What's new

Busch Gardens Tampa Future, including Scorpion's retirement (page 5)

Did Busch Gardens ever truly try to compete with Disney and Universal, though?
You don't see a shift in BGT the last 5 years, compared to even 10 years ago ? It's not whether they're competing or not, it's the acres of removed attractions, staffing issues, dropping quality in food. BGT and Seaworld set a standard they aren't meeting, possibly due to internal issues.

Busch Gardens is the regional thrill park in the area, even with Epic Universe and Islands Of Adventure having major thrill rides. For example in California, for most people who love casually visiting parks (not tourists but not necessarily enthusiasts), Disneyland, Universal, and even Knott's are not as popular as Six Flags because of the thrills. This is Busch Gardens niche, especially with the additions in the last few years.

So per this instagram post by busch gardens, Scorpion is set to close forever on 09/02, so sad to see such an icon go but it is interesting to see their caption posting about future thrills. What do we think this may be?

Interesting… Scorpion doesn’t take up a massive plot in its own right, but I’m admittedly not sure how much space there is around it.

In all honesty, I’m personally not massively sad to see it go on a personal level. I didn’t particularly rate it when I did it last year, and perhaps controversially, I don’t buy into the hype around Schwarzkopfs in general. It and the late Sand Serpent were easily the park’s weakest links coaster-wise on my last visit.

I look forward to seeing what replaces it! The park has been getting a lot of investment lately, which is great to see!

In before a certain coaster youtuber hits us with the "B&M Giga confirmed", my (probably bad) prediction is an RMC wild moose, similar-ish plot size and maybe a way for Busch Garden/Seaworld to attempt to reconcile with RMC after the gwazi fiasco?

Interesting… Scorpion doesn’t take up a massive plot in its own right, but I’m admittedly not sure how much space there is around it.

In all honesty, I’m personally not massively sad to see it go on a personal level. I didn’t particularly rate it when I did it last year, and perhaps controversially, I don’t buy into the hype around Schwarzkopfs in general. It and the late Sand Serpent were easily the park’s weakest links coaster-wise on my last visit.

I look forward to seeing what replaces it! The park has been getting a lot of investment lately, which is great to see!
In terms of space, I think the Stanley Falls Flume could make way potentially also or even the plot of land near Tigris with a section over the flume.

I'm gonna have to take some time to think about what could replace the ride and what's missing from the lineup before making a video.

1000074480.jpg

In terms of space, I think the Stanley Falls Flume could make way potentially also or even the plot of land near Tigris with a section over the flume.

I'm gonna have to take some time to think about what could replace the ride and what's missing from the lineup before making a video.

View attachment 33459
That's the trend now days with flumes reaching the end of their life span. Maintenance is getting more difficult and expensive (parts, etc.) as time goes by for both attractions and the park will get a pretty penny for Scorpion if they sell it to a German showman for their fair circuit like Dorney did with Laser.

Sad to see, I'm planning to visit the park later this year for the first time since 2016, and though I did do Scorpion last time my memories are hazy. It's a shame to see another Schwarzkopf potentially biting the dust, but even more so because it was one of the most "accessible" ones, being permanently installed in such a major park. I can imagine it was a significant coaster for many people, and 10 days notice is outrageously short.

Still, it's hard to deny it looked out of place at a park of this quality, and I'm struggling to think of anything else I'd rather see ripped out - if the next development being on this site keeps Kumba safe for a bit longer, then it's a necessary sacrifice. Looking forward to the crazy predictions and following what comes next!

Can't see this being sold to a showman or another park I'm afraid.
It must be one of the most consistently run Schwartzkopf in history as it's been running basically year round for 46 years. (Which is actually very impressive) And all the wear and tear that's comes with that will have added up.

I doubt the park would be giving such short notice in removing it if something hadn't happened to hurry them along, wether it's a failed inspection or high costs of getting something important imminently replaced I suspect the ride is not long for this world.

Unfortunate and ill be sad to see it go (it's the earliest coaster I rode with an inversion still standing) but I feel it's time has been coming for a while.

Tbh I'm not bothered as I thought they had already got rid of it for some reason 😂 Not been to the park since 2011 but it didn't stand out amongst the other rides they have at the park. Can understand people being sad about it from a nostalgic point of view though.

That's the trend now days with flumes reaching the end of their life span. Maintenance is getting more difficult and expensive (parts, etc.) as time goes by for both attractions and the park will get a pretty penny for Scorpion if they sell it to a German showman for their fair circuit like Dorney did with Laser.
Absolutely mate. I could genuinely see both sites used.

But it's also worth noting that back in 2023, we heard about Project Halcyon, a 70,000 sqft building. So maybe this will be the site for Project Halcyon... A flying theatre or some kind of major dark ride or dark coaster experience (aka a bigger DarKoaster), since DarKoaster was I think about 40,000 sqft (complete guess).

Sad to see this go, but not entirely surprised given its age. Feels like it's part of a dying breed of smaller coasters with one or two inversions that can introduce kids to bigger rides whilst breaking the "upside down" taboo. Its role in the park reminds me of AT's corkscrew in its final years - not the biggest coaster, but a stepping stone attraction which rarely pulled a queue that kids (like me!) rode over and over again until they were ready for the big guns. I suppose Phoenix rising partly fills this hole now, which is probably partly why Scorpion's closing.

Echoing previous comments, there's no chance of a future on the travelling fair circuit unfortunately. Out of the three Silverarrow units Schwarzkopf produced, Scorpion was the only one that wasn't designed to be transportable according to RCDB. So unless it's possible to convert the ride, it'll be heading either to another permanent park or the scrapheap.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

I doubt the park would be giving such short notice in removing it if something hadn't happened to hurry them along, wether it's a failed inspection or high costs of getting something important imminently replaced I suspect the ride is not long for this world.
If it failed inspection, they probably wouldn't be allowed to run it for another week. High costs of getting something important replaced is more likely. As in, they've replaced a few links in the chain lift and found that the box of spare links is now empty, and the manufacturer went bust in 2007 or something to that effect.

If it failed inspection, they probably wouldn't be allowed to run it for another week. High costs of getting something important replaced is more likely. As in, they've replaced a few links in the chain lift and found that the box of spare links is now empty, and the manufacturer went bust in 2007 or something to that effect.
I worded that very poorly. What I meant was an upcoming inspection they believe they will fail without some remedial work. Like an upcoming MOT you know your car won't pass 🤣