CF Lives 2022 - What's Happening

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Hi all, thought I'd let you know what our intentions are for CF Lives this coming season.

Covid is still playing a role in the organisational side of Lives. The CF Team is mainly made up of Brits, so organising events outside the UK carries risk. Travel restrictions play the primary role which adds to the faff and uncertainty. Secondly, if the organiser cannot attend due to Covid, that potentiality messes up any arrangements (ticket sales, perks, etc) made by CF. If CF had to cancel an overseas (outside of the UK that means) CF Live due to Covid, there's a chance we'd letting people down and that's something I'd regret and feel upset about, especially if people have invested time, money and effort travelling a considerable distance. Having once already felt the disappointment and experienced faff for cancelling Finland in 2020, I don't want to possibly go through that again. At the time of writing, we are not planning to do organise any overseas CF Lives in 2022. This may change if confidence grows, but it's only fair we give you as much notice of this decision as possible so you can plan your own trips. I will say with moderate confidence that the fully organised Finland Live will return in 2023 - I think 2022 will be when the world will learn to live with Covid with most strict restrictions being scrapped. Fingers crossed, anyway.

The outlook in the UK is different. Where most of the CF Team, and indeed CF members, live in the UK, it's a lot easier to organise. If the orgnaiser can't make it, chances are somebody else can step in. And if restrictions mean parks either close or forbid groups (which I think is extremely unlikely in England), chances are people will not be to much out of pocket. Therefore I'll release UK Live dates at end of this month. The parks will be Blackpool, Paultons, Alton, and Thorpe & Chessington. I'm happy to take some date recommendations, but initially thinking Alton in March, Paultons in May, Blackpool in September, Thorpe & Chessie over Halloween. If Flamingoland's 10 LOLper opens, then that could be squeezed in, too.

With the USA, Hyde is looking at some potential dates and parks. If I get over to Flordia this November for IAAPA, you can be sure of a Live in Orlando.

Will

Strata Poster
I confess myself a tiny bit disappointed - but must stress that this is a very reasonable, sensible decision. The virus remains cunning, baffling, powerful and none of us want to be wasting any more money or having any more disappointments than possible.

I think a few of us intended to do opening weekend at Alton anyway, so that's my two cents as far as dates go.
September in Blackpool is a great idea, that's illuminations time, late opening and best chance of Valhalla 2.0 being over any teething problems. s'always been my favourite UK park for CF-Lives anyway :)

Don't know if I can face Thorpe twice in two years, but never say never - it's my best chance of seeing some old friends who can't be arsed travelling any further these days :)

...and if I can get my lazy arse back into work, I've not completely written off the idea of going Stateside this year yet.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ian

James F

Hyper Poster
It's a shame, but it's the best course of action with all the uncertainty, especially when travelling in a large group. I will most likely go to the Blackpool meet up as it's the easiest park to get to, but if I can I'll see if I can make it to Towers.

Sent from my SM-A217F using Tapatalk

Fi

Mega Poster
Thanks for the the update. As fab as the overseas lives have been, I think it’s a totally understandable position to take for this year with the ongoing uncertainty.

The U.K. lives seem good, particularly Alton in March.

peep

CF Legend
Very understandable decision, large group organisation is a pain at the best of times but with covid cancellations looming overhead it can't be fun.

UK wise I'd be very up for Paultons, looking forward to seeing the new area and it's always more fun as a group.

JoshC.

Strata Poster
This news is heartbreaking, because it means that with no Finland Live until 2023, it won't be till then that Taiga manages to get back into CF's Favourite Coasters :(

But seriously, makes sense and completely understandable. Hopefully I can manage to actually make at least one of the events this year!

Rachel

Coaster MILF
Completely understand the reasoning for no overseas lives although a little gutted about Finland as 2023 will be a no-go for me.

Glad we can do some UK lives though and as long as the dates work out I hope to be at all of them 😀

Sandman

Giga Poster
I think UK based Lives for one season ain't a bad idea really. Here's hoping for some decent weather. Also, a good chance for some of the newer CF'ers to get onboard. I'd like to think I can make a couple of these.

That said, there's nothing stopping a couple of unofficial Lives happening abroad ;)

SilverArrow

Certified Ride Geek
Can't say I'm surprised but it is still a shame, particularly as I was keen to do Finland this year.

The UK lives sound good though.

MouseAT

Hyper Poster
I can't say I'm not disappointed by the lack of European Lives this year, but I understand the logic and the potential issues in trying to organise official CF events right now. It sounds like the right call, at least until we have a clearer idea of how 2022 is going to pan out. In the meantime, no doubt some of us will sneak our own trips in here and there, restrictions permitting, so we should hopefully be able to tick a few attractions off the bucket list regardless.

I'm glad to see a solid UK line-up being planned for this year. I'm sure there's plenty of pent up demand for getting the group back together on a semi-regular basis, and it should be a good opportunity for both old faces and newcomers to put in an appearance this year. That gets a big thumbs up from me. The more, the merrier!

Matt SW

Roller Poster
The above is completely understandable.

Until a revised new normal is implemented where everyone is safe but the prospects of lockdowns, isolations, restrictions etc. become less likely it is a difficult one.

I am still interested in the Finland 23 live, should it come to fruition.

Eyebrows

Hyper Poster
The above is completely understandable.

Until a revised new normal is implemented where everyone is safe but the prospects of lockdowns, isolations, restrictions etc. become less likely it is a difficult one.

I am still interested in the Finland 23 live, should it come to fruition.
Completely unrelated to anything at hand, but I just realized that the existence of Matt N and Matt SW implies the existence of Matts of all the other cardinal directions (NE, W, etc.)

Will

Strata Poster
Ian said the end of the month, so I'd expect this weekend.

I don't really know why I'm impatient, except that Mum bought me an awesome rollercoaster calendar for Christmas and I'm taking childish glee from writing plans in it - that way I can flick through when I'm in a crappy mood and know the sun will shine again :)

(That and I was hinting at a CP Live ;) )

SilverArrow

Certified Ride Geek
Ian said the end of the month, so I'd expect this weekend.

I don't really know why I'm impatient, except that Mum bought me an awesome rollercoaster calendar for Christmas and I'm taking childish glee from writing plans in it - that way I can flick through when I'm in a crappy mood and know the sun will shine again :)

(That and I was hinting at a CP Live ;) )
Ah yes I see. Hopefully soon then.

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Yep, end of the month as I said in the opening post. Going through some last minute checks and I'll post them tomorrow.

If it helps with planning your own trips, I can confirm there won't be any Lives in June, July and August due to other commitments I have.

SilverArrow

Certified Ride Geek
Yep, end of the month as I said in the opening post. Going through some last minute checks and I'll post them tomorrow.

If it helps with planning your own trips, I can confirm there won't be any Lives in June, July and August due to other commitments I have.
Thanks! Yeah sorry, I forgot to check the post again! 😂 Obviously too keen! Sounds good!

Will

Strata Poster
Yeah, the only 'iffy' one for me as it stands is Paultons, because I've got quite a busy May planned, but I won't be overly upset if it has to happen without me - and I doubt anyone else would be that gutted either LOL :p

Intrigued to see where Flamingo is shoe-horned in, because I know how thrilled we all are to be going back there (ironically, I have primarily good memories of Lives there and I think I've done... 4? - Granted 2008 wasn't my favourite. Too ****ing hot.)

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Alton - Sunday, 20th March (opening weekend, avoids rush on opening day)

Paultons - Saturday, 14th May (avoids BH weekends, new cred will be open and initial rush gone)

Blackpool - Saturday, 10th September (after school holidays, illuminations on)

GhosterForce (Thorpe/CWOA) - Sat/Sun 15th and 16th October

I might put Flamingo in late June/early July depending on my own, personal commitments, so it’s not confirmed just yet.

I hope you can make them. Before you buy tickets for Paultons, give me a while to talk to the park to see what deals they have. I’m reluctant to organise anything “en masse” in the name of CF in case things have to abruptly change again, but as Paultons is only a 10 mins cycle ride from mine, so easier to deal in person etc. Knock yourself out organising Blackpool and the Merlin tickets. The Alton topic will be up at the weekend.

Last edited:

Thekingin64

Strata Poster
Tempted by paultons and Blackpool. As mentioned in the 2022 trip planning topic, will look at tying in paultons to my south coast trip but not sure how many places will be open midweek in May.

Also looking at FL, if/when that happens.

Status
Not open for further replies.