What's new

Bungle in the Jungle - Legoland loses a ride.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Bungle in the Jungle - Legoland loses a ride.

After two seasons of a silly additional cover and poor reliability, Legoland have now officially removed the Jungle Coaster at Legoland Windsor.

Noise complaints mean that in 2008, Legoland had to add a plexi-glass cover to their Mack Mouse Coaster. The added weight and complexity added not only downtime, but a fairly horrid ride experience.

While it's sad to see the coaster go, it's not sad to see the loss of the multi-hour queues and massive amounts of disappointment this addition caused.

Legoland have announced a whole new Pirate themed area for the 2010 season.

Source - Completely Legoland Windsor

Mountain Madman

Mega Poster
Sorry to hear that it's being removed, although with it being neutered a few years ago it's not unexpected.

I never fully understood why the covers were added; what were the exact complaints?

Inverse

Hyper Poster
Big shame. It was good before the modifications! I wonder if the pirate land will get a coaster maybe for 2011? It's further away from the houses than Jungle was.

Ollie

CF Legend
Yay. Now that ****e is gone they can get something decent. Although I've heard that's where they're going to build the Lego hotel.
It was ridiculous though. It had long queues when it opened and then they went and put the crappy plastic tops on them and then said you can only ride if you booked a ticket in advance. The ride was rubbish after the first drop anyway.

ciallkennett

Strata Poster
I heard the rumours, a tad sad it's true as I didn't manage to nab that credit :(

From the news that went with the rumour, I doubt there will be a coaster replacement. In fact, isn't that area where the planned hotel shall be?

Inverse

Hyper Poster
^ Maybe, but a coaster replacement in that area would be pointless as the screams would cause the original complaints to rise again. I think Legoland need to get a new coaster but they've got to find room for it further away. The new pirate land is a fairly decent candidate, IMO.

nadroJ

CF Legend
Good. Got the credit, don't care that it's going. Worst. Coaster. Ever. And I mean that with all my heart.

New pirate area? But don't they have a pirate area where the log flume is? Or is it just a lot closer to the area where the Jungle Coaster was than I remember?

Inverse

Hyper Poster
^Yeah, they do already have some Piratey stuff. It was called the Wild Woods I think, this "new" area is basically a touch up on the flume and a new pirate boat. So we can consider it an expansion, I guess.

Google Map

On the google map above you can see the Jungle Coaster on the extreme NE corner of the park. Near the estate to the north. Pirate Falls and the new Pirate Land will be at the very southern tip of the park, more than twice as far away from the houses. I think they'll look to put any new noisy rides down there in Pirate Land near the castle or beyond, depending on the land they own.

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
I hate seeing coasters go but seeing as I've only bothered to ride it once in the four visits I've had to the park, I'm not overly fussed.

Replace it with a mega-lite please Mr Legoladn Windsor, sir! Thanks.

Martyn H

Hyper Poster
nadroJ said:
Good. Got the credit, don't care that it's going. Worst. Coaster. Ever. And I mean that with all my heart.
Oh my God, so true :p

I don't usually like to see coasters removed, however it was a pile of ****. It was moderately rough and offered literally no experience (Unless you count picking the foam inside or hitting your face on the side). Just glad I got the credit last year, before it was removed :)

10WaTT

Hyper Poster
Mountain Madman said:
I never fully understood why the covers were added; what were the exact complaints?

Noise complaints, hence the soundproof box on top of the nice little jungle car.

I rode it without the cover so I quite liked it for such a park, but at the same time its nice to see it going. The queue was horrible, it was a really hot day and no shelter for a few hours just to ride the Jungle Coaster seemed a little crazy.

Tomatron

Giga Poster
Glad I went on it before they put in the stupid plexi-glass.

Now if only "Bungle in the Jungle" was a ride.
rainbow_bungle_1024.jpg

Ingested Banjo

Mega Poster
D'aw, this was the coaster that got me into coasters, like, before riding it I was terrified of anything but the dragon's apprentice, and now I've been on about 55 of them...

I thought it was actually a pretty nice ride before the covers went on. Fairly smooth for a wild mouse, and with an extra first drop. I don't remember the queues being that long anyway - the times I went on it, the queues were about 30 mins max, whereas the big dragon could be up to an hour with its silly indoor section.

Besides, it's not like there's too many rides to fit into a day at legoland.

it was a really hot day and no shelter for a few hours just to ride the Jungle Coaster seemed a little crazy.

You just count yourself lucky. The only time I rode it with the cover was on a scorching day. So humid in there, you could actually believe you were in the jungle.

Mushroom

Goon of the Year
No great loss, went on it with the box back in 2008:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0tbHHJFCV3Q[/youtube]

Glad that tainted **** of a Mack coaster has gone. Mack's are awesome, but not this one!

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kbpNqpyrv9o[/youtube]

Nic

Strata Poster
^^ & ^ heheheehehehe!

Unfortunately, I never went on it without the box. I'm not that sad to see it go, tbh. Only problem is, what's going to happen to all the people that would've spent half their day queueing for it? Where are they going to go? LegoLand is busy enough with long enough queues as it is, without adding to the problem. Hmmmmm.

Oh, and considering the reasons that they got rid of this in the first place, I can't see them getting another one. At least, not down there... and where else would they put it?

What's going to happen to the coaster? Move to another LL park? Sell it on?

Inverse

Hyper Poster
^All other Legolands have a version of it already, but it could be quite an attractive buy for some places, if they get new cars for it.