What's new

Cedar Point | News and Rumor Topic | New talk Page 42

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator
I have a feeling this is going to be another Intimidator.

Or a dark ride through a brewery of sorts. Boat ride, even (Moonshine Rapids?).

OK. I realise I have no clue after all. But I love the speculation.

justinmyersm

Mega Poster
rollerdude said:
It's going to be Intamin and it will be painted red.

End of story.
Agreed.

But Intamins tend to be fairly smooth, and the fact that the sign says that there is a headache a comin' kinda makes me think that it might just be a Vekoma. I mean, CP only has one, and how many Intamin rides does it have?

Maverick. Top Thrill Dragster. Millennium Force. Jr. Gemini. Disaster Transport. Demon Drop. Wicked Twister. And I know that I am forgetting some, but I really don't feel like looking them up right now. lol

But, compared to the one Vekoma: Woodstock Express, I think that the odds are pretty high for that.

Also, they have have gotten an Intamin the past four coasters, Millennium Force, Top Thrill Dragster, Wicked Twister and now Maverick.

IDK. My guess is actually a Vekoma. Its the only company that I can think of that Tony and Tyler haven't mentioned. (That I can remember.)

Nice set J, you fanboy :p .

It won't be Vekoma.. What does Vekoma make that is like, good and up to the standards of the newer coasters of today?

Maverix

Mega Poster
But the headache, could also be referring to the roughness of a woody, and since they canceled out GCI and GG, all that's pretty much left is intamin in that department(though the headache part wouldn't make sense for a pre-fab)

And marc, I think the fires is referring to the clearing of land, and the people snooping around refers to ether workers mapping out the site, or people sneaking around trying to find out what it is.

But there's one key detail that I think people are overlooking as to why this will be a coaster, and not a water/thrill ride. It's being kept a Secret! If it was a new water ride, it wouldn't be as big of a deal, so there wouldn't be as much of a need to keep it a secret.

Just my two cents, I could be way off.

Antinos

Slut for Spinners
^Jim Jam, I was kidding about the fire thing ;)

You guys seriously believe the sign is actually there? It looks photoshopped to me. The angles are just strange. Has anybody even been to the park to confirm that it's there?

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator
Responding to the likeness of a Vekoma:

CP has tons of Intamins (several hundred, in fact), and only one Vekoma, as Justin said. The Intamins pull in guests like there was no tomorrow. Intamin makes high-capacity rides with a high thrill and recognisable profile. And they have a wide range of products that can be customised to be even wider. Look at Maverick, for example. Basically, it's just a sit-down looper. Intamin has pulled guests to CP for quite some time now, and even though the maintenance team may be frustrated, the guest numbers show that they have been a success. The Intamin-CP relation is quite strong, I guess.

Vekomas product catalogue has got some recognisable rides as well, but not many. They do make the GIB, the Big Air, and the Stingray as their biggest models. Likeness to Wicked Twister is the issue with the two first, and I guess Stingrays have a rather low capacity for CP to build one. If CP ever was going to have a flyer, I guess the first phone call made would be to a certain Walter and Claude. Unless Vekoma strikes gold with a big ride soon, I think we should look to the smaller parks for their models. Their new designs may be a lot better than the old, but I guess Cedar Point isn't the place to find out if it's true.

Also, I don't think Vekoma would be like to be marketed as "headache". Every head in the company sure must be working to remove that label from them.

CP has ran high-profile rides for quite some time now. High thrill, high quality, or just big numbers. They would need to keep up with that, unless they were building a kiddie/family coaster (in which case, basing it on moonshine would be a seriously bad idea). A coaster at CP has to be good, or at least marketable, to keep the GP's impression of the park as "pure awesome". It has worked for the Intamins so far, and it always works for B&M, so I guess those are good candidates. We shouldn't overlook S&S either, they have a few aces in their lineup. Remember the capacity issues as well, with the crowds CP pull, they can't go under 1200 pph for any of the marketed-as-big-and-awesome rides. And a lot of manufacturers have little experience with rides of that size and capacity.

So all in all, the fact that they have multiple Intamins show that this works. Vekoma has so far just not offered anything that other manufacturers can't do better, and price (often Vekoma's big selling point over the likes of Intamin and B&M) is a very small issue for Cedar Fair's flagship park.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
If I was a betting man, I'd put my money on an Intamin Pre-fab!

Or a game stall! :p

marc

CF Legend
Moonshine goes right back to the roots of NASCAR racing.

I fully expect this coaster to follow the themes of the other new coasters.

I do think its good that they are making big investments in their parks though tbh.

If it was a new water ride, it wouldn't be as big of a deal, so there wouldn't be as much of a need to keep it a secret.

Parks will do ANYTHING to advertise and get people interested in what their newest additions are. Whether it's a coaster or a water ride, this got people interested in it, and it's likely that no matter what it is, people will still go there to ride it and therefore their marketing ploy has been a success.

You guys seriously believe the sign is actually there? It looks photoshopped to me. The angles are just strange. Has anybody even been to the park to confirm that it's there?

Hey, you and everyone else believed it was real until I pointed out it was probably Photoshopped :p . Just saying :)

I do think it looked Photoshopped though, I don't see the point of putting a sign out where barely anyone can see it.

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator
Hmm... thinking of it... how much does this advertising campaign cost Cedar Fair? All they'd need, was a creative soul in the marketing department, and a guy who's good at photoshop. The registered domain names probably cost less than a percent of a vending machine. They have nothing to lose on this, even if they are adding a small family ride, the marketing has cost them very little. The size of their fan base makes them able to run a massive marketing campaign for practically nothing.

So don't read too much in the campaign here. It may have a budget of $100, and be done by two or three guys who know the enthusiast community.

Antinos

Slut for Spinners
Taylor, I never believed the sign in the first place. I thought it looked way too fake and sounded too queer to be true.