What's new

Cedar Point | Steel Vengeance | RMC I-Box (Mean Streak Conversion)

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
I'm sure I heard that they were adding those little zipped bags to the trains for loose articles? I guess not, then...

This is such a cheap and tacky way to handle this. Shame on you, Cedar Point. You should know better.

Fi

Mega Poster
I'm sure I heard that they were adding those little zipped bags to the trains for loose articles? I guess not, then...

This is such a cheap and tacky way to handle this. Shame on you, Cedar Point. You should know better.

It looks like the same set up as TT - hold lose articles in your hand while going through metal detector - red stamp and told to put lose articles in zippered pouch if you have items, blue stamp if you’ve not got anything.

Works well in theory, and the zippered pouch behind your knees is great and secure. Metal detectors are there’s people people can’t be trusted to just put their stuff in the pouch. Unfortunately the Ride ops just ask if you’ve put your phone in the pouch and check its closed, so people still hide their phone out of site and take it out on the lift hill. Disappointing as they’ll probably go back to zero tolerance for the queue line too, when this system could actually work well for everyone.

Antinos

Slut for Spinners
I'm fairly certain that they have a pouch on the trains, but the true failure mode is that people suck. Guests either don't know about the pouches or refuse to use them and the issues that the pouches are supposed to prevent still persist. Humans are always the most difficult thing to design for.

Furiustobaco

Mega Poster
Wouldn't having a baggage hold just solve this?
Towards the end of the queue you give your sh** to a bored staff member who gives you a band so you can get your belongings (phone, bag, any items that could be lost) and continue your day in peace..
This system is used all the time in Merlin Parks and it would be a very easy way to solve the whole pouch thing.. If the hold was before the detector then that would mean it would probably be easy to monitor who is breaking the rules. I think the current method of dealing with this is poor anyway, not sure what would be the most effective but what a mess their current system is!

oriolat2

Giga Poster
These metal detectors really make any park visit miserable and just take the fun out of visiting a fun place like an amusement park.

Is it going to be like this on ALL Cedar Point coasters or just SV? I think this is a bit OTT if you ask me. Pouches are a nice idea, but there's just too much faff when it should be as easy as boarding a train, checking restraints and sending it out of the station as fast as possible. Oh, 'Merica... Stupidity and a litigious society are a bad combination. I hope at least SV is well-staffed and running 3 trains with little to no stacking.

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
@oriolat2 this is all focused on RMC’s, which ironically have too much negative G for guests to break the phone rule too.

As long as there are pouches, I am ok... but man is this just an annoying addition.

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
So hearing more reports from folks going through the system at KD with Twisted Timbers; the process sounds like it went pretty quick and easy. You go through the metal detector; if you set it off, you get a red stamp, indicating to ride staff you have things that need to be stashed in the zip bag. If nothing goes off, you are green and will not be prompted to stash items.

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
So hearing more reports from folks going through the system at KD with Twisted Timbers; the process sounds like it went pretty quick and easy. You go through the metal detector; if you set it off, you get a red stamp, indicating to ride staff you have things that need to be stashed in the zip bag. If nothing goes off, you are green and will not be prompted to stash items.
But what about a watch, or belt, or artificial hip? Might prove to be hard to put in the bags. ;)

I jest, I know that these things are calibrated to avoid the false positives, but this just seems like a very crude way of handling it.

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
But what about a watch, or belt, or artificial hip? Might prove to be hard to put in the bags. ;)

I jest, I know that these things are calibrated to avoid the false positives, but this just seems like a very crude way of handling it.
Kind of like adding seatbelts to B&M clamshells? ;)

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
I return with good tidings, or at least as good as it gets.

Took a swing through the new queue metal detector system, and it was a pretty easy process. Just... lean into getting a red x that you need to stash something in the zip pouch. ;)

With your red x on-hand (ha, pun), you will put any belongings in the easy-to-use pouch at the bottom of your seat, and be asked by ride staff checking your restraints if you have stored your belongings.

It’s all still super overkill, but doesn’t add much to the ride operation and wait. At least not as much as other system inefficiencies in their load process that still results in total stackage on 3 train operation. :p

After having gone through the process now, I do wonder if an alternative route would be to put very blunt and simply stated warnings that loose articles cause major harm to by-standers. There are a lot of signs in line for this ride, far more than others; but they are all in a cutesy western theme that makes them very easy to miss and brush off versus more serious statements of danger.

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
After having gone through the process now, I do wonder if an alternative route would be to put very blunt and simply stated warnings that loose articles cause major harm to by-standers. There are a lot of signs in line for this ride, far more than others; but they are all in a cutesy western theme that makes them very easy to miss and brush off versus more serious statements of danger.
Add the old "and you will be prosecuted under XYZ Ohio State Law", and you be set.