What's new

CF Speed Build Competition | Round 1 | Entries

Status
Not open for further replies.

Leon_K

Mega Poster
I'd like to join too. I know I am probably too late so if I am not in the competition I completely get it and it's no problem. I just drop my name here and if I will not be in the votes I just count this as training for the next round, I didn't spend too many hours on my game yet.

Name: Leon_K
Game: Planet Coaster (Console)

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster
Now correct me if I’m wrong @Nicky Borrill, but I don’t think scenery is actually being judged here, is it? I think it’s solely being judged on layout strength; I only threw in a sprinkle of landscaping because I wanted to make it look somewhat presentable for the guests I was opening the ride to, as well as for you guys. Scenery isn’t compulsory, by any stretch, and you don’t get marked down for it not being there!

Also, that layout looks nice from what I can ascertain, Nicky! Based on some of what I can see, I’m going to take a punt at it either being a Mack Hyper (Vector) or an RMC T-Rex (Basilisk), but I wouldn’t like to be sure.

Finally, Nicky; just for future reference, when a height limit is imposed, is that merely talking about height above ground, or does that also refer to height difference? (So for instance, could you dig a tunnel to give the ride a drop larger than the specified height range while sticking within the limits?)
Absolutely, we're asking folk to ignore the landscaping / theming and judge the layout... However personally, I think if you've got time, do a little at least...

As for height, I think in the spirit of the type 'hyper' and without going into too much politics, a drop of between 200 and 299 ft is what counts. Above that and it could conceivably be a giga. (And yes I'm aware some people see them as the same thing.)
I'd like to join too. I know I am probably too late so if I am not in the competition I completely get it and it's no problem. I just drop my name here and if I will not be in the votes I just count this as training for the next round, I didn't spend too many hours on my game yet.

Name: Leon_K
Game: Planet Coaster (Console)

That's fine Leon, anybody is welcome to join at any point, as long as they know that they are at a slight disadvantage as the others have had longer :)

HeartlineCoaster

Theme Park Superhero
Absolutely, we're asking folk to ignore the landscaping / theming and judge the layout... However personally, I think if you've got time, do a little at least...
I am wondering if it's worth considering a firmer rule for this, maybe in future rounds at this point as some hard work has already gone in. It's possible there's a difference between asking voters to ignore and it having some subliminal influence anyway. Just from a personal perspective I saw the screenshot of Matt's and my very first thought was 'back to the drawing board for me', but I hadn't even watched it yet so it wasn't just the layout talking - I don't think it can't do that from a first impression, but scenery can.

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster
I am wondering if it's worth considering a firmer rule for this, maybe in future rounds at this point as some hard work has already gone in. It's possible there's a difference between asking voters to ignore and it having some subliminal influence anyway. Just from a personal perspective I saw the screenshot of Matt's and my very first thought was 'back to the drawing board for me', but I hadn't even watched it yet so it wasn't just the layout talking - I don't think it can't do that from a first impression, but scenery can.
I totally agree. I think we touched on that in the other thread. We can ask them to judge the layout, but you're right, some landscaping and theming certainly won't hurt their opinion of the layout... This is why I suggest those that can, and have time, do some basic terraforming at least. Even a bit of grading, some water, and some trees makes the world of difference (this is all I've done for the most part, apart from a basic station building and sign, I've added gradients, water and trees.)

My biggest concern with theming is the difference between different games, and whether a particular game gives you a big advantage... There's no denying planet coaster is a beautiful game, and with a bit of scenery and basic theming, the coasters can look a cut above. HOWEVER, NL2 is also beautiful, and whilst it's much harder to theme with it, landscaping is actually easily achievable. Water, trees and gradients are very simple in NL2. And IMO that will make a bigger 'subliminal,' difference than 'theming' will.

Also, it's worth noting, the track profiling, and realism of the actual coasters is much much better in NL2 imo... So there is that for balance :)

Perhaps in the next round we make it very clear... Water, trees, shrubs, and gradients only? No theming. :)

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster
If It's too late I can wait until the next competition, but if not then I'd like to join.
Nope you can join in buddy… As I said before, it’s never too late as long as you don’t mind others have a few days head start in this round (not that it makes a difference, still 12 full days left and most of us are about finished in 2 days!!!)

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster
I'm not done yet, but since I recently discovered how quick and easy Premier Rush is compared to Premier, I made a video of the layout so far... Still some elements that need polishing, but honestly, I'm quite happy with it so far, and this 'may' end up being the finished product, as the more I try and polish that damn stall, the worse it seems to get!!!!! Although I doubt I can stop tweaking it... Feedback definitely welcome :)

Matt N

CF Legend
I'm not done yet, but since I recently discovered how quick and easy Premier Rush is compared to Premier, I made a video of the layout so far... Still some elements that need polishing, but honestly, I'm quite happy with it so far, and this 'may' end up being the finished product, as the more I try and polish that damn stall, the worse it seems to get!!!!! Although I doubt I can stop tweaking it... Feedback definitely welcome :)

Great work, Nicky; the ride looks excellent!

In terms of the stall; it looks great to me!

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster
Great work, Nicky; the ride looks excellent!

In terms of the stall; it looks great to me!
It’s just the transition into it that I can’t seem to get how I want it… It’s a bit janky. The positives are that I think I’ve nailed the exit, and it maintains weightlessness nicely throughout. But that entry into it is driving me mad…

Last edited:

Matt N

CF Legend
It’s just the transition into it that I can’t seem to get how I want it… It’s a bit janky. The positives are that I think I’ve nailed the exit, and it maintains weightlessness nicely throughout. But that entry into it is driving me mad…
When I do stalls, how I tend to do them is I tend to slowly bank into the inversion 45 degrees or so at a time until you’re fully upside down at 180 degrees; for me, that tends to create a reasonably smooth inversion.

Although perhaps do the first 2 track pieces into it as +45, and then do a +90 to speed up the entry; you probably don’t want to waste too much track entering the element.

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster
When I do stalls, how I tend to do them is I tend to slowly bank into the inversion 45 degrees or so at a time until you’re fully upside down at 180 degrees; for me, that tends to create a reasonably smooth inversion.

Although perhaps do the first 2 track pieces into it as +45, and then do a +90 to speed up the entry; you probably don’t want to waste too much track entering the element.
Well it depends what length of track piece you use… I kind of did it in a weird way. The main aim was to hit it at the right time to achieve and maintain weightless, then I tried to fix the jankiness afterwards… I feel like I’ve done something whilst trying to fix it that I didn’t mean to do, and I can’t for the life of me find what it is…

FistedColossus

Hyper Poster
I'm in.

Fisted Colossus
Planet Coaster Console

I tend to build coasters pretty quickly but never bother with theming as it's to fiddly on a controller but I'll take a bit of time with this.

Leon_K

Mega Poster

Looks good, nice work. I think you can maybe try to make the part where you leave the stall a bit more whippy. So when the steepness of the drop out of the stall increases you are going back from upside down to no banking. And when the track is going from its steepest point to the bottem of the hill track does not need to rotate anymore.

Matt N

CF Legend
Started playing about with an Intamin Hyper last night before bed which was done in no time. Was then up til 2am fiddling about with theming 💀
I think that sentence sums up Planet Coaster in a nutshell!

It takes me barely any time at all to build a coaster layout, but pulling off theming/scenery to the standard I want it takes absolutely ages (hence why you guys go without updates on my content for so long), and takes far more effort and thought than building the coaster layout itself! Even when I’m (relatively speaking) on a roll with building theming; if I sit down to build at 7pm or so, after tea, I’ll think to myself “I’ll just build a couple of rocks”… but then I finish those and think “just a couple more”… and then I finish those and think “Ooh, I might tweak that slightly”… and when throwing a bit of creator’s block in there too, that cycle continues until it’s 1am and I’m still barely any of the way through theming whatever I’m theming!

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster
Started playing about with an Intamin Hyper last night before bed which was done in no time. Was then up til 2am fiddling about with theming 💀
It’s a nightmare isn’t it? Do you even have access to the Steam community items on console?

Not even theming mine beyond a station and some simple landscaping… We’re asking folk to judge the layout only 🤷🏻‍♂️

My landscaping too all of 5 minutes, and the station took around 15 minutes.

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Fuxake this has taken far too long.

y8Fq7bS.png

I've a potential entry in the works :) I also have a spare steam key and world's fair pack DLC if anyone else wants to have a go (n.b. even if you have a crap computer, as long as your internet speed is ok - i.e. can stream video you can use geforce now to stream the game for free if you own it, albeit for hour long sessions)

FistedColossus

Hyper Poster
It’s a nightmare isn’t it? Do you even have access to the Steam community items on console?

Not even theming mine beyond a station and some simple landscaping… We’re asking folk to judge the layout only 🤷🏻‍♂️

My landscaping too all of 5 minutes, and the station took around 15 minutes.
There is a workshop with some downloadables tbf.

Yeah I say themeing, I actually mean landscaping rockwork. CBA building walls and all that.

Status
Not open for further replies.