What's new

Blackpool Pleasure Beach | Icon | Mack Multi-Launch

Lofty

CF Legend
Helix is great... in the evening. Day rides are just somewhat 'good', nothing outstanding. Helix also has one of the worst inversions I've encountered. The final roll is absolutely disgusting and feels really unnatural - I'm just hoping that Icon's doesn't feel the same.

Smithy

Strata Poster
Ironically enough that worst ride I had was at the end of the day, but then I think it had burnt through a wheel or something because the train was taken off not long after and it was rough as **** too.

Just re-watched a POV to make sure I was remembering it right, think you're being harsh on it being one of the worst inversions but I can see where you're coming from, I do remember it being a bit jerky. Although it's now made me desperate to go back because that music, that ****ing airtime hill <3

Georgie-M

Mega Poster
yeah, Helix's final inversion was something I really had to brace myself for during the end of my two days there. Funnily enough, I remember being disappointed when Icon's layout was announced and it lacked the signature Mack final inversion, but now I think that might be for the better and at least it will mean the Mack launchers aren't all feeling too similar and repeating the same trick at the end to varying levels of success.

As for how I feel about the ride, I adore Helix so I'm super happy to see this coaster type come to Blighty but it's a long journey for me to Blackpool, with Helix looking to be the better ride and only a short plane trip away. That said, having a big coaster like this with lap bars.. and inversions.. on the same ride.. in the UK? Might help the public warm to the idea so we get more rides like it in the future. It could be just what the UK coaster industry needs.. assuming another UK park can be bothered to get a new thrill coaster in this day and age now the company with a huge monopoly is cutting budgets left right and centre.

Lofty

CF Legend
Ironically enough that worst ride I had was at the end of the day, but then I think it had burnt through a wheel or something because the train was taken off not long after and it was rough as :emoji_zipper_mouth: too.

Just re-watched a POV to make sure I was remembering it right, think you're being harsh on it being one of the worst inversions but I can see where you're coming from, I do remember it being a bit jerky. Although it's now made me desperate to go back because that music, that :emoji_zipper_mouth:ing airtime hill <3
I really am not being harsh though - in my opinion it is one of the worst inversions I've ever done. It's awkward, uncomfortable and just has loads of hangtime (and I detest hangtime).

DelPiero

Strata Poster
I really am not being harsh though - in my opinion it is one of the worst inversions I've ever done. It's awkward, uncomfortable and just has loads of hangtime (and I detest hangtime).
Yep, too hangy, not enough whip through because it doesnt generate any speed through. It's no better than Anubis' bleh hang roll.

Chris Brown

Mr CoasterForce 2016
Ive re watched the POV and it actually seems significantly faster than what i remember it to be, the turns look much snappier and the airtime looks a bit better. One thing i've also noticed (after riding star trek at MP Germany) is that judging speed is pretty pointless. Star Trek looks PAINFULLY slow off-ride but doesn't ride that way at all, also has some excellent surprise airtime moments and whip.

One thing that would be nice would be some Taronesqe head choppers in the twisty turns, im not sure how densely packed the twisty section will be with supports but i hope you do get some interaction with nearby stuffs. Bar the known interaction points like over by steeplechase.

Lofty

CF Legend
24824348_1165558893604097_881148173_n.jpg

24824616_1165558896937430_152029501_n.jpg

Get in me.

Temleh

Mega Poster
I've just spotted the scaffolding on Infusion's 3/4 helix (at first I thought it was on the brake run but look closely and you can see it is on the turn). I wonder if it will be getting the repaint it badly needs in time for Icon's opening day?

Will

Strata Poster
Hoping I'm wrong, because as a general rule, I'm very excited about this project - but that sequence of corners we've just seen does not look Will-friendly.

Don't see it matching Helix though.

Sandman

Giga Poster
One thing that would be nice would be some Taronesqe head choppers in the twisty turns, im not sure how densely packed the twisty section will be with supports but i hope you do get some interaction with nearby stuffs. Bar the known interaction points like over by steeplechase.

The section after the immelmann looks more Taronesque than Helix in my opinion, hopefully it's a nicely paced moment.

Sandman

Giga Poster
Hoping I'm wrong, because as a general rule, I'm very excited about this project - but that sequence of corners we've just seen does not look Will-friendly.

Don't see it matching Helix though.

Shame they aren't to your taste, luckily that's the very last moment of the ride, so shouldn't impact the preceding layout.

Jamesss

Hyper Poster
I really liked the colour scheme on paper but admittedly it does look a bit drab against the grey Blackpool sky. Maybe it will look better on a sunny day.

The interactions with the other coasters are going to be awesome though. I am looking forward to seeing the bit around Steeplechase.