What's new

Cedar Point | Steel Vengeance | RMC I-Box (Mean Streak Conversion)

TommyAlex

Mega Poster
Re: Mean Streak to get Meaner in 2017?

I think you're overthinking it - we know it's Cedar Point because it says "at the park" under a picture of TTD!

tomahawk

Strata Poster

If you read the comments, she specifies it is not Point, but Fair. Doesn't mean they won't have something at Point, but suggests a much larger going ons.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team

Reading deeper into the comments from the FB post:

Daniel Leavelle Glad you guys got the Mean Streak project .

Irvine Ondrey Engineering That would be amazing, but nothing like that! Cedar FAIR not Point! -Anne

Daniel Leavelle I know, I know lol...just wanted to get a rise. Congrats to your team for whatever it may be!

Irvine Ondrey Engineering Details soon I promise! And thank you! Believe me, I'd make one hell of a fanfare if it were a CP job. -Anne

Irvine Ondrey Engineering It's NOT here at CP guys. Fair, not Point. But hopefully soon enough, you guys know what that would mean to us! -Anne

So we are off the Cedar Point trail unfortunately. However, KI 2017 and KD's Hurler work would still be on the table.

... which leads me to point out that they posted a picture of dramamine, which you take before you... hurl.

Antinos

Slut for Spinners

Hyde said:
... which leads me to point out that they posted a picture of dramamine, which you take before you... hurl.

Real recognize real.

MLDesigns

Hyper Poster

Seeing that IOE has worked with RMC recently a couple of times now... IOE + KD Hurler = RMC? Maybe? Please? Eh, one can hope:/

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team

To go in line with the speculation and planning of Cedar Point into the future, here is a good recent interview with Rob Decker, Senior VP of Planning and Design, on general park planning philosophy:

http://www.avclub.com/article/what-happ ... ill-239738

Also, based on this interview, I would speculate Soak City gets an expansion in 2017 on the new ground that was recently cleared by the removal of Skyscraper and the go karts back in Challenge Park.

GuyWithAStick

Captain Basic

Announcement will be made via Twitter on Monday at 10:00 AM EST

[tweet]https://twitter.com/TonyClarkCP/status/759120340991799296[/tweet]

Final prediction is a Soak City expansion, including one of those Slide Complexes every Cedar Fair waterpark has now.

Intricks

Strata Poster

Well now I have to get up early on my day off to watch this >_<

Bat Fastard

Hyper Poster

I'm going to be a basic bitch and guess water park expansion. But we can only hope for Rocky Mountain Construction to get their hands on Mean Streak.....

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator

RMC water slide for Soak City?

silenthillXD

Hyper Poster

Wow, Mean Streak is closing, perhaps this actually will be Cedar Fair's first RMC.

Jarrett

Most Obnoxious Member 2016

[tweet]http://twitter.com/cedarpoint/status/760113054738776064[/tweet]

Yeah, what silenthill said. To me, this sounds pretty promising for RMC. They wouldn't have hyped this like they did if it was just a simple "closed for refurbishments" one would expect from GCI. This draws a lot of parallels to what they did at the start of Mantis/Rougarou announcing Mantis's closure, and Rougarou ended up being billed as the big new e-ticket for 2015. I doubt they would do that with Mean Streak. A dramatic video and announcement like that seems too big for GCI in my opinion. Either that or Twitter Troll Tony Clark has just done the most unspeakably horrible thing in his long line of inhumane atrocities committed against coaster enthusiasts.

Also, notice how the guy with the axe looks a bit like this guy? Not sure if it'll have anything to do with a retheme the company has done before or what, but I felt it was worth mentioning.

GoldStrikerLogo.jpg

But as for my personal feelings about this, I'm 100% certain where I stand on it.

tumblr_mwtco7Tntn1qde4uko1_500.gif

Bat Fastard

Hyper Poster

If it does end up being RMCed I wouldn't be surprised if it opens in 2018 and not next season. This would be a huge project.

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team

Some words from the Cedar Point GM:

[tweet]http://twitter.com/JasonMcClureCP/status/760119486359887872[/tweet]

So:

1. If it is an RMC treatment, everyone will rejoice.

2. If they were to pull a SFMM, tearing down a Dinn corp. for a GCI replacement...

8920949_orig.gif

DelPiero

Strata Poster

Even CP don't run large installations in subsequent years do they? Whatever will replace it won't be until 2018 at least.
Good news though, awful ride, deserves the axe.

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team

Details on the closure:

Cedar Point said:
It's time.
Time to say goodbye to what was the tallest and fastest wooden roller coaster in the world - Mean Streak.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fYcva24mxU0[/youtube]

Why's it going away? Well, we can't say just yet. But now's your chance to pay your last respects to the park's wooden thriller.

DON'T MISS YOUR CHANCE TO RIDE
Mean Streak is open for riding on the following days:
Daily through September 5 during normal park hours
Saturday, September 10: park open 1 - 10 p.m.
Sunday, September 11: park open 11 a.m. - 8 p.m

2015_09_19_4827(1).jpg

THE LAST RITES
On Friday night, September 16, the opening night of Cedar Point's 20th HalloWeekends, we're saying our final goodbyes to Mean Streak.

From 6 - 7 p.m., guests can take one final trip along the giant wooden structure. Then at 7:30, join in a special closing ceremony as we give "last rites" to the ride and march in procession from FrontierTown to the Dead Rides Cemetery near the front of the park.

The coaster will lie in repose before burial so guests may see him for the last time.

THE FUTURE
We're making way for future development in FrontierTown. What's next? Keep watching to find out!