What's new

Canada’s Wonderland Construction Thread - New Coaster/Wonder Mountain Renovation?

TPoseOnTantrum

Giga Poster
Canada’s Wonderland has released a survey detailing three new coaster concepts in the pipeline, with the first two being launched B&M invert/wing coasters and the third a GCI spiral lift wooden coaster.

Blast Coaster
A strange, unexplainable force has taken over the core of Wonder Mountain. Strap in to your winged coaster car and prepare for an exhilarating high-speed launch that propels you through a cavernous subterranean tunnel and into the heart of the mountain. Suddenly, you are blasted straight up and out of the summit's highest peak.Experience awe inspiring views as you soar high above Canada's Wonderland and encounter a thrilling series of heart pounding twists and dizzying turns!
FDE379D6-35BF-48EE-B680-BA133CAFB21C.png

Concert Coaster
Live your greatest rockstar dream as you and your bandmates go backstage, behind the velvet ropes, hop on a winged coaster car and launch (literally) onto a concert-light-filled stage for the ultimate, thrilling, pulse-pounding rock experience. A classic guitar riff sends you zooming over spectators' heads and into a series of intense, high-speed inversions, all accompanied by your wing coaster's dynamic onboard audio system blasting multiple classic audio tracks played by some of Canada's greatest bands!
BE0D5173-4C49-4197-9709-00100FD47621.png

Eureka Ridge Ghost Town
Adventure and excitement await visitors to the small Canadian frontier mining town of Eureka Ridge Ghost Town and its signature wooden family coaster. Board your train car for a thrilling, harrowing, off-the-rails ride experience full of exciting drops, hair-raising turns, and a dynamic, explosive ending in the tunnels of an old abandoned gold mine.
D6652078-2A4B-4230-B100-9BEB88FC9D65.png

Some initial thoughts;
  • Launched B&M wing sounds like a typical Cedar Fair and Canada’s Wonderland investment at this point. I’d say it’s more likely they go with that, although Zambezi Zinger seems to be doing well enough that the Ghost Town coaster is listed as a backup.
  • The wing coasters seem to be eyeballing one of the two show venue sites. The Concert Coaster would be reusing the derelict Kingswood Amphitheatre lurking at the front of the park, while the Blast Coaster would be using the venue by Wonder Mountain's Guardian (and probably putting WMG itself on the surprise chopping block, which makes sense because that coaster causes problems). My takeaway is that the park would be choosing which one to keep and which one to scrap for replacement. Personally I support the former option, since the smaller venue staying makes more sense and the Blast concept would ruin the sightline. Kingswood has had its time and isn’t in good shape anymore, I have fond memories there but it can go.
    Screen Shot 2023-07-11 at 4.33.52 PM.jpg
  • Snoopy’s Racing Railway has shaped up to be a controversial development - the park spent a lot of cash and effort on an attraction exclusive to a small audience. Nethertheless, it’s a fantastic proof-of-concept for the park’s newfound theming ability and what they can accomplish with future attractions. This intention is definitely reflected in these concepts, especially the Ghost Town wooden coaster!

All in all, exciting times for Canada’s Wonderland indeed!

Source

Last edited:

Matt N

CF Legend
Ooh, these sound interesting!

I know that it's a wing coaster, but Blast Coaster almost looks like a new take on Volcano at Kings Dominion, which I reckon would be quite cool for Canada's Wonderland's main mountain!

Concert Coaster sounds kind of like Rock'n'Rollercoaster in terms of themed concept, which could be quite neat!

Eureka Ridge Ghost Town sounds decent, particularly in terms of theming, but I haven't heard massively good things about Zambezi Zinger based on the few on here who've ridden, so I'd probably vote for one of the two B&M launched wing coaster concepts. Although I do love a good GCI, so I'm undecided...

Lori Marie Loud

Giga Poster
Canada’s Wonderland has released a survey detailing three new coaster concepts in the pipeline, with the first two being launched B&M invert/wing coasters and the third a GCI spiral lift wooden coaster.

View attachment 25734

View attachment 25735

View attachment 25736

Some initial thoughts;
  • Launched B&M wing sounds like a typical Cedar Fair and Canada’s Wonderland investment at this point. I’d say it’s more likely they go with that, although Zambezi Zinger seems to be doing well enough that the Ghost Town coaster is listed as a backup.
  • The wing coasters seem to be eyeballing one of the two show venue sites. The Concert Coaster would be reusing the derelict Kingswood Amphitheatre lurking at the front of the park, while the Blast Coaster would be using the venue by Wonder Mountain's Guardian (and probably putting WMG itself on the surprise chopping block, which makes sense because that coaster causes problems). My takeaway is that the park would be choosing which one to keep and which one to scrap for replacement. Personally I support the former option, since the smaller venue staying makes more sense and the Blast concept would ruin the sightline. Kingswood has had its time and isn’t in good shape anymore, I have fond memories there but it can go.
    View attachment 25737
  • Snoopy’s Racing Railway has shaped up to be a controversial development - the park spent a lot of cash and effort on an attraction exclusive to a small audience. Nethertheless, it’s a fantastic proof-of-concept for the park’s newfound theming ability and what they can accomplish with future attractions. This intention is definitely reflected in these concepts, especially the Ghost Town wooden coaster!

Source
That first one reminds me of nothing in particular, no siree...

View attachment 25734

View attachment 25735

View attachment 25736

Some initial thoughts;
    View attachment 25737

Source
Where abouts in the area is Eureka Ridge Ghost Town? Is it replacing any attractions cause I can't quite tell ahaha

bratcurry

Mega Poster
How do you come up with the idea of having a wing coaster speed over the heads of a concert crowd. That's wild af lol.

emoo

Hyper Poster
Neither rip out and replace the SLC or Volare so I'm open to a 4th option.

The park already has great B&Ms and bad wooden coasters so get the Spiral while it's still new and special.

The Wing's sound most likely and I'll be happy with that. Blasting out of the top of the mountain would be my preferred choice. I never liked the look of Volcanoes supports so hopefully B&M can keep it minimal while still have the cool blasting feature.

ricklap77

Roller Poster
Nice to see that park always adding attractions on a regular basis. Kudos to CW for being innovative and caring about customers. It's not like if they have so much competition around. Darien Lake is not a huge competitor, La Ronde 6 hours away is far and they are removing rides instead of adding any! The big competitor would be, and it's not now, Marineland if it got sold to a big chain, which is very possible!

Lori Marie Loud

Giga Poster
but Blast Coaster almost looks like a new take on Volcano at Kings Dominion, which I reckon would be quite cool for Canada's Wonderland's main mountain!
That's part of the reason why I want to see it happen. The other part is it'd finally bring a B&M Invert to CW after CP's non compete clause killed the 1990's attempt.

Matt N

CF Legend
That's part of the reason why I want to see it happen. The other part is it'd finally bring a B&M Invert to CW after CP's non compete clause killed the 1990's attempt.
It would actually be a wing coaster according to the description, if I’m remembering correctly.

Fiender

Roller Poster
Concept art is very obviously an invert so I'm guessing the description was a typo.
Either that, or there was some miscommunication when that art was commissioned. I agree that an invert is more likely, easier to clear space through the mountain/basement for it. According to Amusement Insiders, there are marking around kingswood/flight deck/time warp that are so wide, they would almost HAVE to represent clearance for a wing coaster, and it'd be odd for the park to seriously consider a wing coaster for front gate AND behind the mountain.

Keepo

Roller Poster
I would prefer the Blast Coaster because I think it would to have a big roller coaster to go around the mountain as the central hub of the park. It would also be a good gateway to add more lore Since there isn’t that much dedicated to the mountain. i can see the Blast Coaster being the best fit when it comes to theming and we don’t have a winged coaster.

The Concert Coaster would be my least favorite choice. The theming doesn’t fit with the rest of the park And would seem out of place. Plus, we already have an area for a concert therefore a wast of space

The wooden coaster doesn’t make sense for Canadas Wounderland. First, we already have 4 wooden rides it wouldn’t make sense to add another one. Second, Cedar Fair has done this theme way to many times in their other parks and beside, Ukon Striker is already themed after a mine so it really doesn't make sense to add it.

ricklap77

Roller Poster
That would be nice!! But CW could definetly build a brand new RMC from the ground up! They have the guts to do it. A big, tall, bold, RMC hybrid.

Youngster Joey

Strata Poster
That would be nice!! But CW could definetly build a brand new RMC from the ground up! They have the guts to do it. A big, tall, bold, RMC hybrid.
Sadly, seems pretty clear Cedar Fair is done with RMC now, and when they decide they're done with a manufacturer (looking at you Intamin) they stick to it for a long time. I really would love to see a great wooden coaster or something done to the 2 bad ones at that park but if zinger is anything to go by, CCI and Infinity flyers aren't gonna provide a great wooden coaster.

MaxxForceFan

Roller Poster
Sadly, seems pretty clear Cedar Fair is done with RMC now, and when they decide they're done with a manufacturer (looking at you Intamin) they stick to it for a long time. I really would love to see a great wooden coaster or something done to the 2 bad ones at that park but if zinger is anything to go by, CCI and Infinity flyers aren't gonna provide a great wooden coaster.
Yeah, they should just give Zamperla a shot at rebuilding one of the wood coasters with Lightning trains. /s