What's new

Blackpool Pleasure Beach | Icon | Mack Multi-Launch

Sandman

Giga Poster
Sure, Helix isn't far, but you can't deny Icon has hype. Whether it's brilliant or not remains to be seen, but this project has captured the imaginations of most UK enthusiasts!

Lofty

CF Legend
Soon as more updates come from the 'bottom' area near the Go Karts, it'll spice it up again. We've seen the majority of track work completed now and just need the final bits.

witchfinder

Giga Poster
My appetite for this topic is somewhat subdued now. Seems to have lost its edge for some reason.
I kind of agree. I'm sure this will be a great coaster, but maybe not that great. I mean, it's not that tall, not that fast and doesn't have that many inversions. I haven't ridden any Mack coasters of note yet, but this one just seems like it might be a bit 'middle of the road' in all aspects. I hope it will prove me wrong though!

MakoMania

Mega Poster
I kind of agree. I'm sure this will be a great coaster, but maybe not that great. I mean, it's not that tall, not that fast and doesn't have that many inversions. I haven't ridden any Mack coasters of note yet, but this one just seems like it might be a bit 'middle of the road' in all aspects. I hope it will prove me wrong though!
Nemesis isn't tall, it isn't that fast and it only has 4 inversions yet Walter Bolliger still considers it the best B&M invert.

Lofty

CF Legend
Although not Mack, Taron isn't that tall, and doesn't have any inversions, yet is closely regarded as one of the best coasters on earth? In this day and age, tall + fast +inversions = good coaster, isn't always correct. Helix isn't that tall, all that fast, and has inversions, but is a great coaster, also made by Mack. I think you're being pessimistic because the second half of the coaster looks incredibly strong, perhaps even stronger than either of Helix's halves as an element after element after element combo.

Sandman

Giga Poster
Have to agree with Lofty's point there; the second half looks better than areas of Helix in my opinion. The pacing looks great, almost Taron-esque. Also, even if this was just a "really good" coaster, by UK standard, it will technically be world class ;)

CrashCoaster

CF Legend
There is no way that this will be bad. Even if it is very rattly, airtimeless or boring (I hope it'll have none of these), it'll still be better than the blue coaster next to it.

witchfinder

Giga Poster
Nemesis isn't tall, it isn't that fast and it only has 4 inversions yet Walter Bolliger still considers it the best B&M invert.
As do I :)
I just think the lack of one defining wow factor has reduced my excitement for this a bit. It's mainly the speed - Taron's two launches are phenomenal and knowing that this will be quite a bit slower and also lack the amazing theming, I don't see it living up to those high standards.
Again, as I said, I'm sure this will be a great ride but right now I'm not massively excited about it. I hope it does live up to expectations and proves that a coaster can be top class without having some kind of record, as I think that's important for the UK industry in future.

DelPiero

Strata Poster
I still think the first half will be a bit of a snoozefest, the 2nd half will be better, but I still think it looks tame compared to Helix.
Plus we all know that Mack's launches are, lets face it, poor. Compared to Intamin's anyway.
That said, it will still be the best coaster at Blackpool, and should be one of the best creds in the country.

Obviously I'd love to be proved wrong but there is a direct comparison to both Helix and Taron on this install and it's hard to get really excited about something which looks sub par based on concept art/povs.

MakoMania

Mega Poster
I really don't understand the notion that this looks sub par. The first half looks good and the second half looks fantastic, just as good as Helix or Taron look without personally having ridden either.

DelPiero

Strata Poster
I really don't understand the notion that this looks sub par. The first half looks good and the second half looks fantastic, just as good as Helix or Taron look without personally having ridden either.
I disagree, the first half seems to lack airtime and directional changes, this combined with the slow launch speed could be a real low point of the ride. I'm fully expecting the 2nd half to be a lot lot better though. I just don't think the whole package will be as good as Helix or any of it be as mental as Taron.
I've ridden both at numerous points throughout the day, both are very good early on but become top 10 worthy at night. I can't even see a night ride on Icon breaking my top 10 currently.
Again, I want to be wrong, but that first half could either suck, or be just decent.

balrog

Mega Poster
You made me rewatch the animated POV, I actually don't think it looks any less intense than Taron. The slow launch speed might change than, I reckon, but I wouldn't bet on any side as of now.

DelPiero

Strata Poster
You made me rewatch the animated POV, I actually don't think it looks any less intense than Taron. The slow launch speed might change than, I reckon, but I wouldn't bet on any side as of now.
Yep, It's the slower launch speed that's making me think this. The POV was before they announced the reduction in speed I think. If it runs at the speed of the POV it's got a chance but why give a lower speed if it's a red herring?!
I do love the look of that 2nd half though.

Mysterious Sue

Strata Poster
Mack launches compared to Intamin launches. It's never going to be as intense. (Plus, zero theming).

Helix is a fairer comparison, albeit minus the fabulous hillside location.
Unless they pull something incredible out of the bag, it's fair to expect this to be less intense/fast/etc. than either Taron or Helix. That's not to say it's going to be a bad ride.
The one gimmick Icon has, that Helix doesn't, is the number of near misses. Those are going to make or break this coaster by giving it an added 'sensation of speed'.