Lofty

CF Legend
Re: Camelot Closed... Again

^ If you're actually heading there, let me know, I need it too :(

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team

^Same! I need the spinner and one of the kiddy coasters as well, so I NEED to go this year in case it finally closes after that.

Robbie

Hyper Poster

Lofty said:
I was joking, I know Chorley is on the other side of the M6, I know the area very well ;)
Heh. On a clear day I can just about see Camelot from my house (but then, living on a hill, I can also see Blackpool Tower), and it's only a 5 minute drive away. Not that I'm about to buy a Season Pass or anything!

Nic

Strata Poster

Trust me, nobody "needs" the spinner cred. Even the +1 wasn't worth the 2 months of neck ache I suffered afterwards

Lofty

CF Legend

^ It is one of the worst I've rode. I actually don't understand how it can get THAT rough?

Jake

Strata Poster

I didn't think Whirlwind was that bad... it was a bit gross, but nothing worse than your average Reverchon </////3.

Plus...

Mark said:
I still need the Schwarzkopf...

You need to go back! It's actually really good, and we're pretty lucky it came all the way to the UK from Japan <3.

I secretly love Camelot. It's a revolting, grotesque dump but I have a soft spot for it. The Schwarz is fab. I secretly hope they get another cred so I can go back <3.

Lofty

CF Legend

I think we need to do a little credit trip this year guys!

Jake, pretend you've not got it so you need to come back ;)

STC

Mega Poster

What's weird here is that Knightmare is a genuinely brilliant coaster. But you're all talking about it like it's some Tivoli that needs riding just for the cred. I've returned to Camelot a handful of times since I 'got the cred' because it's such a brilliant ride.

We're coaster enthusiasts, not stamp collectors! :p

Ollie

CF Legend

I still need the creds so I'm up for a trip there if others are going.

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team

^Pretty sure that's been the plan a couple of times now and NEVER actually happened. I'm up for trying it some random weekend before the summer.

I can understand not wanting to make a massive, separate effort for it if you're based down south, but for us Northerners, it's a relatively easy cred run that we just keep putting off.

I'll set up some kind of planning topic in the next week or so.

Will

Strata Poster

Yeah, it's only an hour up the M6 from me, I've not been in 5 years and it can't actually be as bad as I remember it being and I'm sure I promised Sue at some point, so if there's a group going I'd be up for some Knightmare if nothing else :)
#notreallyaddinganything

Mysterious Sue

Strata Poster

Cool, I appreciate it's much easier for those further north just to pop along.
I don't mind making the effort just to see how bad it actually is. The place is legendary on here

MouseAT

Hyper Poster

Mysterious Sue said:
Can we maybe tag a trip onto the Blackpool live?
gavin said:
Pretty sure that's been the plan a couple of times now and NEVER actually happened.
We did that a few years back. 2009 maybe? There's never been enough interest to attempt it since.

Will said:
It can't actually be as bad as I remember it being
Yes it can. It's a terrible park.

Knightmare is fun though, although annoyingly rough in places.

Will

Strata Poster

^
Yeah, 2009 it was actually part of the Blackpool Live - I only made the Saturday, but anyone who was at either day will remember the HORRENDOUS weather, and not a great deal else.
Not that that was Camelot's fault, obviously...

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator

STC said:
What's weird here is that Knightmare is a genuinely brilliant coaster. But you're all talking about it like it's some Tivoli that needs riding just for the cred. I've returned to Camelot a handful of times since I 'got the cred' because it's such a brilliant ride.

We're coaster enthusiasts, not stamp collectors! :p

Hmmmmm... In terms of UK coasters, I'd put it in there with those marmite coasters like Air, Jubilee Odyssey and Rita. It's certainly a "quality" ride, but it's not (IMO) that great. The bigger brother, Lisebergbanana, is superior in every single way and while I'd happily make the effort to go to Gothenberg to ride it, I wouldn't make the effort to go an hour up the M6 for Knightmare. Likewise, I don't generally ride Rita or Air, and wouldn't go across to Lincolnshire for JO (though I actually really liked the ride).

It's just one of those "it's good, but not that good" things. It is frustrating because it's easily the best ride in Camelot and one of the better ones in the UK, it's just a lot to spend going to and into Camelot for.

And those high sided trains and seatbelts? Please, God, no!!!!!!

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team

furie said:
It's just one of those "it's good, but not that good" things.
Yeah, I call that the "Schwarzkopf effect". As much as I appreciate the heritage & importance of Schwarzkopf coasters, I do think us enthusiasts look at them through rose tinted spectacles.