What's new

Busch Gardens Tampa | Tigris | Premier SkyRocket II

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
That's BGT playing the long game. SBNO a ride in 2015 and wait until 2020 to revamp it. All the while it rots away, one if the most creative coaster designers ever is busy dreaming up something bonkers.

giphy.gif

J Rod

Roller Poster
Holy **** it's actually happening. I thought there was no chance they'd RMC that rotting mess. It'll be interesting to see how they go about the conversion. I'm not sure how much of that structure will actually be able to be used in the new coaster. I think it's likely that we see a conversion similar to Storm Chaser's. The structure and ride length will probably be drastically cut down allowing for a shorter, single-circuit ride. Nonetheless, I can't wait to ride this thing and see how it turns out.

Thekingin64

Strata Poster
With how long Gwazi has been stood unloved now and how rotted the wood must be, I wouldn't be surprised if this isn't a conversion but instead a brand new standalone RMC. Although the announcement seems to imply the conversion, it also does only mention "a new ride in the Gwazi area" rather than Gwazi itself.

Kozmo

Roller Poster
a lot of the wood doesnt look as bad as most would think ....... but im not a contractor so idk but i do feel like its possible. i guess we will see

CrashCoaster

CF Legend
I bet RMC Gwazi will be called Twisted Tiger. I mean they did file more than one trademark, they will be in the same area of the park and they are only opening 1 year apart, so I kind of makes sense.

EDIT:- Here are some images taken from Busch Garden's webpage, confirming Tigris will have comfort collars (not a surprise).

ImageResizer.ashx

Dm56QI6XcAAW015.jpg

ImageResizer.ashx

ImageResizer.ashx

ImageResizer.ashx

ImageResizer.ashx

And yes, I am aware some of those photos have been shown but I'm sure no-one minds seeing them again.

Last edited:

Pear

Strata Poster
Yeah the color scheme is nice and should look good on the skyline.

Should be a great filler ride as we wait anxiously for RMC Gwazi.

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator
Holy :emoji_poop: it's actually happening. I thought there was no chance they'd RMC that rotting mess. It'll be interesting to see how they go about the conversion. I'm not sure how much of that structure will actually be able to be used in the new coaster. I think it's likely that we see a conversion similar to Storm Chaser's. The structure and ride length will probably be drastically cut down allowing for a shorter, single-circuit ride. Nonetheless, I can't wait to ride this thing and see how it turns out.

Wood is cheap, so if a lot of it is rotted it's not the end of the world. The real savings lie in re-using the footers, and those don't deteriorate nearly as quickly. If the footers are in good order they might as well burn the entire wooden structure, it's not vital to the savings they'll make anyway.

shawnoc

Mega Poster
Also having the main structure in place makes a great template to cut new wood.
I’m well excited for the prospect of a refurbed Gwazi, it’s such an imposing site as you walk into the park.

Tigres will be a good addition to the old tidal wave site, it will give the area some life and I’m sure they will theme it well.

tomahawk

Strata Poster
Wood is cheap, so if a lot of it is rotted it's not the end of the world. The real savings lie in re-using the footers, and those don't deteriorate nearly as quickly. If the footers are in good order they might as well burn the entire wooden structure, it's not vital to the savings they'll make anyway.
Word on the street is they were pulling wood from the interior of the structure and using it across the park/area when things needed to be repaired. I'll trust my source on this being legit, but I would expect to see a wrecking ball and a new structure.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

SilverArrow

Certified Ride Geek
Word on the street is they were pulling wood from the interior of the structure and using it across the park/area when things needed to be repaired. I'll trust my source on this being legit, but I would expect to see a wrecking ball and a new structure.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Just because they cut some bits out to theme things doesn't mean the entire structure is useless though. There is a heck of a lot of wood in that thing and they'll probably take a chunk out of it anyway to reprofile like they always do, especially if they make it one loop instead of two. Also if it was rotted to buggery I'm sure they wouldn't put it in the giftshop or use it for other stuff. Either way it will get a considerable amount of work done to it.

MakoMania

Mega Poster
They can't have just left Gwazi to rot with no consideration for the strength of the structure. They have to make sure it doesn't collapse on anybody!

Jarrett

Most Obnoxious Member 2016
So now that I’m home from work and can type all of this out...

Tigris- Should be a good fun addition. I love the colors, looks like there might be some kind of extra colorful pattern on the spine, typical SeaWorld. Don’t see the whining about the comfort collars, they’re fine on Tempesto and I barely noticed them.

RMC Gwazi- Y’all laugh but RMCing or wrecking this were literally the only options, and with it being such a miserable experience, I’m cool with it. #RMCitorWreckit has kind of just turned into my way of saying “it’s a bad ride.” Not necessarily the best business decision, there’s plenty of wooden trash the GP eats up like candy, but in this case it wasn’t one of them. “We’re turning it into something amazing” makes me think it isn’t going to be something completely different, but putting something special in its spot and removing it from the map beneath the teaser (KK’s maps showed Chaser before it was RMCed) it does make me think it’s going to be a bit more significant than just an I-box conversion. With the condition of the structure, maybe they just winch the wood down but rebuild a truss structure to bolt to the footers? Both of the newest wooden coasters in Florida use steel trusses, maybe something along those lines? This thing could really be the Storm Chaser of Florida!

Antinos

Slut for Spinners
Considering that RMC bolster every inch of the structure of each ride they convert, it's possible that they would have to do so much rebuilding and strengthening that it isn't worth salvaging from a time standpoint. But yes, a lot of wood has been pulled out of the ride.

Antinos

Slut for Spinners
Maybe a lot of wood has only been pulled out of parts of the ride that won't be used?
This would be the hope - I'd expect that they're pulling wood out of low areas that would be completely replaced anyway.

After 4 years of waiting so far, and a tease for 2020, I think the chaos that would ensue if it turns out Gwazi isn't being RMCed would be entertaining.
I would die of laughter. As far as I can tell, the park didn't ACTUALLY say that RMC was doing the refurbishment. I don't doubt that they're converting the ride, but it would be hysterical if the park had GCI come in and rebuild it.