What's new

Cedar Point vs. Magic Mountain

Mr. X

Roller Poster
Now, I've never been to Magic Mountain so I can't really say too much about it. However, I do get very tired of the whole "The only people who like Cedar Point are fanboys" argument that I see very often. I go to the Disney theme parks more than anywhere else by far, and I'd have to say Cedar Point is the best time I've ever had at a non-Disney park. Millennium Force became my instant favorite coaster I've ridden (although I can see why people don't like it as it lacks intensity, but I just find it to be really really fun overall) with Maverick in a very close 2nd and Top Thrill Dragster somewhere near the bottom of the top 10. Even the coasters that most people write off like Iron Dragon, Disaster Transport, and even Mean Streak to a certain extent I found to be better than expected.

However, there are definitely some bad eggs in the bunch. My favorite part of Vertical Velocity is the straight back spike, so removing that makes Wicked Twister dull. Mantis is terrible. Mean Streak, while still not as bad as Gwazi or the Boss, is still horrible. However, when I look at Magic Mountain's line up, other than Apocolypse, X2, and maybe Goliath, I just don't see anything that just jumps out at me. Even with those three, I don't see Goliath being better than Millennium Force and Terminator is just a GCI: It's great, but not something unique to the park. Again, haven't been so maybe I'd find one of those three to be better than I think they'd be.

As for atmosphere, I've never found mountains to be that beautiful where Lake Erie is the perfect backdrop for Cedar Point. The staff also ties Six Flags St. Louis as being the best non-Disney staff I've encountered beating Universal by quite a bit and Sea World Orlando/Busch Gardens Tampa by the circumference of the Earth.

Overall, I just think Cedar Point gets a lot of flack for little reason.

KDGrizzly4Life

Mega Poster
I'll also jump on the boat Mr. X is in. Never been to SFMM (but I will be going next year :D) I for one think that almost all of the coasters there are going to be awesome. Tatsu, Apocalypse, Goliath, Ninja, Deja Vu, Green Lantern, X2 and Colossus really excite me! Cedar Point was great however, with Maverick, Magnum and Gemini taking some of my top spots. Millennium Force was OK for me, and I also enjoyed TTD. The lake is fantastic, with the entire atmosphere of the resort and water park (And the Thirsty Pony! :D) making the experience one to remember. The theming was sort of lacking for the most part (Literally a slab of concrete around Wicked Twister, really?) with a few areas that looked fun. I did, however, ride my all time favorite flat ride at CP: Skyhawk. Having said all of this, my CP trip was awesome, but certainly not the best park I have been to, which goes to SFGAdv.

ava1enzue1a

Mega Poster
I would say Magic Mountain has a more extreme/thrilling ambiance of roller coasters, however, I think Cedar Point presents a more rider-friendly park and more comfortable atmosphere overall, so I don’t think I could pick either Magic Mountain or Cedar Point over the other.

Linus

Mega Poster
I've on;y been to SFMM (many times). So I Can't really compare them, they both look very great.

reddude333

Giga Poster
I like the discussion here. I have to say, I think that both parks have some great coasters (and coaster types) that each other could benefit from adding. I'm pretty excited about the addition of Green Lantern at MM but I can't imagine the capacity being very high at all. So as for the type each has that the other doesn't. Well, MM has a flying (Tatsu), which might be my favorite at the park (as long as you are in the back of the train) and a 4th-dimension (X2) which is still in my top 3 most intense coasters I've ridden I think, and then there is Apocalypse (although I have not ridden it yet) which can fulfill that more of a twister woodie that I have enjoyed. As for those at CP, the blitz coaster (Maverick) is a brilliant piece of work (when it's not closed down) and I wish every park had one, lol, then there is the gigacoaster (Millennium Force) which I enjoyed too much to say Goliath matches up against (no offense to Goliath). Also, I am a pretty big fan of impulse coasters, even if everyone seems to hate (or less like) Wicked Twister I don't. And then I'm gonna throw in another mostly because I have to side with CP, but I feel like stratacoasters (TTD) are amazing but they often fail when it comes to capacity (despite its SIX trains, very unnecessary) and down-time. All to say, they can at the very leave be hard to compare because of the great difference in their variety of coasters.

fishman100

Mega Poster
I like that both parks have a variety of different coasters with different speeds, so people with a high nausea intolerance rating thingy can ride some of the slower ones and still enjoy the park.

However, I feel that Cedar Point has more coasters that are meant for people who like higher thrills and fast speeds.

Here's what I mean:
Magic Mountain
  • -Ninja: Only 55 MPH, but it's still a very good coaster and the swinging cars add to the intensity :)
    -Revolution: Okay, it got way worse ever since they added OTS restraints, but it's still a classic in its own respect.
    -Gold Rusher: Personally, I don't recommend this one. I thought I was going to fall out of the coaster due to the horrible lap bar.
Cedar Point
  • - Millennium Force: Top speed of 93 MPH, so this is definitely for real coaster enthusiasts.
    -Top Thrill Dragster: The name says it all :)
    - Corkscrew: This is one of the slower rides there, so ride this one if you don't like high speeds :)

Anyways, these are just examples of some coasters at each park.

Just my two cents.

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
^So, you're choosing to compare the 3 worst coasters at MM to Millennium Force and Dragster to prove your point that Cedar Point is the better park?

Well done; you've convinced me.

reddude333

Giga Poster
Haha, yeah I have no idea what point he was trying to get across there. Just seems like he put down a few words about what he thought about some honestly insignificant coasters at MM. Which is kinda funny because this is a roller coaster enthusiast site so this thread it catered toward those who think highly of quality coasters.

@Gavin: Yes, very convincing...because of course none of us know about the other coasters at each park :p

Xpress

Strata Poster
I think we should all stop bitching. After all... The ONLY thing that madders is the COASTER CREDS <3

fishman100

Mega Poster
Lol reddude and gavin, I was just trying to explain some coasters there and explain the intensity of some of the coasters at CP compared to MM, that's all :)

And even though this forum 9and site) is dedicated to those who enjoy roller coasters, I'll still ride any (slow) roller coaster, such as Ninja or Raptor.

reddude333

Giga Poster
Alright, I understand, and I ride those types of coasters as well...although I wouldn't call Raptor a "slow" coaster...