What's new

Brand Advertisements on Ride

nadroJ

CF Legend
Basically, I just saw this on Facebook:
http://www.facebook.com/media/set/fbx/?set=a.216107005081878.71234.142430569116189

For anyone who can't see that, it's an album on photos showing the new Fanta sponsorship on Oblivion. I think I literally moaned out loud when I saw it. I understand that this sort of thing helps parks with money and things but it never looks good and utterly RUINS the theme/atmosphere of a ride.

I've always found Oblivion very intimidating, something to be taken seriously and something that was going to scare the crap out of me. Now it's been dashed with silly and light-hearted Fanta advertisements and I just can't take it seriously anymore =[

See also: Tidal Wave (Original Source/Dr Pepper), Dragon Falls (some lolly or something), Bubbleworks (The dreadful Imperial Leather) and there are probably many more I can name.

These advertisements just ruin the whole feel of the ride and it seems like all the effort the parks put into their theming ends up pointless.

So yeah, little rant over. Anyone else agree/disagree?

Seriously hideous. Eugh! So much for winning the dive machine "atmosphere" prize.

sent from my bum via a fancy phone.

tks said:
They could have at least gone with Fanta Lemon... :(
No, Fruit Twist. :wink:

Still, this has completely ruined the atmosphere of Oblivion, and the X Sector.
What I hated was the quote on the sign , "More Fanta, Less serious" Sums it up in one line.
:x

Woah when did this happen? I was only there last week and I'm pretty sure it wasn't there then. And it looks terrible, really takes away the intimidating nature of Oblivion and the area as a whole.

I remember last year going to SFDK and SFMM and if I remember correctly, Kong (SFDK) and Viper (SFMM) both had advertising on the trains and it just looks woeful.

That's freaking AWFUL.

The original source on Tidal Wave looks fine IMO, that's just a few crates on a bright coloured ride ANYWAY, this is just hideous.

This is so awful. Like, so, so awful. I'm so glad I probably won't BOTHER with Alton this year haha.

Urgh. That is absolutely vile.

Have Alton/Merlin NO common sense... :(

Yeah,it is a shame that they've lowered themselves to this level.It's completely ruined the look,and made it look very tacky.

Obviously earning extra money is all that matters.

The sponsorship is really getting out of hand now. They've plastered signs on the tunnel wall and bay gates saying " tummy bubbling fun".

Someone's taking the ****

That is horrific. Sometimes sponsorship actually fits with the themeing, like with Tidal Wave, but this makes me quite irritated.

I don't mind when it's actually not plastered everywhere, but when it's like what Six Flags do, I HATE IT. It's just vile and completely wrecks the aesthetics of the coaster!

El Toro has fallen victim to advertisements. No where near at terrible at Oblivion, but they have an entire train covered with Stride gum advertisements.

Thats nasty! Some advertising is ok, and when it fits in with the theme.... thinking back to the burnt on skips logos on Dragons Fury... tasteful and small!

I think if subtle enough its fine... A La 'Walls' on the Lost River Ride...

Flamingo29.JPG

However, question is... how many of you knew Walls sponsored the Lost River Ride at Flamingo Land?? Maybe because the advertising was *too* subtle?

However, I think its just an opinion of change (I mean look at these forums now ;) )... Because I personally think Pepsi Max Big One with the huge Pepsi can before the lift hill is
5censored.gif
awesome/funny.... however if it was just called Big One without the can for YEARS and then that happened, I would be upset at this tragedy.

Ha what a joke! I can usually tolerate sponsorship on the ride because half the time it's just slapped on an unthemed Six Flags ride or something, but Oblivion has SUCH a good atmosphere and is so daunting when you walk into the X-Sector, and now that it's coated with tacky, bright advertisements, it's not as scary anymore. I reckon it won't ruin the actual ride (obviously) but people will be far less intimidated and it might ruin the general mood that builds up to the ride.

Another bad one was the advertising on El Toro's trains a few years back for Stride, when they wrapped them in pink, haha.