What's new

Can a Ride be so Bad it's Good?

BBH

Giga Poster
Thunderation. The experience was totally WTF but because of that I enjoyed it.

Edward M

Strata Poster
I am going to say Disaster Transport. It shouldn't have been that good, it really shouldn't have, but with the horrible sets and effects as well as the horrible storyline, it became a comical experience. I enjoyed the whole ride. It became one of my favorites at the park.

Also +1 creds are usually a lot of fun and are probably the best example of so bad it's good.

jayjay

Giga Poster
Dark Rides and walkthroughs in general have good potential for so-bad-it's-good. Can anyone say "bat on a stick?"

remixedcat

Roller Poster
Nothing can be good about adventure express at KI, I tried to like it but it was really bad.

sorta liked the indiana jones vibe but that ride gave me the runs :( something about the way it shakes getting that kinda part of the body going.

anyone had that?

But disaster transport??? hells yeah that ride was amazing in every way. Good break from the heat, cool space theme, lvoed how it was a tight ride in darkness and felt kinda scary, and gave my eyes a break a lil from the harsh july sun.

Not much to hate about that one

Chris Coasters

Strata Poster
For me it is the coaster in my signature Skull Mountain. Its a bit rough, it has really horrible special effects, it plays really loud thrash metal music and has a really bad mummy sound that goes mwuuhhh. But all of that makes it so fun. Not by choice we rode this 28 times in 4 days at the park 21 in one day. It was rainy so we marathoned it and we just grew to love it.

Another one that comes to mind is Firehawk at Kings Island. Everything about a flying vekoma sounds sketchy and it is. The restraints are really awkward and sketchy, going up the lifthill on your back was awful. The entire ride felt like I was going to fall out because you are putting so much pressure on those restraints. But overall it was super fun because it gives you that really unsafe ride feel to it which makes for a fun experience.

nadroJ

CF Legend
Coaster Express at Parque Warner Madrid is stupidly, hilariously terrible. `

I do think a lot of these things require an audience to share the 'wtf' with though. I imagine if I sat through something crap like the old dark rides at Blackpool without the CF audience I would just come away thinking well that was **** ****, rather than that was hilariously bad.

remixedcat

Roller Poster
Chris Coasters said:
Another one that comes to mind is Firehawk at Kings Island. Everything about a flying vekoma sounds sketchy and it is. The restraints are really awkward and sketchy, going up the lifthill on your back was awful. The entire ride felt like I was going to fall out because you are putting so much pressure on those restraints. But overall it was super fun because it gives you that really unsafe ride feel to it which makes for a fun experience.

I really wanted to try it out but everyone that just got off it was like "this ride sucks don't even bother" and a buncha people were rubbing their backs and groaning how much "that was so not worth wating a hour and fifteen minutes for!" and stuff so I didn't even bother.

Chris Coasters

Strata Poster
I wouldn't wait that long for it either.

My friend Jake absolutely hated it he was legitimately scared of it. It's just a odd experience, odd restraints, odd lifthill, odd layout, just everything is odd. But it's also a fun/dangerous kind of sketchy so that's why I liked it. Like I said you end up putting a lot of pressure on the restraints and they bend unlike B&M flyers which have you jammed in nice and tight. It just gives you the feeling of certain doom. It wasn't that rough either which is usually the kiss of death for me and coasters is the roughness.

Hobbes

Mega Poster
Chris Coasters said:
My friend Jake absolutely hated it he was legitimately scared of it. It's just a odd experience, odd restraints, odd lifthill, odd layout, just everything is odd. But it's also a fun/dangerous kind of sketchy so that's why I liked it. Like I said you end up putting a lot of pressure on the restraints and they bend unlike B&M flyers which have you jammed in nice and tight. It just gives you the feeling of certain doom. It wasn't that rough either which is usually the kiss of death for me and coasters is the roughness.
Yeah, odd is probably the best word to sum up the Dutchmen (I don't have Firehawk but Nighthawk is close enough for comparison I assume). The thing that made it such a strange experience for me was that, although the restraints were bulky, they didn't really seem that tight. I could slide around a decent amount in the vest, which led to some truly sketchy moments. The double corkscrew at the end was especially weird, with the coaster rotating while I could feel my body slipping inside the restraint. The riding position with the restraints definitely make it such an odd experience.

nadroJ said:
They're awful! Not so bad it's good just bad bad bad.
I'd take Nighthawk over Superman Ultimate Flight any day. It's fun even if it's a bad ride.