What's new

Cedar Point | Top Thrill 2 | Triple Launch Renovation | 2024

Aaron Smith

Mega Poster
I thought it should have been pretty clear that is was a joke, since CP would have to demolish several buildings + one coaster and build another TTD 2.0 within one year.
I just think a racing theme without racing is dumb.
Dragsters also race, but you can also do it for the thrill of it, some would even consider that as top thrill. The old theme at least made some sense.
With some of the replies I've seen on Twitter and FB recently to the new teasing and people speculating what's going on with TTD 2.0, I'm beginning to lose faith at people's ability to objectively look at that construction site and at least realize a second top hat isn't happening. So while I assumed you were joking, a part of me wasn't quite sure.

Peter Immelmann

Mega Poster
Well, after all we are talking about a racing *theme* which wouldn't necessarily imply it's a racing coaster anyway. There are coasters themed to flying that are not flying coaster (Stunt Pilot) or coaster that are themed to skiing (Alpengeist) which are not... well you get the idea... ;)

rideguy70

Mega Poster
I always thought Alpengeist is more about the ski lift, then then goes "out of control" for the rest of the ride.

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
Also, some new photo shoot of the construction. Of note: the new brake run turn cuts sharper, more infield than before. This most likely points to loading still in station, transfer track to main launch, and the launch passing underneath the station canopy.

image.png

IGwaziSolos

Roller Poster
maybe vvv means 5 5 5 ft up 🤣
Perhaps they signify arrows pointing down, as the three "drops". Showing the first backwards drop from the front launch up the top hat, the second drop following the launch up the spike and then the final drop after the third launch over the top hat. with all the 4:20 posting times I have a feeling the spike won't go over the 420ft mark or might match it exactly

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
^ Agreed. Like I was mentioning on last page:
It's no stretch of the imagination how slapping on enough track to claim the height record yet have the train never travel that entire height of track would work. A bad sport move, to be sure, but one angle you could use to claim the height record.
It's few if any shuttle coasters that actually reach the total height of their spike track. And I do still fear we'll be claiming the height record by the technicality of track height alone, not traveled height by train.

IGwaziSolos

Roller Poster
^ Agreed. Like I was mentioning on last page:

It's few if any shuttle coasters that actually reach the total height of their spike track. And I do still fear we'll be claiming the height record by the technicality of track height alone, not traveled height by train.
Unless they just go for "tallest/fastest swing launch", but that could mean they don't really have to try to put any substantial height on the spike since the top hat will already give them the record.

JoshC.

Strata Poster
I guess they could get around things by saying that Top ThriII Dragster is still a complete circuit coaster, whereas old shuttle coasters weren't.

It doesn't change anything, and I fully agree that if they were to claim the height record, it would be better if it was done "properly". But just chucking it out there as another way they could justify it.

Snoo

The Legend
The point being that CP conveniently ignored Superman being taller when they claimed MF as the world's tallest because superman was a shuttle. It would be some brilliantly funny hypocrisy if they pulled the reverse with this ride.
I'm here for the **** talk tho. They've been making up records for years (Orion being a giga is a fun one) why not circle back?

roomraider

Best Topic Starter
I'm here for the **** talk tho. They've been making up records for years (Orion being a giga is a fun one) why not circle back?
I mean if Orion isn't a Giga then Phantoms Revenge isn't a hyper. I've always preferred it this way round where it's based on drops not heights.

Hypers, Gigas should be based on Drop height not Structure height. Hypothetically you could have a junior coaster that's first turn goes out over the edge of a 200ft cliff. As long as theres a support that reaches all the way to the bottom of the cliff then that junior coaster has just as much claim to being a hyper as magnum (which doesn't have a 200ft drop either) 🤷

Anyway getting dragged away on a bit of a tangent there. 🤣

...It'll still be full circuit tho
True. But a bit of a technicality when the bit the train reaches its highest point in is a shuttle really.

I think we can all agree parks will always go with any dumb record they can think of.

Although my favourite kind of anti record must be SDCs new rapids ride being advertised as the tallest rapid rides in the western hemisphere (itself a dumb record) despite the fact as far as anyone I've spoken to can tell there isn't a taller one in the eastern hemisphere either.

catsounds

Mega Poster
it'd be odd and unlikely that they would build a spike taller than the train will reach, makes no sense

they're either going to break the record or it's just not going to break the record, there's no sensible reason they'd try and cheat it imo 🤣