What's new

Carowinds | Fury 325 | B&M Giga Coaster

EthC

Mega Poster
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=33FAWnCYjJg[/youtube]

This just looks absolutely out of this world, looks so fast and intense and it's only testing at the moment!!!!

The Hedgehog

Mega Poster
It looks like in the video, everytime you see the lead part of the train, that would be some airtime. You see it come into frame on all the hills, and even in the first turn where it transitions from the quick little left to right. I'm so pumped for this ride!

Jordanovichy

Credit Whore 2016
Smithy said:
Looks awfully dull to me tbh.

I was thinking the same to be honest.

The height and first drop looks AMAZING, seriously brilliant, but then it just sort of goes a but meh. There are a couple of decent looking airtime hills towards the end, but the middle, it just weaves around doing nothing in particular. It looks amazing from a distance, with the massive height and the beaut lights but that's all it's really got going for it...no longer really looking forward to this!

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
At this point, I could see the coaster either being very good, or very bad. One thing POVs are never able to capture well is the sense of speed, which is a driving factor for this coaster's layouts thanks to its numerous banked turns.

I'll try to hold reservation until I ride it, but do wonder if Fury will have enough to top Leviathan. (Or even how it will shake out versus MF)

ThomVD

Giga Poster
Yeah, I have to agree with what has been said before. This looked like it was going to be one of the best coasters on the planet to me, but I'm not so sure now actually. I know it's just the testing and I might change my mind when more vids are released, but it looks sort of... uneventful? All very fast but not much going on. I think Leviathan looks better, and aside from the fact that I'd love to experience a B&M giga, I'd take a hyper over this one to be honest.

Still, looks like a fantastic coaster and a great addition to Carowinds.

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
I'm looking forward to see how the entrance pans out. I really hope Cedar Fair makes new coaster/entrance renovations a thing. I'm looking at you Kings Island.

Smithy

Strata Poster
It's not even that the POV looks slow or anything because it doesn't really, but the layout is extremely boring, as good as the & is on Shambhala it's one of the weakest parts of the ride. Seems like a waste of a layout really.

CanobieFan

Strata Poster
^ I think the reason it has all the turns and such is the same reason Leviathan has them. Both parks already have hypers that are out and backs with hill,hill,hill... And while most of us may like to have that again with a 300 foot coaster, the park wants to "show" its a different ride.

The first drop looks so lovely.... the rest seems kinda meh.. the ending (after the boring looking helix) looks great but the end is awful... I wonder if its a CF thing, or B&M thing that it needs to slam to a stop like that, why couldn't they stop it like 305 ( http://rcdb.com/4520.htm?p=28203 ) or even other B&M rides (like say, SheiKra, where it uses mag trims to slow the train and you only hold/stop at the end of the run)

Meh-ness aside, I'll still be making a run for it this summer and I hope its awesome.

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
Another factor that is very real is cost.

Simply put, you can build a shorter banked turn than an airtime hill when traveling at higher speeds, as g-force puts riders into their seats instead of restraints, equating to a more "comfortable" ride.

Obviously, coaster enthusiasts want as much airtime as it takes for their heads to explode, but there is a measure of rider comfort and wheel wear taken into account with elements. Maverick heartline roll anybody?

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=guTTVVco1NA[/youtube]​

Banked turns are the less intense element, and provide less track, reducing cost of both track build and wheel replacement.

All that being said; the coaster could use a good airtime hill instead of the banked speed curves. But at least it will be the tallest, fastest giga - right?

XLR8R

Roller Poster
The Fury 325 test video looks really nice and I think that it'll become a very good B&M, likely one of the better ones of recent times. Honestly, I was surprised it traveled through its elements as quickly as it did during testing, which is usually sluggish, especially for a B&M.

roomraider

Best Topic Starter
So this is meant to be open on open day for the park right? I assume the entrance won't be though? It looks really unfinished and open day is soon.

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
^ That's a good question. Not having everything ready by opening day would be so.... Six Flags of them. :razz:

Opening day is March 28, and construction for the entrance seems to be clipping along. They could very well pull it off; at least the bridge with the over/under flyby.

Here's the latest views:

camera1.jpg

camera2.jpg

Jarrett

Most Obnoxious Member 2016
Honestly, I was expecting exactly what we got. It's just like someone gave a 5-year old RCT3 and they kept making overbank after overbank after overbank, but that's what was shown in the rendering. I really wish they had put some more Leviathan into this and thrown in a camelback or speed hill or three. Those last three hills look really weak. I think what will make or break this ride for me is whether or not you get any good positive force in those high speed turns.

At least I have a way of getting down there that costs me next to nothing this summer. :/

Antinos

Slut for Spinners
Basically everyone who said it doesn't look like it does anything due to it having turns obviously hasn't been on Dominator. The turns between the loop and the cobra roll are the two best elements on the ride.

Regarding the brakes - it was the first test ride. Programmers are still in the process of working on their code and so the ride was almost certainly operated in manual mode. I can almost guarantee that the final brakes were purposely clamped. The train will gradually slow throughout that section and most of the way down the inclined portion - just like Leviathan - when the ride opens to the public.

bmac

Giga Poster
Antinos said:
Basically everyone who said it doesn't look like it does anything due to it having turns obviously hasn't been on Dominator. The turns between the loop and the cobra roll are the two best elements on the ride.

Regarding the brakes - it was the first test ride. Programmers are still in the process of working on their code and so the ride was almost certainly operated in manual mode. I can almost guarantee that the final brakes were purposely clamped. The train will gradually slow throughout that section and most of the way down the inclined portion - just like Leviathan - when the ride opens to the public.

That section essentially serves as the MCBR anyways, only under emergency circumstances will a train be stopped up there.

GuyWithAStick

Captain Basic
Re: Carowinds | Fury 325 | B&M Giga Coaster

GorresCoasters said:
I'm interested to what the ride will be like if the trims are removed.

Not much different I'd assume.

Sent from my VS840 4G using Tapatalk

_koppen

Hyper Poster
It looks a lot faster in this video!

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xn3Z4B0l12M[/youtube]

Snoo

The Legend
This ride reminds me of Raging Bull.. or what it should be. If this can keep that pace and they dont trim it to death.. it could be quite fun to be tossed around at such high speed.