What's new

Cedar Point | Top Thrill 2 | Triple Launch Renovation | 2024

rollercoaster.jpg

Roller Poster
If Intamin were involved, I think we'd have a pretty good idea of what the ride might feel like.

But Zamperla is such a wild card! Definitely makes the project a lot more interesting. For better or worse, only time will tell!

CaliAngel

Roller Poster
Let me simply say that you've missed a lot.

I'm interested. Please, tell me what I've missed? I'd like to be more informed if I'm wrong.

You also see people be like "INSERT PARK would never work with INSERT MANUFACTURER" all the time and the next year they go build one lol, remember when "Cedar Point will never work with B&M after they cloned Raptor" and then they built Gatekeeper and Valravn. If a company has the right price and the right product, they will get the job.

If there is any "beef", you'll most likely see it as a public lawsuit.

I don't remember hearing thoosies on forums talking that CP will never work with B&M after the Raptor clone. But I get your jist. Those "Insert Park" people usually have a reputation for not knowing what they're talking about, dippin dots type folks, or you can weed them out pretty quickly lol. They're quite ignorable.

I'm sure it was pointed out already but the last Intamin installation at Cedar Point almost killed eight people, and that was the final straw following a long series of reliability issues on ALL their Intamins. Maybe most everyone now wasn't an enthusiast back then to know about Cedar Point's woes with Intamin, but for us vets it's not surprising in the least that Cedar Point would be hesitant to work with Intamin again regardless of the quality of product they're making now.

Both MF and TTD are from 20+ years ago when the industry was absolutely PUSHING limits based on demand from the parks.

If Universal is willing to invest over $100, $200 Million in 2 cutting edge coasters at it's now flagship park IOA, with all the tech that goes into Hagrids and Velocicoaster, not to mention a coaster like i305 with *vast* improvements, I don't understand Cedar Fair's decision to turn their backs on them other than simply being cheap, or someone deteriorated their business relationship.

I get Intamin has a reputation for issues, but they also have always been willing to push the limits, and you just have to accept when nobody else is willing to take those risks first, they're going to come with some consequences. But it'd be absurd to say every time they were announced most of us thought "no freaking way" when we saw the concepts or heard the announcements.

And that's why I think CP should have stuck with them. Or Vekoma, who has also improved recently, but maybe Vekoma wants nothing to do with CF lol.

streetmagix

Mega Poster
Both MF and TTD are from 20+ years ago when the industry was absolutely PUSHING limits based on demand from the parks.

The ride that finally killed the Cedar Fair / Intamin relationship was a (by comparison) a simple Shoot the Chutes style water ride. Not some super advanced prototype. The anti rollback failed to work, and the boat capsized with 8 people trapped under water.

I believe if this incident didn't happen, and they managed to deliver a working (and safe) boat ride we may still see new Intamin rides at Cedar Fair parks. But creating a ride that very nearly killed 8 guests (and by extension, would have caused major harm to the wider company) was the final straw.

You may think it's petty but would you trust a friend who damn near killed 8 people?

bratcurry

Mega Poster
I get Intamin has a reputation for issues
Additionally, they don't have an inventory of pre-produced spare parts. Instead, each park has to stock the spare parts themselves if they don't want to wait for a new part to be produced and have the ride SBNO for months.

Antinos

Slut for Spinners
If Universal is willing to invest over $100, $200 Million in 2 cutting edge coasters at it's now flagship park IOA, with all the tech that goes into Hagrids and Velocicoaster, not to mention a coaster like i305 with *vast* improvements, I don't understand Cedar Fair's decision to turn their backs on them other than simply being cheap, or someone deteriorated their business relationship.

While Intamin's quality has improved recently, you mentioned three other coasters that have also had their fair share of issues - 305 especially. 305 from the onset was susceptible to melting the coating on its wheels, resulting in sprinklers being added to cool them in the brakes and station, trims on the first drop, and eventually the reprofiling of the first turn. Hagrid's has had and still suffers from a significant amount of downtime, although this one is much more understandable since it has 12 trains operating simultaneously, seven launches, a switch track, drop tracks, animatronics...it's a freaking complicated ride. Velocicoaster though...It underwent more rigorous testing before it opened yet it's still suffering from some wheel issues that might result in a repaint to a lighter shade of gray. Finally, with the two Universal coasters, IoA throws a small army to keep both coasters operating as much as possible, which skews the image that the rides are more reliable than they really are.

Intamin is not the company it was 20 years ago...but most of the rides that Cedar Fair felt they got burned on are still standing, and Shoot the Rapids capsizing was the final straw for their relationship.

MLDesigns

Hyper Poster
Velocicoaster... that might result in a repaint to a lighter shade of gray.
😯🍿

The paddock section could stay as is, this would be cool for the 2nd half though. Always thought the track should have been InGen blue. Or, really, just some color other than bake-in-the-sun black.

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
I'm interested. Please, tell me what I've missed? I'd like to be more informed if I'm wrong.
Do note this thread is ~2 years old and has mentioned *searches for "Zamperla" mentions within thread" over 100 times. We have beaten the proverbial horse of "Zamperla vs. Intamin" to death, resurrected it with dark magic, and beaten it back to death a few dozen times over; casting said horse into it's own personal purgatory of pain and suffering with no end nor beginning.

I don't remember hearing thoosies on forums talking that CP will never work with B&M after the Raptor clone. But I get your jist. Those "Insert Park" people usually have a reputation for not knowing what they're talking about, dippin dots type folks, or you can weed them out pretty quickly lol. They're quite ignorable.
Tbf, Orochi was built in 1997, and Netscape Navigator was only 3 years old, let alone concept of online forums. ;)

CedarPoint

Roller Poster
I assume they just made the best price 🤷‍♂️
There are multiple reasons why Zamperla is the best choice for the project. Most being the Lightening train. The accident that happened couldn't have happened if this had been the vehicle in use at the time.

Peter Immelmann

Mega Poster
There are multiple reasons why Zamperla is the best choice for the project. Most being the Lightening train. The accident that happened couldn't have happened if this had been the vehicle in use at the time.
... because the ride would have been down at that point in time? 😅 bad joke, but I don't think such arguments make too much sense, as we actually cannot foresee something like this tragic event. In the same way we don't know what could have possibly happened with the Lightning trains. So, hope they turn out to be as good as Zamperla advertises them to be but so far we haven't seen one in action...

Last edited:

CedarPoint

Roller Poster
... because the ride would have been down at that point in time? 😅 bad joke, but I don't think such arguments make too much sense, as we actually cannot foresee something like this tragic event. In the same way we don't know what could have possibly happened with the Lightning trains. So, hope they turn out to be as good as Zamperla advertises them to be but so far we haven't seen one in action...
Yeah you're right. Only time will tell. But what I was saying is that in the future this train does not have hundreds of potential failure points. I doesn't even have welds. Its similarly engineered as a modern aircraft with plug and play parts, and as minimal failure points as possible. I'm not certain but I don't believe there is a similarly engineered product on the market. Possibly there is.

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
all of them? even stormrunner?
Sorry, 60% of American Accelerators aren't working.

giphy.gif

Also, TTD supports continue to be painted grey/black:

1688954605411.png

MLDesigns

Hyper Poster
Unfortunately it looks like they're painting the track white at the same time so it's just gonna become the Full Throttle colors. RIP
If it does become Full Throttle/Icon colors, I won't be disappointed by that. Fits with the alleged space theme IMO.

However, the going rumor is that according to one of the painters on the project, that will indeed be the color scheme; but with alternating red/white track on the tophat. If a fresh coat of red paint gets added, we'll know real quickly if that's true.

bratcurry

Mega Poster
If it does become Full Throttle/Icon colors, I won't be disappointed by that. Fits with the alleged space theme IMO.
'New formula for thrills' hinted at a F1 theme, which would fit perfectly to the red, white and black color scheme. Where do the space rumors originate from?