GuyWithAStick

Captain Basic
Turnaround's been done for quite some time:
FGU39HT.jpg

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
They are really making a mess of things, aren't they?

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
^ It's a partially sarcastic post. ;)

Since Carowinds is revamping the entrance, adding the roller coaster, and reworking the approach to the entrance/parking lot, the construction site is very expansive - from the entrance all the way to the parking gate.

coaster addict

Mega Poster
Apparently, as of 1/9/15, we are looking at about 45 to 50 more pieces remaining. After that point, trains will arrive and more electrical will be completed before testing begins. Barring a huge weather system or miscalculation in the precision cutting [of the track], this giga should be good-to-go by opening day! Thoughts?

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
^ Of course this roller coaster will open on Opening Day. What kind of outfit do you think this is, Six Flags? :roll:

Well that was fast - two more airtime hills have been added over the last 5 days.

camera2.jpg

Essentially, all of the layout is now in place except for numbers 10 and 11 from this diagram.

fury_layout_zoom.jpg

CoasterCrazy

Giga Poster
I305Evan said:
The ride operators are going to love reaching across to check the seatbelts in the middle seats.

So they are. It still surprises me that they need to manually check seatbelts...I mean wouldn't a visual scan suffice? Surely you can see whether it's clicked in or it isn't, unlike with a proper restraint? Everyone should be able to tie up a seatbelt properly.
They more than doubled Gwazi's (rest in pieces) dispatch time when I was there in 2012! The hassle required for what is essentially, a redundant placebo was obscene.

Saying that, Carowinds may simply resort to operators keeping the restraints unlocked, then asking riders to belt up, before a visual scan, locking of restraints, and a manual scan. Here's to hoping that's the case!

S

SimonSays99

I do not think seatbelts are needed on most coasters - Silver Star at EP, even if a little smaller has none. If a rider is too fat you can program the lapbars to simply don't lock and swing back up. Thinking about German fair loopers if they would need seatbelts most showmen would be bancrupt in no time due to the slow ops.

And if you need them due to local laws why not making them the smart way: You loosely lock the seatbelt, which have electronic circuits so the ops and attendants see on a board with red/green LEDs which seats are locked. Then a small engine under the seat is tightening the seatbelt and then - automatically - the lapbars are lowered/closed.

steel

Mega Poster
CoasterCrazy said:
I305Evan said:
The ride operators are going to love reaching across to check the seatbelts in the middle seats.

So they are. It still surprises me that they need to manually check seatbelts...I mean wouldn't a visual scan suffice? Surely you can see whether it's clicked in or it isn't, unlike with a proper restraint? Everyone should be able to tie up a seatbelt properly.
They more than doubled Gwazi's (rest in pieces) dispatch time when I was there in 2012! The hassle required for what is essentially, a redundant placebo was obscene.

Saying that, Carowinds may simply resort to operators keeping the restraints unlocked, then asking riders to belt up, before a visual scan, locking of restraints, and a manual scan. Here's to hoping that's the case!

Making it policy for ops to manually check every restraint is a very good safety practice as it forces them to be thorough. There's no way a park can be absolutely sure their ops are paying attention if all they're required to do is look at the train. It would be so easy to miss something. You just can't trust humans that much, we're too fallible. Remember that most major accidents at amusement parks are human error. The physical aspect of restraint-checking keeps ops focused and makes it blatantly obvious if there actually is a problem. It's a good precaution all things considered.

Nonetheless I don't really think seatbelts are necessary on B&Ms with clamshell lap bars.

S

SimonSays99

^Thinking about Mack Mega like Blue-Fire or Helix or Gerstlauer Infinity like Karacho have more aggressive negative Gs and none of them hassle with seatbelts.

But all these are located in Europe. Laws may differ. And remember that flats on fairs are for example not fenced so GP here are maybe more careful in and around rides... :wink: