375_n.jpg

He was four then... Though looking at that, if the boat came to a sudden stop at the bottom, he'd be looking at a dentistry bill like Gavin's ;)

marc

CF Legend
If anyone followed the Disney parks they will know lapbars had to be fitted or they would have had to raise the limit. They fitted lapbars rather than increase the height.

Merlin have gone for the cheap option of course and just raised the height limit.

Nemesis Inferno

Strata Poster
^I wouldn't say that going for the cheap option is too bad an idea...

Considering the issues Dudley Do-Right has experienced with lap-bars, the way in which the park would need to have probably one maybe two more staff checking the bars, the lower throughput, the possiblity of needing to completely redo loading procedures...

All this adds up... To be fair, it makes more sense here to increase the limit with such short notice... Can you imagine trying to check the bars on the Flume at Towers with the rotating platform? I'd feel exceptionally sorry for the person...

marc

CF Legend
I know what you mean but there were ways around it. They way I look at it is a cheaper option as they dont need to pay for the work.

From reports I have read about the ones at WDW they have added no extra time at all, but yeah the seats are different.

It does not bother me as I am ok, I would prefer no lap bars like they have done.

How long will it be before this happens on rapids.

Nemesis Inferno

Strata Poster
Tbh rapids do often warrant restraints (even just simple seat-belts) moreso than the Flume rides... Just in an attempt to prevent stupidity more than anything...

Thing is with the Flumes over here, it's just not as simple as bunging some bars on them, as I said Dudley Do-Right has had issues and due to the continuous loading nature of them it really is the easiest method without having to shut them all down... Just because it's cheap doesn't mean it's the wrong choice...

Indeed, if they added lap-bars they could reduce throughput and actually result in some of the larger guests being unable to ride...

There isn't much Merlin can actually do here as it's Mack's decision to bring in these rulings across the board... Yes it's effected a large amount of guests across all 3 parks, but it's not something that can be easily fixed based on how much it would probably cost to retro-fit them and cause possible dispatch issues...