What's new

Brean PTR

Brookes

Giga Poster
I recently got back from a holiday in Devon, before which we spent a couple of days near Burnham-on-Sea. As it was close, my cousin and I, along with our grandparents, decided to go to Brean Leisure Park.

P8260465.jpg

After much deliberation, the decision was made to just buy some tokens, and then get more if we needed some, as the £19.99 price for a wristband running from only 11am until 5pm seemed an absolute rip off.

P8260444.jpg

First up was Astro Storm, the relocated ride from PBB. It was walk on, and we were initially impressed by the theming in the station and the lift hill. The ride itself was pretty good. I’m not a massive fan of these dark rides but this was fun and quite a lot of effort had obviously been put in!

P8260454.jpg

Next up was Shockwave which was also walk on. The ride op, as Jordan pointed out in her trip report, couldn’t care less at all and didn’t even bother having our tokens off us. Free ride, thanks!

P8260455.jpg

P8260452.jpg

P8260450.jpg

We sat in the second car and I actually thought it was pretty decent. Good bit of air at the start of the drops, though you’d only get this in the second car. Loop was quite forceful and the ride was mostly smooth, though a little bumpy in places, better than it looks anyway!

P8260447.jpg

P8260445.jpg

After this we headed off to Magic Mouse, which is your standard Wild Mouse. I actually quite enjoy these rides (obviously haven’t ridden enough of them yet!) and our car spun loads which made it even better. My seatbelt was a bit too tight though which was rather annoying, especially when we got flung around corners later on in the ride.

P8260457.jpg

P8260456.jpg

P8260453.jpg

P8260446.jpg

My grandparents and cousin really wanted to go on the ghost train, Terror Castle, so we did that next. I was expecting something on par with the one at PBB, but it was horrible! Yet it is absolutely brilliant at the same time. It is definitely a unique ride.

P8260459.jpg

We were hungry by now and it started to look a bit grim, so we headed off for dinner. We went out of the park itself, “Fun City”, and went into Subway, which is randomly owned by Brean Leisure Park as well. It started to rain as we sat down which was pretty lucky so, after it stopped raining, we headed back into the park.

With only so many tokens left and the weather looking bad, we decided on one more ride which we both wanted to do, Wipeout. I really like KMG afterburners and this one looked crazy with its long cycle and ridiculous spinning and it didn’t disappoint. Probably the best ride there IMO, really fun and forceful.

P8260460.jpg

P8260462.jpg

P8260463.jpg

We were going to do the Log Flume and the last coaster, but the weather didn’t look good and the nearest token booth was closed while another had a long queue, plus both rides were closed at this point, so we headed off back.

Brean is a random little park. The rides open and close at different times for dinner, the ride ops couldn’t care less about anything and the place is a major rip off. Yet it has that tacky, seaside amusement park feel about it and it’s worth a visit if you’re in the area, especially seeing as everything was walk on when we were there. However, unless you’re willing to re-ride, you’ll only be entertained for a couple of hours.

Ride count:

Astro Storm x1
Shockwave x1
Magic Mouse x1
Terror Castle x1
Wipeout x1

Martyn B

CF Legend
Brean is the only park I know of that likes to advertise how unpopular it is, by saying "no queues" all over their website!

Charge normal **** prices and you might just get some queues!

The Grape Wizard

Hyper Poster
Terror Castle is little hidden gem, or a hidden horror. I was expecting much from it but it's really quite disturbing. Thorpe take not :lol: better than saw :wink: .

Shockwave wasn't nearly as rough as I expected and was entertaining. Astrostorm is in my opinion a nice fun ride, although it does start off like X/: No way out, as on both rides when going up the lift with all the lights I was intrigued, after the first drop however the ride soon goes downhill.

As for Brean itself, it's ok for what it is, grotty in places. Although i must say the water in the log flume was some of the cleanest I've ever seen!

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Brean is an odd place, but the area around it is a massively popular holiday destination resort. I think the park is really geared towards servicing those holiday makers rather than anyone travelling there specifically. £20 to send the kids "to the fair" for the day to get them out of your hair isn't bad. It's also why it's linked to all the odd pubs/food/club places around the area, it's really there to service the local caravan sites.

Terror Castle... It's special in that they didn't at any point step back and think "kids may ride this". They completely missed that step, which most places adhere to vehemently. A Ghost train should be "fun" kind of thing and Terror Castle is 100% a horror attraction.

The thing is, it's all off the shelf stuff. I seem to remember the "scenes" they have can be imported by anyone from a place in the US. The same place has the zombie models and stuff used in Duel. So it's all easily obtainable off-the-shelf stuff; they've not made any effort beyond "let's make it gruesome". Yet they've picked the most hideous bits possible. It's a real odd one for me, but I enjoyed it and loved the fact they'd gone so all out in their choices.

Martyn B

CF Legend
^ Scenes? I just remember horrible things literally jumping and screaming in your face, nothing different to any other tacky seaside Ghost Train, except for things just screamed quite loud, quite fast, and quite often. I struggled for air in there I tell ya!

Brookes

Giga Poster
Another thing to note, I can only assume Magic Mouse was e-stopped and there were 2 people in a car stuck on one of the early brake runs. A mechanic walked up the lift hill and soon after the pair started wiggling around in the car to try and get it moving, assumingly under the mechanic's instruction. I found it rather strange that the brake run wasn't inclined enough for the ride to re-start only under gravity.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
I have pictures of ride ops pushing the Pinfari off the brake run at the top too to get it around the track :lol: