What's new

Cedar Fair 2016

bentcookie

Mega Poster
As much as I hate to say it, I feel like this coaster being built for CP (if in fact it turns out to be a dive coaster) will be a let down compared to everything else being built for next season. The 4 RMCs will poop all over everything. Valravn or whatever it will be named will definitely have to have something unique other than being the tallest, fastest and longest to get my vote.

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
You realize your Top 10 is comprised of roller coasters that had tallest, fastest, and longest as their greatest attributes, right? :p

You just have to accept each roller coaster on its own merits. Outlaw Run and Iron Rattler opened in 2013, but that didn't detract from how well received Gatekeeper, Gold Striker, Flying Turns were.

steel

Mega Poster
bentcookie said:
As much as I hate to say it, I feel like this coaster being built for CP (if in fact it turns out to be a dive coaster) will be a let down compared to everything else being built for next season. The 4 RMCs will poop all over everything. Valravn or whatever it will be named will definitely have to have something unique other than being the tallest, fastest and longest to get my vote.

Good thing Cedar Point doesn't compete with any of those parks then.

bentcookie

Mega Poster
What I'm trying to get at is that I think a dive coaster is a weak choice for CP. There are many more options they could go with that I think are a lot better. Dive coasters just don't get me excited as much as other coasters do.

CarolinaRider

Mega Poster
^ I didn't know that Cedar Point had to cater to you specifically. The general public's opinion on the ride doesn't matter. It's not like they make up more than 99% of Cedar Point's annual attendance. Oh wait....

Anyways, Valravn's logo was posted to instagram along with several renderings of what look to be for Cedar Fair's new Virtual reality app. Found here: https://pixpix.co/coasterfeed/

Jarrett

Most Obnoxious Member 2016
Something that could be the layout was just leaked.

b7AxB10.jpg

ADpoNKV.png

zCwVTgQ.png

0GxVZqP.png

JojWBwT.png

HzCfc11.png

Credit: http://imgur.com/a/mvfRv via CP Food Blog

Personally hoping it's fake, which it could be if done with just NL2 and someone who happened to know how to make that logo. The logo doesn't look like anything CP has had before (usually their logos are a bit more cartoony, think Rougarou or GateKeeper) and I doubt it would have the name of the park in it. But as for the ride, I'm pretty let down with the utter lack of innovation on this one. They had so much opportunity and I feel like they blew it. I'm sure it'll be a fun ride, but I'm with bentcookie. After getting such phenomenal rides like Millennium, Maverick, Dragster, and GateKeeper this is a huge step back.

Here's to hoping this is fake!

GuyWithAStick

Captain Basic
That looks like what they would do for a normal Dive Machine. I hope it's fake as well. It looks nothing like what Cedar Point would have.

PeskyTrimBrake

Hyper Poster
Looks like it could rival Griffon sizewise. I'm guessing this will turn out to be fake but I could be wrong. I really like the layout though.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

tribar

Mega Poster
CarolinaRider said:
^ I didn't know that Cedar Point had to cater to you specifically. The general public's opinion on the ride doesn't matter. It's not like they make up more than 99% of Cedar Point's annual attendance. Oh wait....

Anyways, Valravn's logo was posted to instagram along with several renderings of what look to be for Cedar Fair's new Virtual reality app. Found here: https://pixpix.co/coasterfeed/

There's no need to be a dick.

I personally agree with him. A dive machine is probably the last thing Cedar Point needs, especially with Gatekeeper 10 feet away.

Hutch

Strata Poster
Yeah, hope it's not the real thing either, but tbh I'd be fine with that layout. Griffon is pretty good (even if the layout isn't really inspiring) so in theory this would've been good too. That airtime hill would've been pretty fab though.

bentcookie

Mega Poster
Glad I'm not the only one who thinks a Dive Machine could possibly be just meh for Cedar Point. Personally I would love a new wooden coaster, but I know that's very unlikely. I feel like a solid wooden coaster would really even out the lineup...& no, Blue Streak is not good enough to be considered a solid wooden coaster. Mean Streak....well that coaster doesn't even need an explanation.

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
To delve more into where the leaked images are sourced from:

An official Cedar Point app appeared on the Google Play Store briefly before being taken back down: http://behindthethrills.com/2015/08/div ... r-valravn/

Those lucky to download and parse through code were able to uncover the images and logo. (As Jarrett shared before)

b7AxB10.jpg

ADpoNKV.png

zCwVTgQ.png

0GxVZqP.png

JojWBwT.png

HzCfc11.png

That is to say - cards seem more stacked towards these images being legitimate than fake.

steel

Mega Poster
Not sure what's going on with y'all if you're not excited about a new dive machine in the US. That layout looks super fun and the two dive machines I've been on (Griffon and Oblivion) are both major standouts in their respective parks. Every new coaster doesn't have to be Lightning Rod, and anyway dive machines are huuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuge people eaters, eminently reridable, and generally well received across the board.

I don't buy "they're too much like wingriders" either, not when (1) we've just seen the explosive success of both Fury 325 and Leviathan despite claims that both are too similar to other coasters at those parks, and (2) IMO they're not any more similar than, for example, Maverick and TTD or Wicked Twister and Raptor.

lachlan

Mega Poster
So just saw photos of the invitation to the launch event - it's actually a cardboard VR headset with a slot for a phone.

Whats important is it says record-breaking (obviously, it's Cedar Point) and history-making. On the back it says "All will come into view 8/18/15".

A VR coaster would be really cool, but I can't see how it would work without an entirely enclosed train. It could just be a 360 degree marketing video though.

Jarrett

Most Obnoxious Member 2016
I've had the VR theory in mind for the past few days but didn't want to post it in fear of being called stupid.

However, Matt Ouimett did say he wanted virtual reality on a ride. Combine that with the fact that this was leaked from a virtual reality app, the fact that they're marketing this lackluster layout with that wall of coasters, the cardboard VR headset invitation, the "it all comes into view," it all seems to point to it. Now they could just be releasing the invite in the form of a virtual reality smartphone thing, but the "it all comes into view" and Matt Ouimett's desire for virtual reality seems to suggest that it's more than just that.

I'm not at all saying it's set in stone, it's a farfetched theory that's unlikely, but I wouldn't be surprised. Feel free to call me stupid and say I have no idea what I'm talking about, I'm sticking to my guns on this one. I definitely think it's plausible unless anybody has anything I'm not taking into account.

EDIT: Wanted to add that I'm thinking the front row might not have headsets. Usually with these dive coasters there's a huge line for the front and none for the back rows. Adding the headset to just the two rear rows would give way more reason to ride there. That way up front you see the actual coaster, in the back you get the full VR package.

lachlan

Mega Poster
Jarrett said:
I've had the VR theory in mind for the past few days but didn't want to post it in fear of being called stupid.

However, Matt Ouimett did say he wanted virtual reality on a ride. Combine that with the fact that this was leaked from a virtual reality app, the fact that they're marketing this lackluster layout with that wall of coasters, the cardboard VR headset invitation, the "it all comes into view," it all seems to point to it. Now they could just be releasing the invite in the form of a virtual reality smartphone thing, but the "it all comes into view" and Matt Ouimett's desire for virtual reality seems to suggest that it's more than just that.

I'm not at all saying it's set in stone, it's a farfetched theory that's unlikely, but I wouldn't be surprised. Feel free to call me stupid and say I have no idea what I'm talking about, I'm sticking to my guns on this one. I definitely think it's plausible unless anybody has anything I'm not taking into account.

EDIT: Wanted to add that I'm thinking the front row might not have headsets. Usually with these dive coasters there's a huge line for the front and none for the back rows. Adding the headset to just the two rear rows would give way more reason to ride there. That way up front you see the actual coaster, in the back you get the full VR package.
It wouldn't surprise me either, but I don't know how a park like Cedar Poit could pull it off. Giving people headsets, adjusting them etc would take ages. Boarding a roller coaster wearing a headset would be difficult as well. Surely this is just too slow for a Cedar Point ride? Maybe it would work at some smaller park on the scale of GreenWood, Codona's or maybe Lightwater Valley but nothing bigger. Capacity would be an issue.

Also this might sound stupid but what if a headset slipped off mid-ride? Are the straps secure enough?

CoasterCrazy

Giga Poster
I agree with Steel. Let's not forget we're talking about a park which has practically every other popular coaster type under the sun. With a DM, the only thing they really lack in their collection is a flyer, a 4D and dark ride of course.

It's a dive machine, so by its nature, it won't be a top 10 or even 20 coaster, but the public will lap it up, and I'm sure we'll probably enjoy the sheer scale of it. Out of all the DMs so far, this does have the strongest layout after all. I just hope at least one of the drops has a tunnel (preferably the first) - as without them, I find the drops relatively forceless to be honest.

What I would complain about would be the frequency of their new additions - they'll have effectively installed three new B&Ms in four years. Put in a dark ride/coaster in 2017, call RMC, and then this ride really doesn't need to open until at least 2022 to be honest. It just annoys me with all the other neglected CF parks begging for new additions at 1/5th of the price.
Think of how many chance hyper GT-Xs you could buy for >15 million!

GuyWithAStick

Captain Basic
YouTuber 'WolfRaging95' made a recreation of Valravn from the leaked blueprints and photos.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZnSVk_oL9g0[/youtube]

The recreation looks really good, but the ride itself seems pretty weird. Especially that zero-g into the helix. It all doesn't seem to fit in for CP.