I think British food is...

• bland

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • grand

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Tomatron

Giga Poster
French food isn't that fantastic either. Have you ever eaten a horse?

I find Italian and Oriental foods to be my favourites.

The British have done well with what they've got. After all, we don't have the best climate to grow tropical stuff.

And yes, it's a lot better than American food. Except for Subway.

Jake

Strata Poster
I love the german sausages, they have so many different types they fill a shop JUST for sausages!

French chips suck!

mrclam

Giga Poster
HUWGE difference between french fries and chips... well okay.. maybe not .. but differnce between americun/mcdonalds/bugger king idea of reconstituted potatoes and chip..

Anyhows a history (stolen from a website i found)

Fish and chips have separately been eaten for many years ? though the potato was not introduced to Europe until the 17th century. The originally Sephardi dish Pescado frito, or deep-fried fish, came to the Netherlands and England with the Spanish and Portuguese Jews in the 17th and 18th centuries. The dish became popular in more widespread circles in London and the south-east in the middle of the 19th century (Charles Dickens mentions a "fried fish warehouse" in Oliver Twist) whilst in the north of England a trade in deep-fried "chipped" potatoes developed. It is unclear when and where these two trades were merged to become the fish and chip shop industry we know today. The first combined fish and chip shop was probably the one opened in London by Joseph Malin in 1860.

During World War II, fish and chips were one of the few foods that were not rationed in the UK.

A

Anonymous

British food is pure comfort food. I love a Sunday breakfast and dinner, and Xmas dinner rules. Apple pie and custard drool. Victoria Sponge cake lush. Fish and Chips and the sea front on a rainy summers day. Scones with butter double cream and strawberries. Cornish dairy icecream. Need I say more.

FastAndFurious

Mega Poster
I often eat fish or chips but not fish and chips in the same time. Bean in tomato is fine as well as roast beef. I can't stand the taste of pudding.

A

Anonymous

How can no body have mentioned our lovly pies yet? We rule when it comes to pies. So the French can sod off.

mrclam

Giga Poster
I like sprouts.. Sprouts are lovely...

And yorkshire puds too!

Oh, and roast potatoes (they have to be crispy tho'!)

A

Anonymous

British food is so good. I don't understand how people can't like it. A great sunday roast, a good bit of roast meat, crisp roast potatoes and parsnips, yorkshire pudding and some veg all coated in a gorgeous rich gravy. And then there is yorkshire fish and chips cooked in beef dripping (rather than that southern oil). Oh and cumberland sausauge, toad in the hole, steak and kidney pie, beef and ale pie, cornish pasties.

And then in the sweet stuff you have cream teas, apple pie, bakewell tart, trifle, treacle tart, the list goes on.

Oh and before I end don't forget frances 'best' pudding creme brulee was infact invented in england at trinity college cambridge (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talk:Cr%C3 ... BBl%C3%A9e).