What's new

Big One Re-Tracking @Pleasure Beach

CrashCoaster

CF Legend
I'm happy to report that the Big One is recieving a partial re-track this off season, with much of the return section seeing track replacement:-

Video by Pleasure Beach Experience.

EDIT:- Seems like this is just a relatively small re-track, with just a few valleys and rough patches being smoothed out but at least it's better than nothing!

Last edited:

Matt N

CF Legend
Should improve the ride for sure! If they smooth out some of the ride's rougher portions, especially towards the end of the ride, then I think the Big One could rate substantially higher for me than it presently does!

witchfinder

Hyper Poster
Well it definitely needs it but this does seem like a perfect real-world example of turd-polishing really! ?

Any idea who's manufacturing the replacement track?

CrashCoaster

CF Legend
Apparently only that valley is being re-tracked this year, but more track will also be replaced in the coming off seasons, starting with the roughest bits.

Peet

Giga Poster
The real question is what are they going to do with the old bits? Previous uses include the facades for Valhalla and the Southport River Caves, and the entrance signs for Traumatizer and Spin Doctor.

rob666

Hyper Poster
It isn't retracking, it is track replacement.
Small sections of track get replaced pretty much every year.
Last season's are still very obvious by their new paint.
This year they are doing four short sections.
Nothing different to most other closed seasons.
And the same sad sods sitting outside in the rain on the prom watching it happen.
Yes, that would be me.

Last edited:

rob666

Hyper Poster
Retracking infers improvement normally...smoothing out corners and the like.
The Big Ones first drop and turnaround were retracked...the only bits that have been.
Every year, like this year, individual small sections of track are replaced, exactly like for like.
That is not usually considered retracking in these circles is it?
Simply wear replacement.

CrashCoaster

CF Legend
Retracking infers improvement normally...smoothing out corners and the like.
The Big Ones first drop and turnaround were retracked...the only bits that have been.
Every year, like this year, individual small sections of track are replaced, exactly like for like.
That is not usually considered retracking in these circles is it?
Simply wear replacement.
Re-tracking is when any track is replaced, no matter how big or small. You're thinking about re-profiling, when the geometry of the track is also altered in some way.

Crazycoaster

Giga Poster
This is not news, this is just general refurbishment, in the same way that when they replaced parts of Nemesis’s track. Or like when a wooden coaster gets some boards replaced.

rob666

Hyper Poster
We are arguing semantics to the point of pedantics here.
The work being done is done every year.
The ride will feel no different after the process.
After fifty years of riding coasters, I know the difference between retracking, reprofiling and track replacement, but the individual terms used can be moot at times.
To describe it as retracking is rather overegging the pudding in my mind.
This is general, routine repairs, nothing more.