• Disneyland Paris, with it's mutitude of flying camel rides

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Europa Park, with its Germanic efficiency

• Parc Warner, with its Spanish sunshine

• Port Aventura, with its erm...spanish sunshine

• Some other park, say Asterix, Phantasia or Walbi ect, etc...

• Total voters

slappy mcguire

Mega Poster
Having been to Disney land Paris this month, my first taste of a non UK Theme park, I am still feeling slightly underwhelmed. The two parks over three days provided a perfectly good short break, but TBH, the whole thing felt a slight let down, particularly the malnourished Disney Studio.

Perversely, I still fancy seeing what Europe has to offer next year, particularly bearing in mind I have a young family, something that Disney should have been perfect for, and would ask all of you with more European experience than me, to help advise my next port of call, in the form of the poll as to what is Europe's premier park...

SaiyanHajime

CF Legend
Europa Park is dull and full of bad rides.

Port Aventura is amazing, but the rides aren't as amazing as the park.

Phantasialand is extraudinary, with extraudinary rides to match.

marc

CF Legend
^100% agree with Joey.

Europa now has Blue Fire which just about everyone says is good, but thats just 1 coaster out of how many?

Phantasialand wins for me.

Martyn B

CF Legend
It surely has to be DLP? That must have the highest attendance figures? It is advertised all over Europe and known of world wide.

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
I think any visit to any park depends on the people you go with and the mood you enter the park with.

I dislike Disney, I really do, but I spent a good few days there back in 2006 with brilliant company and loved every second. I could almost rate it as my number 1 park visit of all time.

It's like going to Thorpe Park, probably my most visited park. Only the times I've looked forward to visiting have been the times I've enjoyed, yes, all 3 of them :p

Anyway, that's slightly digressing but perhaps an explanation why you didn't enjoy it as much as you hoped. Too high expectations , perhaps?

I've done a few Euro parks - Most of northern/central France, Belgium, Port Aventura and Denmark/North Germany.

I am a thrill seeker and would rather go on sexy B&Ms, mega Intamins and mammoth woodies, but my personal feeling is that I've enjoyed the parks with a family vibe more.

Disney is too family. It's sickly, too polished and everything is suitable for everybody. There's no "escape." Even though you have a family, Sloppy, I'm pretty sure that you'd appreciate something a little more grown-up at the same time.

That why I'd recommend places like Asterix, Plopsaland and Djurs Sommerland. You'll find enough attractions for your youngsters to do, but something to keep yourself happy too.

jokerman

Giga Poster
Phantasialand for sure. It really is something. Superb atmosphere (when it isn't raining), themeing and rides.

caffeine_demon

Strata Poster
Of the big resorty type one's I've visited:

Disneyland - I was surprisingly impressed by the range of attractions here - although it could do with a couple of good thrill flats.

Europa park - The attention to detail and ride ops are stunning - and there is a good range of rides - again, could do with a thrill flat or two.

Parque warner - Prefered this to PA - but the park needs some flats of any kind - riddlers revenge is pretty poor, but the b&ms are excelent, and the water rides are some of the best around - good madhouse too

Port aventura - Nicely landscaped park - but I felt a bit let down by the attractions - need a few more fillers, and the coasters didn't really give me that "must reride" feeling.

Efteling - Nice landscaping, but a mixture of excelent, and poor attractions

Heide park - lovely landscaping, great wooden coaster, good variety of rides - but bring drinks!

Movie park germany - again, a mish mash of good and bad

Phantasialand - excelent coasters, and good theming throughout, they've done well to fit so much in. - a few of the older rides are a bit naff though.

slappy mcguire

Mega Poster
Ian said:
Anyway, that's slightly digressing but perhaps an explanation why you didn't enjoy it as much as you hoped. Too high expectations , perhaps?

I really can't put my finger on it; I dislike Disney, but went in open minded. The Disney studios was the first of the parks I went in, and I think that set the tone; the park just really isn't up to scratch, and not a patch upon the main park. I was surprised to see so many rides either late opening a-la Blackpool, and so many things just not working; half of the cars ride was covered over, even though the ride was operating, space mountain could best be described as patchy in its operation, and I was gutted the cannon was not operating.

I think I was expecting, for the cost, a cut above, and to be fair, a lot was, but ultimately, I came out feeling I may have been a little harsh on Alton this year....

ryan462

Hyper Poster
Out of the parks I have been to I think that PortAventura is the best followed by DLP, Walibi and Hiede.
Phantasialand and Europa Park both look amazing though.

STC

Mega Poster
Haven't been to any unfortunately, but I would have to say Efteling looks like the best European park (especially with dueling GCI's next year) closely followed by Europa.

I presume you mean European mainland, since you didn't include any UK parks?

slappy mcguire

Mega Poster
I meant Europe mainland, but it would be interesting to see if anyone thinks that the UK is home to any better parks than Europe. Ride wise possibly, overall experience, I'm not so sure...we struggle as a nation to get the concept of THEME parks....

caffeine_demon

Strata Poster
The only 3 I'd list would be towers, blackpool and thorpe (just)

Towers is nicely landscaped, and has some killer rides, and a fair amount of heritage, And trhey've made BIG improvements in the last few years

Blackpool - Mainly for the heritage, but they do have a nice variety of rides for a good day or 2 out.

Thorpe - great selection of thrill rides, an a good selection of flats - but needs a bit more for families.

nadroJ

CF Legend
Out of that list, I'd have to say Port Aventura, just because Dragon Khan wins and the park is beautiful and brilliant (apart from Sea Odyssey, that can GO AWAY).

However, I'm sure Phantasialand can knock the socks off of the rest of the parks on that list, but until I go there I can't exactly make a fair judgement.

Tony

Hyper Poster
From what I've been to:

1. Port Aventura: Great theming and Dragon Khan, Furius Baco and Hurakan Condor are all amazing, although the park could do with 1 more signature flat or coaster...

2. Parque Warner Madrid: Narrowly misses out to Port Aventura but still has 3 great coasters, some decent flats and some great water rides. Theming is pretty good throughout the park as well. I don't think the park needs much more except maybe another flat ride.

3. Parque de Atracciones Madrid: It's an ok park. Some nice landscaping with all the main rides located in one area of the park. Abismo was awesome and Tornado is decent and it has some decent flats and water rides. It lacks a little atmosphere and the operations sucked when I went but still a nice decent park.

4. Gardaland: I enjoyed this park but it REALLY lacks a signature ride. All the coasters are pretty average as are the water rides as well as the flats etc.... The place does have some awesome theming and a nice atmosphere but for a park of it's size and popularity they really need to invest in a new big signature coaster.