What's new

Cadbury Curiosity

nealbie

CF Legend
This is one for our members from across the pond.

Now Kraft has purchased Cadbury, does Dairy Milk (in its proper form) retail in the States these days? American friends of mine (and Taylor I suppose, not that she's a good way to back-up a point of view) have always said that they much prefer Cadbury's chocolate to what they're offered over there, but have never been able to get their hands on it unfortunately.

So I'm just curious to know as to whether REAL Dairy Milk Cadbury's sells over there and what you guys think of the chocolate of the Gods.

Much obliged.

weedjam

Roller Poster
I somehow doubt that kraft decided to acquire cadbury to strategically sell the "proper" dairy milk bars that were obviously deemed not fit for retail in north america by market research.

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
^I don't think that's what he's saying though. He's just generally curious to know if Kraft are selling it in the US.

I don't think it was really a case of CDM not being 'fit for retail' in the US, more that I don't think they had the production chances. I don't know, but I wouldn't have thought Cadbury's market research would've said to avoid selling in abroad.

weedjam

Roller Poster
But they did sell CDM, just with a different blend of chocolate, suited to north american tastes (which is generally much sweeter chocolate). And they still do.

SaiyanHajime

CF Legend
Even the Cadbury chocolate in Australia isn't the same as here.

Most American's do seem to prefer European chocolate to the crap they get, which does make you wonder wtf Hershey are doing. That said, I have encountered yanks who think ours are "too sweet".

Not just Cadbury either, Kitkat's in the US aren't the same. And even US brands, such as Mars - A US Mars Bar is a Milky Way, only ****. And a 3 Musketeer is a UK Mars Bar, only ****.

I was desperate for chocolate on an 11 hour drive from Holiday World back to Richmond Va, and we stopped somewhere and I dared buy Hershey. I was instantly reminded why I avoid it. It's like Tesco own brand cooking chocolate, only WORSE.

Mike

Giga Poster
Joey said:
Not just Cadbury either, Kitkat's in the US aren't the same. And even US brands, such as Mars - A US Mars Bar is a Milky Way, only ****. And a 3 Musketeer is a UK Mars Bar, only ****.

I always thought (and tasted) that a US Milky Way was pretty much EXACTLY the same as our Mars Bar, and the 3 Musketeers bar is similar to our Milky Way bar?

For the Cadbury question, I thought it was something to do with how much cocoa the US are actually allowed to use in their products, or something like that? I could be completely wrong though, so meh. :?

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
All I know is that the only thing Hershey have ever got right is their amusement park.

That cheap, plastic-textured (and tasting) **** sure as hell isn't chocolate.