Votes: 6 66.7%
  • Margerine

Votes: 2 22.2%
  • Other

Votes: 1 11.1%

• Total voters

nadroJ

CF Legend
So, when you're out with your friends eating, do you still eat kosher? Sorry if I'm prying, you can tell me to shut up if you want, I'm just intruiged =]

Youngster Joey

Strata Poster
nadroJ said:
So, when you're out with your friends eating, do you still eat kosher? Sorry if I'm prying, you can tell me to shut up if you want, I'm just intruiged =]

Haha, it's totally fine. I don't eat kosher outside the house. The most annoying thing about keeping kosher though is that it severely limits the microwaveable meal and snack things I can buy. Oh and ordering Chinese is a pain because it's tofu only.

marc

CF Legend
^Tell me about it. When I lived at home had the same problem really limited what I could eat no takeaways etc. There was a kosher Chinese up the road though but they charged double for everything.

SaiyanHajime

CF Legend
Kosher is even more retarded than I thought it was. And I thought it was pretty damn retarded.

Glad you guys ain't following that crap whenever you can. I actively avoid halal/kosher because of animal cruelty. The methods used for slaughter are against the law in the UK unless for religious purposes (which is sick in its own right), and completely banned in a couple of sensible north European countries. So if the take-away has Halal scrawled on the door, I ain't eating there.

T0M

Hyper Poster
I opt for margarine (a light one at that) for health reasons, but obviously butter tastes better.

Youngster Joey

Strata Poster
Joey said:
Kosher is even more retarded than I thought it was. And I thought it was pretty damn retarded.

Glad you guys ain't following that crap whenever you can. I actively avoid halal/kosher because of animal cruelty. The methods used for slaughter are against the law in the UK unless for religious purposes (which is sick in its own right), and completely banned in a couple of sensible north European countries. So if the take-away has Halal scrawled on the door, I ain't eating there.

You do know the to be kosher the animal has to be slaughtered in the quickest and least painful way, right?

Also most of the "laws" are health related. The things we can't eat are the things that made people sick at the time. Pig for example, however in modern times we have figured out how to rid the pig of potential diseases.

edit: Stupid double post

Youngster Joey

Strata Poster
Joey said:

You do know the to be kosher the animal has to be slaughtered in the quickest and least painful way, right?

Also most of the "laws" are health related. The things we can't eat are the things that made people sick at the time. Pig for example, however in modern times we have figured out how to rid the pig of potential diseases.

marc

CF Legend
Cutting the throat just goes back to the old days when it was the quickest and least painful way, the other way was to keep hitting the animal round the head until it died.

The stun gun method is now the best way but people wont change as its written the way to do it is cut the throat. Just like not mixing milk and meat even though now days people do not get sick as we have a fridge to stop things going off :)

But sometimes the stun gun fails to stun the animal then they are in pain until their throat is cut. Cutting the throat is the quickest way as you are not stunning the animal to then cut its throat, its all over very fast. But again some people have not done it right and these were the events documented.

Religion never moves with the times and thats just about all of them tbh.

Anyway better now spam the topic.

SaiyanHajime

CF Legend
Youngster Joey said:
Joey said:

Indoctrinated ****, unfortunately. There's a reason some of the sensible north European countries just ban it outright.

At the TIME when it was written, yes maybe, but not now.

There's actually a law introduced in pretty much all civilised countries to ensure humane slaughter of animals. In the UK, that means livestock have to legally be stunned rendering them unconscious prior to having its throat cut or chest punctured. The system in the UK is set up to reduce stress to the animals.

In the US, animals can be starved of oxygen, stunned mechanically or electrically, or shot. By law, it HAS to be one of these methods.

Unless, it's for Jewish or Islamic reasons, where stunning is forbidden... Which is clearly wrong just on the basis of it being outside of the law everyone else has to abide by.

I don't particularly have issues with the actual act of the throat slitting, I guess. I'd rather animals were stunned. I'm just glad neither Jews nor Muslims eat pigs, who are most prone to panic because they are smart enough to work out whats going on.

And the modern factory farmed method of slaughtering animals for religious purposes is **** barbaric beyond comprehension. Go look it up, if you dare.

It involves cattle going inside a mechanical machine with their neck poking out, span upside down and their throats slit... they then are dropped to wriggle about in panic in their own bloody mess until they die, which can take minutes.

If you grew up with kosher or halal, or still eat it today... You have likely eaten meat killed this way. Not all of it is done like this, but... Yeah.

Just like not mixing milk and meat even though now days people do not get sick as we have a fridge to stop things going off
I looked up why mixing milk and meat was apparently so wrong... The actual text is more of a respect thing, to not bath the calf in it's mothers milk. I guess it's metaphorically, that bathing an animal in the thing that gave it life, is just throwing salt on the wound?

I dunno, load of crap regardless.

marc

CF Legend
^If you eat meat from M&S upto 5 years ago you also eat an animal that was killed that way as well :)

Things are changing joey, at the moment they are working on getting it agreed to use stun guns.

They have also changed the eggs we can use at it was only ever battery ones due to the chance of the egg containing a baby. Now as long as the farm keeps then separate free range can be used.

Cows have to be free range and eat grass, if the cow is kept inside etc it cannot be used for kosher meat.

This mixing milk and meat thing was silly. You could have milk before meat but not the other way. We were always told it would make you sick but as always it never made me sick.

Now days we have answers to the million year old way of doing things. Religion all kinds needs to move with the times.

SaiyanHajime

CF Legend
Yeah, everything's changing. I mean, until recently, battery farmed eggs were the norm for EVERYONE!

Barn eggs are your best bet for avoiding fertilised, or so I hear. They don't have the free roaming of free range, but they aren't kept in horrendous conditions either. In fact, a lot of animal rights groups actually say barn eggs are best.

Cows have to be free range and eat grass, if the cow is kept inside etc it cannot be used for kosher meat.
I've heard this a few times, but also that it's actually not true and is made up to make people feel better? I dunno though.

I don't know how I personally feel about religion evolving. I mean, if it's the word of God... It should't. The problem is it's not the word of God, and until people accept that, there's no real hope.

marc

CF Legend
God does not tell anyone how to kill animals, that's just humans passing info down through generations.

About the cow thing, it is true as farms have to be checked to make sure they comply.

Thekingin64

Strata Poster
That "dicussion" on killing animals made me completly forget this topic's about butter!

I normally use marg due to the ease of use compared to butter, but butter is really nice when I'm bothered to have it.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Thekingin64 said:
That "dicussion" on killing animals made me completly forget this topic's about butter!

Yes, I can't believe it's about butter either!