What's new

Cedar Point | "GateKeeper" | B&M Wingrider

Jake

Strata Poster
This looks really cool. Not sure on the name though... It kind of makes sense, but seems a bit of a cop out.

Not the biggest fan of the MCBR situation either. You can tell its only been shoved in so near the end for capacity reasons without much thought. MCBRs are fine if there's actually something after them (like most B&M loopers), but this one seems a bit pointless. I highly doubt they'll ever bother running 3 trains anyway. It's not long enough for that really, and loading is more of a faff than on regular coasters.

Apart from that, it'll probably be the best of this type.

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
Jake said:
You can tell its only been shoved in so near the end for capacity reasons without much thought.
After visiting Hershey and their purest notion of having no MCBR on their rides, which inevitably means horribly slow capacity, I don't mind the MCBR one bit. :razz:

I think they could manage three train operation on this. There might be a bit of stacking in the brake run because the MCBR is lately placed in the layout, but it could be feasible.

Intricks

Strata Poster
Re: Cedar Point | "Gatekeeper" | B&M Wingrider

I think it will run 3 trains for the entire first season it is open, and then just run two.

Ive seen Cedar Point break out all the trains for all their major coasters there before. Kinda neat.

Antinos

Slut for Spinners
The placement of this brake run is just like Intimidator's. Both seem to be placed late in the layout, although it seems to work well for Intimidator. I doubt capacity and stacking will be an issue with this, at least during the first year. I'm confident that Cedar Point will put competent operators on the ride.

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
Cedar Point has officially declared GateKeeper as having the world's tallest inversion at 170 ft.

Cedar Point did not make this claim during GateKeeper's initial announcement, saying they "were looking into GateKeeper's first drop" on declaring if it would indeed be the world's tallest inversion.

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
^ Volcano, Blast Coaster had the record previously at 150 ft., shortly followed by the Maurer Söhne SkyLoop coaster model's 151 ft. opening loop.

However, Dominator still takes the cake as tallest traditional loop at 135 ft.

owentaylor121

Giga Poster
I would say Gatekeepers drop is more X-flight, than The Swarm. I wouldn't say that it fully inverts, but I guess by saying that, it will get this ride more hyped up.

bmac

Giga Poster
Waiting for Merlin to send Cedar Point a nastygram for stealing "their" inversion, just like what they did to SFGAm with X-Flight.

bmac

Giga Poster
Re: Cedar Point |

marc said:
^Not heard about that?

It was almost a year ago. Basically what they did was release a media statement saying six flags stole their diving drop element in order to generate more interest in Swarm.

Merlin needs to chill out. I can almost guarantee that "their" inversion will become the standard drop for most B&M WingRiders.

I meant it as a joke but it's obvious it was a little too obscure...

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
Raptor at Cedar Point was the first roller coaster to have a Cobra Roll, same as you find on Colossus.

Eye for an eye.

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
D'Oh, first inverted cobra roll.

Anyways, here's the statement that was given to Thorpe Park Mania by the Thorpe Park PR team concerning X-Flight's Immelmann Drop.

Thorpe Park said:
''Hi Thorpe Park Mania fans.

We hope you're all excited about the arrival of The Swarm. We're having great fun building up to its launch and we hope you are too!

We wanted to write a little message to you all following the news that Six Flags Great America will also be launching a winged rollercoaster next year very similar to The Swarm. Some of you may have noticed that when we say it's going to be very similar, it really is going to be VERY similar. When we set about designing and developing our winged coaster we had to make sure it had the Thorpe Park stamp on it. One of the ways we achieved this was by developing the unique inverted dive at the start of the ride that will be sure to kick-off your awesome apocalyptic flight in adrenaline-fuelled style! As you can imagine then, we were quite surprised to see that the new ride at Six Flags will also adopt the 'Thorpe Park Inversion'!

While we could be bitter about this, we would actually like to wish Six Flags Great America the best of luck with the 'Thorpe Park Inversion' and we hope that this is a start of things to come, that one day the 'Thorpe Park Inversion' will become famous in the rollercoaster world! We aim high!

Thanks again for all your support and we'll see you all at Fright Nights.

The Thorpe Park Team''

I'd say it's hardly scalding.

All inversions are fair game.