What's new

Biggest White Elephants?

This is kinda like the "Biggest Disappointment" topic, but I'll answer again.

Kentucky Rumbler! I heard bombb things about it yet it just lacked pretty much anything fantastic, besides a good first drop.

Jake

Strata Poster
El Toro.

Sure, the *three* moments of airtime (and the drop) are great, but a ride of it's scale should have more moments of airtime than that. It sorta died towards the end, too.

Emmett

Giga Poster
spike1911 said:
I think the Ultimate could be considered a white elephant as even though its long, it doesnt appear to have the thrill factor according to many reviews. Perhaps because of what happened while under construction...

No thrill factor....its probably the best coaster in the UK and the last one that would come to mind when trying to pick out a white elephant.

Screaming Coasters

Strata Poster
Dave said:
Furius Baco. Just eurgh.
So's your head. Furius Baco is herrrmazing!!!

I'd have to say Dragon Khan. It's far too over hyped for what it is. It's inversion after inversion after inversion. There no flair to the coaster, it just... goes...

caffeine_demon

Strata Poster
Screaming Coasters said:
Dave said:
Furius Baco. Just eurgh.

I'd have to say Dragon Khan. It's far too over hyped for what it is. It's inversion after inversion after inversion. There no flair to the coaster, it just... goes...

I didn't like either of those 2 tbh!

Kebab

Giga Poster
Screaming Coasters said:
Dave said:
Furius Baco. Just eurgh.

You can't find anything else like Furius Baco, but there are plenty of Dragon Khan's about. They're both superb coasters, but the only white elephant at that park really is Stampida, I was expecting promising results but all I gained was an experience that I loathe, and would never come back.

Ben

CF Legend
Kebab said:
You can't find anything else like Furius Baco, but there are plenty of Dragon Khan's about.

Is there...?

One, possible, in Europe I can think of! And trust me, a LOT of the US large B&Ms don't come CLOSE. I've never ridden another B&M looper that comes close actually, so, I'm not sure I agree with that...

Mackem Lad

Mega Poster
spike1911 said:
well yes, i got a little confused. But The Ultimate was dangerously close to not even working and they ended up having to get British rail in and add some random straight track to make it even run all the way round

British Rail were brought in because Big Country Motioneering were a bit rubbish and bankrupting the owner in the process.

It was never a case of The Ultimate almost never opening, Robert Staveley just lost patience with them.

How The Ultimate can be described as a white elephant is beyond me considering it's LWV's most popular ride.

White elephant is a term to describe something that isn't used - kinda like the Millennium Dome before O2 popped along.

Kebab

Giga Poster
Ben said:
Kebab said:
You can't find anything else like Furius Baco, but there are plenty of Dragon Khan's about.

Is there...?

One, possible, in Europe I can think of! And trust me, a LOT of the US large B&Ms don't come CLOSE. I've never ridden another B&M looper that comes close actually, so, I'm not sure I agree with that...

I see what you're saying but I don't think you quite caught what I meant. Furius Baco is unique, most elements of Baco are unique (Trains, theme, inline etc), however I don't find it as "enjoyable", as the likes of Dragon Khan. The thing about Dragon Khan is that it lacks uniqueness, so if someone has been on plenty of B&M's with the similar inversion-inversion layout, then they may feel as if they've done it before and be rather disappointed due to the hype. Nothing against Khan of course, as it is the BEST B&M looper out there in my opinion, and along with Kumba it's quite definately the most powerful.

It just comes to show, that B&M truly shone when they began, as the majority of their recent coasters are very samey, and lacking the force that the elder loopers had (bar inverts).

wash

Mega Poster
Montu. It has an incredible reputation, but it just didn't seem very forceful or exciting to me compared to other B&M loopers. It's not that it isn't a very good ride, it just isn't as amazing as everyone says.

Ormerod

Hyper Poster
As much as I like it, Black Mamba is a white elephant to me. It is to this day hyped so much so, that you can only be dissapointed when you ride it.

I just don't think it's up to Nemesis standard, due to the fact it begins to just constantly wind and turn, you get bored of it eventually.

PMBO definately another white elephant. It was deemed as a monster of a coaster years ago, and when I finally got into coasters and bottled myself to get on it, it bored me to death.