What's new

CF Lives 2023... and beyond

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lori Marie Loud

Giga Poster
Going to be frank with you. With attendance numbers decreasing and other groups offering ‘package’ trips, it’s very likely that this 20th anniversary year of CF Lives will be the last as we know it. We realise that a meet up for a meet up sake isn’t popular like it was. Goons rightly want value for their time and money. That’s why Paultons 2022 and it’s perks did well, and why Blackpool with nothing on the table was scrapped. The reality is myself and most of the current team are struggling to find spare time to make Lives appealing and to give the experience we’d love you to have. There won’t be an itinerary as such moving forward, but more casual meets for special events such as Thorpe’s new coaster or Nemesis 2.0. However, if there is somebody out there reading this who would like to have a crack at regular CF Lives beyond 2023, please do message me and we’ll work something out.
That's a shame, as it means there won't be any traditional Lives for me to attend in the future. That said, one day......maybe......

Even though I don't post as much anymore, this is definitely sad to read because CF Lives use to be the highlight of my summers in my teens and early twenties, and were certainly an integral part in becoming passionate in the things I became passionate for, so thanks to everyone who has organized lives both past and present!

I don't really have much else to contribute. I'd love to do a US meet or two this year if anyone from the US is going anywhere, but I'd imagine a Live over here probably isn't in the cards and that's okay, too. I should probably use that as a reason to go back overseas, really.

MouseAT

Hyper Poster
It’s a shame to hear that CF management no longer consider the Live scene to be viable. I’m not sure I agree. I think the demand for CF-style events never really went away, but a bit of a disconnect seems to have developed between those organizing the Lives, and those attending the Lives.

Very few groups seem to operate the way CF does, experiencing the parks as a group, and I think that’s part of the reason that CF’s events have been so successful over the last two decades. There’s nothing quite like a series of Lives for bringing together a diverse bunch of people, and forming long term friendships with people you’d otherwise never have met. If this really is the end, then it’s going to leave a big hole in the community. The Lives really are about the people, first and foremost. Perks are nice, but have never been the be all and end all.

Through necessity, CF had to apply the brakes when COVID hit. In the aftermath, it feels like a lot of us more or less just kept going independently, and kept the spirit of CF going, whereas CF doesn’t seem to have really managed to capitalize and rebuild the momentum that we had pre-pandemic.

For me, part of the issue is the events in 2022. With a heavy focus on stagnant parks in the UK, single day events that couldn’t justify 5 hours of driving and an overnight stay, no events north of Staffordshire, and, after the last-minute cancellation of Blackpool, confirmation that GhosterForce was actually still going ahead was left a little too late IMO. I still think the single day event focus is going to be a problem if it continues; Are people really going to do a single day Thorpe Live at the beginning of the season, and come all the way back again for a single day at Chessington at the end of the year, or are people going to add on an additional, unofficial day at the beginning of the season, get the Chessington “cred”, and then not bother going back? How is Project Exodus going to influence people's decisions?

The timing of event announcements probably isn’t doing you many favours, either. Maybe January was once early enough to figure out what the CF team would like to do, but times have changed. Other groups have already published schedules. Some of the people I know have already had to submit annual leave requests to guarantee they can get time off during peak season. Whilst CF is still figuring out the what, the where, and the why, many of us already have bucket lists, and have progressed to the who, when, and how.

JoshC. said:
If there are gatherings of CF-ers doing Madrid, Asterix (with or without Belgium), Sweden or Finland, I'd certainly be interested!
That’s probably a fair summary for many of us, although I think many of us either did Sweden last year, have committed ourselves to one of the other enthusiast events over there this year, or both.

Most importantly, I think, is the question of how to get people on-board with the Lives. If CF really is all about the people who attend the Lives, then the important questions to answer are really as follows: Who are these people, what are they doing, and why should anyone care?

Back when I started, it was easy to answer those questions. The forums were more active, and the Live scene was more prominently featured. Members were creating regular videos, and by the time you’d seen a few videos from the likes of Dan Farrell, Martyn Hoyer, Big John, Kaz, or jayjay, you had a pretty good idea of who was who, what you were getting involved in, and it was clearly awesome. Now? Not so much.

If you step back from the forums, the problem gets worse. YouTube is a clinical collection of high quality POVs and interviews, not a community. CF Twitter is packed full of IAPPA news and tweets showing things that faceless team members did by themselves last year, with barely a mention of any of the events that you ran or plan to run for the wider community. Discord never really got any traction. When viewed from outside the mindset of a forum regular, it’s actually quite jarring.

I reckon this is still salvageable, but only if the CF team is willing to get out ahead of the problem, and make Lives feel like a first class citizen again. If you want this to work, I’d start putting together a team now in preparation for 2024, keep a close eye on announcements of notable new attractions for next year, and be ready with a plan for what you’d like to offer next season before 2023 comes to a close.

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
I reckon this is still salvageable, but only if the CF team is willing to get out ahead of the problem, and make Lives feel like a first class citizen again. If you want this to work, I’d start putting together a team now in preparation for 2024, keep a close eye on announcements of notable new attractions for next year, and be ready with a plan for what you’d like to offer next season before 2023 comes to a close.
Thanks for you feedback, Andy. In agreement that CF events are behind the curve when it comes to announcing them and that other groups who do enthusiast events full time have already published their schedules. I'd very much love Lives to be as they were, but as I said in my opening post, the current team cannot dedicate the time like it one used to. And that's why I asked if anybody wants to put themselves forward. I'd be more than happy for somebody I trust to take it on and I'm happy to hear from volunteers via CF message, email ian@coasterforce.com, or by call.text 07787 573565.

Serena

Miss CoasterForce 2016
Staff member
Social Media Team
I think an accesible, familiar UK park lends itself perfectly to the CF Live setting, if we are viewing Lives as social event.

In fact, I picked Thorpe Park for these specific social reasons:

- Easily accessible via public transport making it easier to attend

- A small park so we can take a leisurely pace and catch up together

- No creds to worry about getting lots of rides on

- No waiting around for one or two people who don't have them to get all the creds

- Thorpe is never exhaustive, you won't be walking around for ages trying to find food or loos

- Has loads of exciting, re-ridable rides to guarantee a worthwhile visit

Personally when it comes to travelling abroad to ride exciting new rollercoasters like Toutoutis, Lives are not the way forward for me. I don't want to be waiting on 20 different people to go to the loo at different times or queueing for a rubbish kiddy cred that 2 people haven't ridden. That's a waste of time, money and holiday days imo.

When it comes to maximising a day at a good European park with a big new ride, I'd rather go with a small group of friends (which is one of the reasons I'm stepping away from Lives!) It's just too frustrating constantly stopping and waiting on a big faffy group when there's a shiny new Intamin to ride. Plus, we all want to experience these more exotic parks in different ways. Some want to watch shows, some want to get all the creds, some want to ride flats, and everyone just ends up pulling in different directions. At Thorpe this kind of stuff doesn't matter, cos we'll always come back there, there's less urgency and more time to enjoy hanging out nerding about coasters.

Last edited:

DelPiero

Strata Poster
I think a lot happens in 4 years, priorities change.
A lot of good team members are no longer helping out, I'm sure Chris would have made Finland work if he was still around, also Dan had the enthusiasm, but we are hearing that the current team don't have it any longer. There's the answer. Either get a team in who want to make the effort and enjoy experiences like we had on Taron and at PA, or call it a day.
I think Ian's made up his mind though, as is his right.

Luckily the other offerings by PBE and ECC look enticing so there are options for people who are stuck, they just won't have that CF magic/quirkiness imo.
Hopefully the trip planning park of the forum gets a bit more use from groups who are inclusive.

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
^ Ian would very much like the Lives to keep running and have a team who can dedicate their time to it.

So, again, please contact me if you’re interested! Obviously I’d offer guidance and support. Otherwise, yes, this year is likely to be the last.

Mysterious Sue

Strata Poster
With respect Ian, as a long-standing member who has offered to run Lives in recent years and been turned away, I think this request is a little too late and a little too painful. I'm afraid the damage has been done and I and many others have sadly been forced to spend time with other clubs and make our own personal groups to fill the gap. For example, having waited years for a Finland revival only to have it pulled was devastating and I've been forced to plan the same trip outside of CF - something that I would have happily given my time to making happen here instead.

Nothing will ever take the place of CF Lives for me. Some of my happiest memories, bestist of friends and worst of enemies have been made here. It pains me to see it die. But let's face it, a day at Thorpe every year hosted by staff members that may or may not even bother to show up to run the day isn't going to cut it.

Serena

Miss CoasterForce 2016
Staff member
Social Media Team
Just to clarify, as the person running the Thorpe Park Live:

I will 100% be there at the Thorpe Park Live, with bells, whistles, raffle tickets, sweets, games, post-its, maybe even...the Kazzoo!

I've run many CF Lives (Poland , GF Netherlands, Thorpe Park, Chessington, Skegness, Walibi Holland / Bobbejaanland, PortAventura, GF 2022 to name a few)

There was once instance in 2019 where I was offered a PHD and had to move to Milton Keynes the same weekend as the Ghosterforce that I was supposed to run. It was all very last minute and I was gutted to miss the trip and lose out on the flights I booked.

@MysteriousSue kindly stepped in to run the Live and from what I hear from @SlammingCoastercore is that you all had an absolute blast on that trip! Thanks again Sue for running the Europa Live, I really appreciate it and I wish I could have been there. Ironically sometimes life gets in the way of lives.

Really sad to see this surge of frustration and negativity in this topic. Yes, the Lives definitely lost momentum and Covid certainly disrupted things. Sad to hear that it's too little too late for others to step up and continue them - because clearly the Lives do mean a lot to people.

It sounds like perhaps we should be reframing 2023 as a fond farewell to CF Lives as opposed to trying to resuscitate them, that's the impression I'm getting at least? Would that be less frustrating?

But yes, just to ressure anyone - I will definitely be "bothering to turn up" at Thorpe Park to celebrate 20 years of CF Lives and I really appreciate everyone who also "bothers to turn up" too ❤️

Mysterious Sue

Strata Poster
Serena, that comment was in no way directed at you. From everything I see, you are breaking your back to keep things going and have been for some time now. I speak on behalf of many of us old timers when I say we appreciate all you have done for CF and the wonderful Lives you've run.

Will

Strata Poster
^
Here here. Even if we didn't get off on the best foot, I hope I've made it clear that I was a big fan of Serena era CF - The demise was clearly in the air, which is one of the reasons I didn't enjoy last year's GhosterForce as much as I might have done, when compared with 2021, which felt like I'd taken a time machine back to my happy place. I understand the logic, but I was sad to hear you wouldn't be running others.

There's a lot of factors behind the potential demise of the 'Live' as we know it, and it's not down to any one person - but at the same time, these meets have been a huge part of my social life since I was 16 and to see that go makes me sad. I've been in a low mood recently and generally look to CF or coaster stuff in general to give me enthusiasm for the coming season, but instead see the community equivalent of going SBNO. I don't really know where I'm going with this; I can't put my feelings across as eloquently as Andy, but for once in my life, I'm scared to be as direct as Sue...

...and again, for the record, this has nothing to do with perks for me. Part of the reason I was so excited to find CF when I was 16 was that we actually had free meet-ups where anyone likeminded was welcome. Sure, ERT on the new thing at Asterix (for example) would be great and would make me slightly more likely to go; but if it's something in this country that I've ridden a hundred times? I don't see the point in it. The memories and established relationships that came with CF (positive and negative) last every bit as long as the +1 on the spreadsheet.

Last edited:

Will

Strata Poster
I'm afraid the damage has been done and I and many others have sadly been forced to spend time with other clubs and make our own personal groups to fill the gap
Also, I'd ask which groups can fill that void. I admit I've tried to find alternative groups - but without success.

We have/had something special with CF and it would be a bloody shame to waste it.

Hutch

Strata Poster
Have a few thoughts on this and interested to hear what others have to say about it.

First off, sad to see that the Lives might be going away. I've only been on one official Live, among the last of the US ones, but it led me to make some lifelong friends. Sure, the trips we've done have become independent from CoasterForce, but I'll always cherish CF for pushing me to meet like-minded folks in my favorite passion. And I still get opportunities to meet new faces, having finally met some UK CFers last year. Would be a shame if others never got that opportunity.

@Howie's current trip report got me thinking. It sounds like folks are more interested in doing international trips than domestic ones, especially when there more exciting parks and new creds on the table (i.e. Spain, France). And I'm seeing Howie and company do these trips to Sweden, Phantasialand, etc, with a solid gang of CFers. What was it, 8 of you went to Sweden? Dozen or so on the New Years trip? Might not seem like big numbers you'd expect from the bigger lives, but they're solid enough for a group trip/meetup. They were certainly typical numbers for the old CF Lives.

I guess the point I'm trying to make, or ask, is what's the difference between a CF Live and a group trip involving a bunch of CFers? Not trying to offend anyone on the team that puts a lot of effort into organizing the Lives and working on perks, but it sounds like everyone is in agreement that the best part of the Lives were the people and the camaraderie, which both of those types of trips have.

The only difference I can think of that separates a Live from a group trip is the brand of CoasterForce itself. Is it so we can push social media? Develop good relationships with the parks? The potential for perks? All of those are understandable.

@MouseAT said it best: the demand for exciting (international?) meetups are still there. Just seems like people have already begun to do their own thing or look elsewhere. Why not maintain that effort here? Do Lives need to be organized by a single person? Do lives even need to be organized by a team member? Because if non-team member CFers are already doing it, why not make those more official? It sounds like there's plenty of interest for a Madrid or Parc Asterix trip. Why not jump on that?

Just kinda throwing some thoughts out there. I've obviously never done any of the UK/European Lives so perhaps I'm (probably) missing something.

Snoo

The Legend
It’s a shame to hear that CF management no longer consider the Live scene to be viable. I’m not sure I agree. I think the demand for CF-style events never really went away, but a bit of a disconnect seems to have developed between those organizing the Lives, and those attending the Lives.

Very few groups seem to operate the way CF does, experiencing the parks as a group, and I think that’s part of the reason that CF’s events have been so successful over the last two decades. There’s nothing quite like a series of Lives for bringing together a diverse bunch of people, and forming long term friendships with people you’d otherwise never have met. If this really is the end, then it’s going to leave a big hole in the community. The Lives really are about the people, first and foremost. Perks are nice, but have never been the be all and end all.

Through necessity, CF had to apply the brakes when COVID hit. In the aftermath, it feels like a lot of us more or less just kept going independently, and kept the spirit of CF going, whereas CF doesn’t seem to have really managed to capitalize and rebuild the momentum that we had pre-pandemic.

For me, part of the issue is the events in 2022. With a heavy focus on stagnant parks in the UK, single day events that couldn’t justify 5 hours of driving and an overnight stay, no events north of Staffordshire, and, after the last-minute cancellation of Blackpool, confirmation that GhosterForce was actually still going ahead was left a little too late IMO. I still think the single day event focus is going to be a problem if it continues; Are people really going to do a single day Thorpe Live at the beginning of the season, and come all the way back again for a single day at Chessington at the end of the year, or are people going to add on an additional, unofficial day at the beginning of the season, get the Chessington “cred”, and then not bother going back? How is Project Exodus going to influence people's decisions?

The timing of event announcements probably isn’t doing you many favours, either. Maybe January was once early enough to figure out what the CF team would like to do, but times have changed. Other groups have already published schedules. Some of the people I know have already had to submit annual leave requests to guarantee they can get time off during peak season. Whilst CF is still figuring out the what, the where, and the why, many of us already have bucket lists, and have progressed to the who, when, and how.

That’s probably a fair summary for many of us, although I think many of us either did Sweden last year, have committed ourselves to one of the other enthusiast events over there this year, or both.

Most importantly, I think, is the question of how to get people on-board with the Lives. If CF really is all about the people who attend the Lives, then the important questions to answer are really as follows: Who are these people, what are they doing, and why should anyone care?

Back when I started, it was easy to answer those questions. The forums were more active, and the Live scene was more prominently featured. Members were creating regular videos, and by the time you’d seen a few videos from the likes of Dan Farrell, Martyn Hoyer, Big John, Kaz, or jayjay, you had a pretty good idea of who was who, what you were getting involved in, and it was clearly awesome. Now? Not so much.

If you step back from the forums, the problem gets worse. YouTube is a clinical collection of high quality POVs and interviews, not a community. CF Twitter is packed full of IAPPA news and tweets showing things that faceless team members did by themselves last year, with barely a mention of any of the events that you ran or plan to run for the wider community. Discord never really got any traction. When viewed from outside the mindset of a forum regular, it’s actually quite jarring.

I would agree on basically every point my boy Mouse has said. My viewpoint is definitely different as I've been on the team, off the team, and back on as well as organizing Lives for nearly 15 years. I've had very candid conversations with Ian, Jerry, and many folks over the years about the state of both CF and the Lives.

PERSONALLY, I feel we did miss a lot of opportunities as a group to expand the brand. As we've seen others branch out (myself included), and create their own brand/larger brand off of the world of CF, we could have and should have done more a while ago. Hindsight is ALWAYS 20/20, but some movement simply didn't happen when it should have. We played it safe and here we are.

That said.. CF Lives are viable with the right crew and the right backing and building of the community. What Serena does is a great example of what can be done with the proper pushing and organization. Hell, my club has 100+ people going to Magic Mountain (a place we NEVER did a Live) here in a few weeks with all the fun perks with a foundation circled around what we have had with CF. But as I said, that takes investment and backing from the top down with the right group.

I don't know the community as well any more as I have my own to work with but mobilizing and growing the group again, all things are possible.

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Some of the comments are tough to read. Truth hurts, but the feedback is warmly received. The lockdowns of 2020 did cull the momentum we were having in 2019, and since then I realised that I’ve mismanaged the Lives. If it wasn’t for Serena, Lives would have never probably returned post lockdown. Thank you once again, Serena.

I don’t know how many more times I can say the same thing, but I - or the team – do not want to kill off CF Lives. I hope everybody realises that nobody from CF organises Lives for a living, it’s not a full time job for any of us. We organise Lives on a voluntary basis, in our spare time and often use our own money to provide entertainment. We’re having this discussion because we cannot dedicate the time to do it like we once used to, and not because we’re lacking enthusiasm. That’s why I’ve appealed three times in this topic for somebody to put themselves up for it. Hutch asked why do Lives need to organised by a team member. That’s because if CF is “officially” at a theme park, there has to be a degree of responsibility for reputation. Acknowledging Sue’s offer to take on a Live and saying no for this reason is as she put it, “a little too late”, and again, that’s on me for not reading the room. As Snoo said, hindsight is a wonderful thing.

Mouse’s point about private trips being organised before we traditionally announce in January, and Will’s remark about not being interested in doing done-to-death parks are valid. It’s warming that people who met on CF organise their own trips. I look on like a proud father when I see Snoo, Antinos, Bicko etc organising their own awesome looking group trips, knowing that they cut their teeth here. I also enjoy reading the Trip Reports forum and seeing what members got up to…long may this continue! In fact, circling back to Mouse’s other point about not knowing who people are could partly be attributed to the reduction of trip reports and videos after Lives posted by attendees.

With everything considered, and after discussing with the team last night, I’ve concluded that the boat for 2023 has sailed. There’s little merit in putting up badly organised trips this year. Thorpe Park on 16th April will be the only Live in 2023. It seems appropriate to suspend Lives where we started them.

This hasn’t been an easy decision and it’s given me a restless night. I’ve made some good mates at Lives and have so many brilliant memories…I hope people will remember that and perhaps return the favour after nearly 20 years of ‘service’ and invite me to some ‘private’ events. CF rolls on! It might change by 2024 but that all depends if personal circumstances change of if a lovely goon (or goons!) wants to have a crack at organising Lives. Please message me, I’m open to any suggestions and will offer guidance and tools to make it happen!

I’m locking this topic because I think everything that needs to be said has been said. Hopefully see you at Thorpe or another park at another time.

Cheers
IfC

Status
Not open for further replies.