What's new

Biggest White Elephants?

A

Anonymous

Which rides would you consider to be the biggest white elephants? I.e. built with hype and then didnt live up to expectation or didnt work at all.

I think the Ultimate could be considered a white elephant as eventhough its long, it doesnt appear to have the thrill factor according to many reviews. Perhaps because of what happened while under construction...

Opinions?

ciallkennett

Strata Poster
Air - Total ****e and billed as an amazing experience, my arse.

Rita - Not as good as it could have been.

Saw - Total utter disappointment. 'Scariest ride ever', erm, no.

A

Anonymous

I really liked air. Its just a great smooth experience... id consider it more of a family ride....

A-Kid

Giga Poster
Saw: THEN The Ride.

The hype was far too much for what we actually got...

Rita.

Its, well ...Ritard.

ciallkennett

Strata Poster
^^ I'd consider family rides rides which don't have a height restriction of 140cm xD It's not a family ride, Alton bills it as one of their 'Big Rides'.

Besides, the ride was billed as basically, 'The closest thing to flying without flying', which it is not, in my opinion.

The restraints are uncomfortable, you feel like you're doing nothing and just hanging, and you get a good body bashing at some points.

So for me, it was not as good experience as it has been billed, therefore, it's a white elephant.

Rush

Giga Poster
I say Nemesis as well.

spike1911 said:
Nemesis? How and why?

It did not live up to my expectations in the slightest. I have ridden it only 4 times but I found it to be weak on all four apart from the main 'drop' and zero-g roll. It's horribly rough, I dislike the layout, the pacing is horrible. What is the point in building up the speed, only to have it wasted on one of those stupid stall turns. Yes, it has good landscaping but in my opinion it doesn't add to the experience for me.

It's rubbish and really isn't all the hype it gets. It's my least favourite B&M Invert.

Kumali, Dueling Dragons, Ghostrider, Stealth and Hollywood's Revenge of the Mummy are other 'white elephants'.

A

Anonymous

I wouldnt consider Kumali a white elephant just simply because it was never really hyped... it just does what it says on the tin...

Rush

Giga Poster
It was described 'as smooth as a baby bottom' and one of the best SLC's out there.

It was neither, Infusion is better.

A

Anonymous

WEll, really i wanted this thread to be about rides that didnt actually work at all really

A

Anonymous

no i mean literally built, and either didnt operate or closed after 6 months or something stupid

A

Anonymous

well yes, i got a little confused. But The Ultimate was dangerously close to not even working and they ended up having to get British rail in and add some random straight track to make it even run all the way round