What's new

Cedar Point | Steel Vengeance | RMC I-Box (Mean Streak Conversion)

CoasterEv

Roller Poster
I honestly think it will just be Texas Giant but with more modern elements that we've seen in both the other topper and IH tracks.
^You're probably right... which is still pretty cool in itself. But the potential for this thing just with it's sheer size leaves a lot to the imagination. I hope they at least don't cheap out on track length like they did with the Rattler. Great ride- but without that helix portion that used to be mid-course, it really cut out a lot of ride time. Same with Goliath - fantastic ride, but really leaves you wanting much more due to the short duration. Come on, CF / CP.... give us something awesome! :) haha.

Alaeriia

Roller Poster
Somehow I suspect that Cedar Point will not skimp on length. They've always been "go big or go home", and will likely be looking to capture all four major records (tallest, fastest, longest, steepest hybrid). Maybe even most inversions. I think the layout will have the second lap reversed, allowing for a big honking overbank over the lift ripping into a zero-G stall over the main drop. The other three inversions will likely be some bonkers outside bank stall on the first big turn and either a pair of barrel rolls at the end or a single end roll plus a zero-G roll somewhere in lap 3.

As for name: Vicious Streak gets my bet, unless they fully change the name. Maybe Wildfire or Stampede.

Snoo

The Legend
I wonder if they will have a MCBR. I do agree, they will go big and go long but how long is the real question.

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator
Strangely enough, track length is one of the least challenged coaster records. Of the ten longest, operating (non-Alpine) coasters in the world, only two were built during the past ten years (Fury 325, 5th; and Formula Rossa, 7th). Fury 325 is 2.1 metres (7 feet) longer than Millennium Force, if not for that there would have been no new entries in the top 5 since August 2000. Steel Dragon 2000 is 2,479 metres long, with Fury and FR being the only coasters built since that come within a half-kilometre of that length. Formula Rossa's placement on the list is even questionable, given that its length is listed at exactly 2000 metres, which has to be an estimate. 50 metres off in either direction could put it as far up as 3rd or as far down as 8th. Also note that defunct coasters Daidarasaurus and Son of Beast would have been 2nd and 5th on the list, respectively.

GuyWithAStick

Captain Basic
I think a reason nobody goes for length is because it's more expensive. Want to go higher? Make the lift steeper. Want to go faster? Make it a launch. But for length, you need more resources, more time, more land, more everything. No park wants to spend money for a record anymore. The Coaster Wars are over. Most parks just try to build good coasters now. If it happens to break a record, just add it to the marketing campaign.

Sent from my VS820 using Tapatalk

GuyWithAStick

Captain Basic
Well sure, some companies still try to break records, but it's not inter-company competition anymore. Six Flags isn't trying to out-do Cedar Fair anymore. Nobody's trying to make the biggest and fastest coaster ever.

Snoo

The Legend
Yeah, 'The Coaster Wars' of the early 2000's are not the same but as Lofty pointed out, the marketing and attempts to sell, not only at Cedar Point but across the world, has not changed from that era. If you can do anything unique, or interesting, that can spark someone to visit then you know for damn sure it will be on a poster or commercial somewhere.

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
Have they announced this yet? Do we know if it's 2017 or 2018 yet?
Nope is the short answer.

After having seen the rate of progress for construction on the last weekend, I am changing my tune to a 2017 opening, with an announcement mid-winter.

As for name: please just don't blatantly insert "Iron" into the title. Mean Streak already is a play off of Blue Streak.

CoasterEv

Roller Poster
I think a reason nobody goes for length is because it's more expensive. Want to go higher? Make the lift steeper. Want to go faster? Make it a launch. But for length, you need more resources, more time, more land, more everything. No park wants to spend money for a record anymore. The Coaster Wars are over. Most parks just try to build good coasters now. If it happens to break a record, just add it to the marketing campaign.

I agree with you all 100%. Mean Streak is such a massive coaster though, and they have sooo much pre-structure to deal with in this particular situation. I hope they blow us all away with something unreal and with a worthy track length for this legendary beast! :D

Snoo

The Legend
Let's be honest.. they won't. This is Cedar Point after all. They haven't made anything of quality since 2007. I have severely tempered expectations for this, even with it being an RMC.

Lofty

CF Legend
Let's be honest.. they won't. This is Cedar Point after all. They haven't made anything of quality since 2007. I have severely tempered expectations for this, even with it being an RMC.
Do you realise how spoilt you seem when you say that considering the **** we get?! ;)

Ketchup

Mega Poster
I agree with you all 100%. Mean Streak is such a massive coaster though, and they have sooo much pre-structure to deal with in this particular situation. I hope they blow us all away with something unreal and with a worthy track length for this legendary beast! :D

I know it's all relative to the rest of the park and other surrounding parks but if you could have given Alton or Thorpe rides of equivalent quality to Gatekeeper, Valravn and now this, I would snap your hand off!

If this ride is even in the same league as Goliath or Wicked Cyclone (the two RMCs I've been on) it should be an amazing ride. Let's hope Cedar Fair, don't try to make it family friendly.

Snoo

The Legend
Do you realise how spoilt you seem when you say that considering the :emoji_poop: we get?! ;)
Yeah. :D
We are a spoiled bunch over here considering what the rest of the world has. Cedar Point has 4-5 legit good-great coasters, not counting what this could be. There are some CONTINENTS that can't say that.
Of course.. I'm a whiny bitch. What can I say. :)

SaiyanHajime

CF Legend
Do you realise how spoilt you seem when you say that considering the :emoji_poop: we get?! ;)
I agree with Snoo, though.

I dunno what it is about CP. It's easy to say they have a bunch of mediocrity and not a lot of quality, but... That's a description of every most parks.

CP has a very monotonous blah feel to it. It's a nice park layout wise and operations are outstanding if you ignore their rain policy, but like... MF for example, regardless of what anyone thinks of the ride experience itself, doesn't seem tall or dramatic because it's planted in a sea of "I'm tall for the sake of being tall!" rides. Almost every noteworthy ride there has the same core concept - be tall. And that height before substance thing leads to some real mediocrity. The problem is, that anything really tall should be seen as major and any major coaster should be good, if not great or outstanding. There's no excuse for CP in the position it is, with the ability it has to turn out quality, to be building anything less than outstanding.

SFGadv and SFMM demonstrate that you can have a large number of great rides. At MM in particular, it's easier to list the rides which aren't great than it is to list the highlights. So what's the deal with CP?

I've just always thought it ironic that back in 2010 when I visited, I thought Maverick was the only outstanding ride there. One of their shortest coasters in terms of height. MF, TTD and Magnum are all good, yeah, but the funny thing is I think they'd all be better if they were at other parks not overshadowing each other. Maverick is outstanding not only because it's actually critically undeniably good, but it's also just different in CP's otherwise rather samey lineup. Not samey in ride type, but in... Mood? It's like at Merlin parks how everything is dark and dingy themed? Maverick is just conceptually different, even it's name flat out tells you that.

I get CP's need to build more people eaters over rides with capacity issues like Maverick - but Fury 325 exists, so that's the end of that argument. People eaters can be outstanding! (And the fact that Fury 325 exists frankly causes me issues in all kinds of ways, because really how dare B&M for waiting that long to make a Hyper style coaster outstanding. **** you B&M. I no longer believe you have a clue what you're doing.)

I have no hope for whatever this Mean Streak thing is being any good. But it should be. It ****ing better be, because it's at mother ****ing Cedar Point - America's roller coast! But it probably won't be. Ya know? Ya know.

GuyWithAStick

Captain Basic
Midway Mayhem has posted an update on Mean Streak, which gets really up close and personal with the track and pre-lift.

Based on the video, it looks like there will actually be 2 bunny hops before the lift hill. It also appears that more track has appeared, but mostly for the lift.

EDIT: Just in, track has officially been installed on Mean Streak!

From Coaster Studio's Facebook page.

Last edited:

Snoo

The Legend
Love the lifthill supports already in place. With that steepness.. they're going legit tall.

I do hope they redesign that station though. It's BOOTY.