What's new

Cedar Point 2012 Coaster?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator
I think the Point can stay afloat for another year or two without a new coaster. The sheer amount of coasters there, and the size of them, make it a viable long-distance-travel destination, new coasters or not. Like Disneyland, the fact alone that it is Cedar F-ing Point is enough to mark it as a holiday destination for people all around the country. A new crowd-pleasing flat ride every year should keep the locals coming as well.

Do remember that CP doesn't have unlimited space either. The current coasters occupy a lot of land on what is basically an island, and if they don't want to crowd it too much, they have to wait until something is ripe for replacement and reuse the space. In this financial market, if the park can survive on its current attractions, waiting is the wisest thing to do.

I think we'll have to wait until they announce the removal of a ride before we can expect something new at the Point. In the meantime, we'll have to appreciate what's already there.

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
^In danger? SFMM has the most number of coasters, they've already 'stolen' it.

I think Cedar Point might have grown up a bit now and realised there's more to it that number of coasters along. That's what I like to think anyway! :p

steel

Mega Poster
Intricks said:
Yes, i am reading what you are typing.

You are still being a fanboy.
Excuse me? How am I being a fanboy? Cedar Point isn't my favorite park. I live 10 hours away from it. I barely ever go there. MF is the only coaster there that's in my top ten. When Skyhawk opened, it pissed me off how obvious it was that CF cared more about that ride than Xtreme Swing, even though they're identical. You clearly aren't reading what I'm typing, because I've said in every post that YOU ARE RIGHT, there are good reasons for CP to not get a coaster next year. Good lord. But your denying that there's any reason at all for them to add a coaster is honestly just childish. You seem to be unable to comprehend that Cedar Point is Cedar Fair's flagship park. It doesn't matter what anyone's opinion of the park is, because that is 100% fact. Period. You cannot get around that. I never said CP was the best park, I said it is the biggest park, which it is. It seems like you can't take me seriously, and maybe that's because I'm new here, so let me just tell you, my friend, that I may be new to Coaster Force, but I am not new to this industry. I'm an active member on a variety of forums, I read Screamscape daily, my count is above 200, and I've been doing this since I was three years old. I do actually know what I'm talking about. Your acting like an complete asshole isn't helping prove your point, and it's also not making me feel terribly welcome here.

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
I think the issue here is that people seem to think that the parks get money from the central Cedar Fair Bank or something, like the gate takings from each park just get thrown into some giant pot.

It doesn't work like that. Each park, to an extent, has an element of autonomy in the decisions being made and issues with their finances. The better-attended parks make the most money and can afford the bigger rides. That's why you'll see Intimidator 305 appearing at King's Dominion and not, say, Dorney.

The bigger parks don't necessarily take a "hit" because of the under-performing ones.

Antinos

Slut for Spinners
A few points to add to what has been said since I last read.

Son of Beast has been closed since mid 2009. The US Live was there riding it on one of its last days of operation. Ironically, I think it ran its best that day.

We have to give Cedar Point's R&D department a lot of credit for how they plan where a ride goes, because they have been able to save a ton of rides. Let's look:

Millennium Force - There was a 150 foot tall Ferris wheel where the final overbanked turn is currently situated. It's now along the beach in a (imo) much better location.

Wicked Twister - They managed to squeeze this into the slot in between the recently relocated Ferris wheel and the beach.

Top Thrill Dragster - There were three flat rides that were relocated and none removed except for Chaos, which was finally removed two years ago(This will be brought up later).

maXair - The entire maXair midway used to be where the game kiosks used to be. They were moved around the corner to the other side of Johnny Rockets.

Skyhawk - Similar to Wicked Twister, they managed to squeeze this ride into a tight space where one wouldn't think a new ride would fit.

Maverick - Finally, we get to a ride that caused another to be removed, White Water Landing. WWL was getting old though, and I'm sure it wasn't the easiest ride to maintain.

Planet Snoopy - Basically an update to an existing kiddie area. All they did was get rid of a giant tree.

Shoot the Rapids - The only thing that was removed to make room for this was the boneyard, which was relocated to the middle of Mean Streak. Most of the ride was build on...can it be? Open land.

Windseeker - Ocean Motion was put up for sale by the park last year. Fortunately, the park was once again able to relocate the swinging ship to the former location of Demon Drop, which was relocated to Dorney Park.

With that being said, Cedar Point doesn't have a space problem yet. They will find a way to squeeze a ride in to an area that needs attention. They will find a small, open patch of land and utilize it or relocate a ride to ensure that they are using all the acreage they have. Although very unlikely, I can see them squeezing in a ZacSpin into a few areas of the park. Next to Gemini? How about removing/transforming part of Power Tower's queue? Up front by Raptor and Blue Streak? I doubt it will happen, but the point is that they can do it.

Personally, I think that a good amount of their roller coasters are starting to get old. I wouldn't be surprised if a few, like Disaster Transport, Cedar Creek Mine Ride, and Wildcat are removed soon and replaced with newer rides/coasters.

Intricks

Strata Poster
If they got rid of cedar creek, another junior steel would most likely go there, or some flats. Remove Wildcrap, and the could put in a Zac Spin perfectly there (with little to no quene line), another scwarzkopf travel ride or a flat ride. Disaster Transport would be another spot for either a Zac Spin (with a nice quene line) or more flats. Get rid of Mean ****, and you can put in a very noce, solid coaster that could either be a newer Spinner with a compact design, or another wooden coaster that is better built (most likely an Intamin prefab).

AmusementSci

Roller Poster
MaidenUSA said:
I can't believe all the hate for Mean Streak. I thought it was a pretty fun wood coaster.

It is fun...If you've never ridden a quality wooden coaster. Or any other woodie for that matter.

Antinos

Slut for Spinners
I used to like it. Then I rode rides like Hades and Viper at SFGAm and realized that ok wooden coasters are a lot better.

vgmaster9

Roller Poster
I'd like to see a woodie from either GCI, Gravity Group, or Intamin. Either that, or a dueling B&M flyer.

AmusementSci

Roller Poster
Intamin pre-fab. They have the quality steel coasters. What they majorly lack is a good wooden coaster of this era.

Snoo

The Legend
madhjsp said:
500-foot tall dueling S&S compressed air launch coasters. That way, they can take back the height record, the speed record, AND the most coasters record in one fell swoop. Book it.

In the 6th post. Fail. ;)

lakeccrunner

Mega Poster
Damn. I guess that's what I get for coming back after 2 years and hardly reading a single thing. But at least that post wasn't someone who was actually serious about it. Or at least I think they weren't...I don't really know who anyone is anymore. :--D

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator
Just a question, though: Why is this in Polls & Opinions? Why not General Discussion?

Snoo

The Legend
I mean.. it COULD be classed as opinion thread.. but I do agree.. TO GENERAL DISCUSSIONS!

D1993

Hyper Poster
i didnt start this in general discussion?
i thought i started it in rumors?
well obviously not haha. my bad.
if theres no new coaster next year i dont know what id like to see instead. another thrill ride? i mean they just got windseeker. maybe they could get the worlds tallest freefall? thatd be awesome. Power Tower is more of a push, but the freefalls are just pure bliss.

Status
Not open for further replies.