What's new

Big One Re-Tracking @Pleasure Beach

Ethan

Strata Poster
I forgot why i don't bother with enthusiast forums anymore, so much pedantry, narrow minded thinking and pettiness.
I love how as soon as somebody disagrees with your opinion, everyone is "narrow minded", quite ironic? I guess maybe you shouldn't bother.

Although I am in the 'Big One is turd' group. It's rough, boring, and half of it is straight track. But it's become part of the skyline now, just as recognisable as the Tower down the street. So I'm happy never riding it again and viewing it more of a rusty old sculpture, and letting it suck up the crowds! Tbh I don't really plan on visiting every again anyway.

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator
For all its faults, it has pretty much the best name of any coaster out there, though. It's very simple, but tells you, straight to the point, what you're in for. It's a very big coaster. That's the long and short of it.

I don't know how much creative thinking was involved in coming up with the name, but the end result is brilliant in its simplicity.

Nitefly

Hyper Poster
I forgot why i don't bother with enthusiast forums anymore, so much pedantry, narrow minded thinking and pettiness.
People are only saying whether they like it (fine) or not (also fine) 🤷‍♂️

I find it to be very uncomfortable, not thrilling and without the character of the more ‘antique’ rides of the park. I don’t like it.

Put another way, I find the Big Dipper to be enjoyably retro (like vinyl) - for all its downfalls it retains some theatre, quality and charm. I find the Big One to be simply outdated (like audio cassette) - it’s downfalls are not redeemed by any other qualities and I can’t help but think it’s inferior to many other modern rides I have ridden.

JoshC.

Strata Poster
Big One is synonymous with Blackpool. Probably even more than the woodies. I don't think calling it a "classic" is the right word, but it's certainly "iconic".

I don't know what the public reaction to it is, but it's at a level where it almost doesn't matter. As long as it doesn't kill people, or bore them to sleep, people will happily go and ride, to say they've ridden The Big One. It's just got that level of knowledge and appeal to it.

It will be interesting to see what happens if Thorpe manage to open to take the UK's tallest record. Pushing that to the high hills could, over time, push the appeal of Big One down. Just imagining conversations like
"I went to Blackpool last week, went of that Big One roller coaster - was really cool!!"
"Ah cool, I went on the Coca Cola Zero Bigger One* at Thorpe Park, it's the tallest roller coaster in the UK!!"
*name still a work in progress ;)

Eventually, that may drain away Big One's aura. It won't be an instant thing, but in 5-10 years, will Big One really have as much relevance.

I don't know what the point of this post was really. Maybe just "Whilst Big One is the big one, it will be fine. But when Big One isn't the big one, will its appeal drop off? Maybe."

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster
It will be interesting to see what happens if Thorpe manage to open to take the UK's tallest record. Pushing that to the high hills could, over time, push the appeal of Big One down. Just imagining conversations like
"I went to Blackpool last week, went of that Big One roller coaster - was really cool!!"
"Ah cool, I went on the Coca Cola Zero Bigger One* at Thorpe Park, it's the tallest roller coaster in the UK!!"
*name still a work in progress ;)

I don't know what the point of this post was really. Maybe just "Whilst Big One is the big one, it will be fine. But when Big One isn't the big one, will its appeal drop off? Maybe."
Please, if there's a god, let that be the name!!! 🤣🤣🤣

Even just 'The Bigger One' would be hilarious.

Out of interest though, with the future of The Ultimate in question, and it not currently operating... Doesn't that make The Big One the longest operating coaster in the UK? And so, at least the name will still make sense. :)

EDIT: Just checked and it does... In fact, currently, BPB have 4 of the top 5 longest coasters operating in the UK!!!

Untitled.png

witchfinder

Giga Poster
^ Jeez, those track lengths are quite depressing as a top ten! 😆

I rode The Big One twice a couple of weeks ago on a relatively calm but fairly cold day (6 degrees). First ride, back row on my own was f*cking terrible, from being smashed into the side of the train on the drop to juddering through most of the boring layout. Second ride was in the dark, mid-train and was more bearable but it's still just absolutely sh*t isn't it? The fact it slows down so much just before cresting the first hill after the drop is just embarrassing!

The recent re-tracking has helped reduce the roughness a bit I think but it hasn't made it a more enjoyable ride in any way, and there are still some horrible shaky moments.

Matt N

CF Legend
@Nicky Borrill Funny you should mention length, because excluding The Ultimate, length is actually a more impressive accolade for the Big One than height, as excluding The Ultimate actually makes the Big One Europe’s longest coaster!

I’ll admit I was thinking about the Big One when Thorpe’s coaster was revealed, and I’ve got to say I did feel for Blackpool a bit when it was announced. The Big One may have lost the world height record and the European height record, but they still had the UK height record going for them. I wonder what they’ll market the ride as once Exodus opens, because that will lose it its main USP within the sphere of the UK? “The tallest coaster in the North”, perhaps?

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster
@Nicky Borrill Funny you should mention length, because excluding The Ultimate, length is actually a more impressive accolade for the Big One than height, as excluding The Ultimate actually makes the Big One Europe’s longest coaster!

I’ll admit I was thinking about the Big One when Thorpe’s coaster was revealed, and I’ve got to say I did feel for Blackpool a bit when it was announced. The Big One may have lost the world height record and the European height record, but they still had the UK height record going for them. I wonder what they’ll market the ride as once Exodus opens, because that will lose it its main USP within the sphere of the UK? “The tallest coaster in the North”, perhaps?
So technically, the Big One is currently Europe's 'biggest' operating coaster in terms of length!

I have to admit, thinking back to that cold day in 1994... The height amazed me first, but it was the length that I specifically remember talking about with others after... Regularly riding things like The Missile, Corkscrew and having just done Nemesis, it felt insanely long at the time.

Coaster

Mega Poster
I mean in fairness; it will still be “The Big One.” Thorpe’s proposed new hyper might be a foot taller, but The Big One is still a much bigger coaster. It’s much longer than Thorpe's proposal and spans a much greater area of its respective park.

I’m sure that BPB could concoct some marketing waffle about it being the UK’s “biggest” coaster with combined height and length, if they really wanted to. Better still, they could compete with Thorpe and build something taller!

If BPB reach a point where their signature ride isn’t attracting people anymore then they aren’t competing well enough. The Big One doesn’t need changing (other than the re-track/maintenance) but if BPB want to remain a huge draw, I do think their next new coaster should look to reclaim the UK’s height record.

Another factor behind the whole “change the Big One” debate, rather than building a new coaster alongside it, is that if Alton builds a new coaster before BPB build another one, they’ll lose the numerical UK record for coasters too. BPB doesn’t need to rip out anything IMO, the line-up has been cut fine enough already. They need to compete!

Nerter

Roller Poster
BPB doesn’t need to rip out anything IMO, the line-up has been cut fine enough already. They need to compete!
I think the question is, do they have the money to compete? I don't see them being able to stump up anywhere near enough money to build something big and impressive in the near-to-mid future. At best I think they'll go for some kind of family coaster next near the Wild Mouse plot.

Steely Dan

Mega Poster
Funny you should mention length, because excluding The Ultimate, length is actually a more impressive accolade for the Big One than height, as excluding The Ultimate actually makes the Big One Europe’s longest coaster!

The bolded caught me a bit by surprise, so with my curiosity leading me straight to RCDB to confirm, I came to realize that, discounting Ultimate for its uncertain future, the Big One is in fact the 4th longest operating coaster in the world outside of North America, after Steel Dragon, Fujiyama, and Formula Rossa. Every other coaster that's longer is in NA.

Not too shabby for a 27 year old Arrow.

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator
I think the question is, do they have the money to compete? I don't see them being able to stump up anywhere near enough money to build something big and impressive in the near-to-mid future. At best I think they'll go for some kind of family coaster next near the Wild Mouse plot.
Then again, what competition is there? Thorpe and Alton building a coaster or two every decade while letting the parks degrade otherwise, and other parks that only do the degrading part. And Paulton's, I suppose, but still, it generally doesn't seem to be a very tough race. One new, well-themed flat ride and a lick of paint across the park would put BPB at or near the very head of the runnings.

Seeing the competition in a broader sense, though, with a trip to the park competing with every other spare time activity, that's a trickier one. There are many things to do on a sunny day in modern society, and some of them can be done for pennies per hour without leaving the house. Binging movies, playing games, browsing social media, etc. That is a tough race for parks in general, and frankly, I don't see many parks worldwide making the effort to compete there.

Then again, many parks do see increased attendance year after year, so it should be possible for parks to offer a competitive experience still. I wonder if BPB has the means to do that, though.

Nerter

Roller Poster
Then again, what competition is there? Thorpe and Alton building a coaster or two every decade while letting the parks degrade otherwise, and other parks that only do the degrading part. And Paulton's, I suppose, but still, it generally doesn't seem to be a very tough race. One new, well-themed flat ride and a lick of paint across the park would put BPB at or near the very head of the runnings.

Seeing the competition in a broader sense, though, with a trip to the park competing with every other spare time activity, that's a trickier one. There are many things to do on a sunny day in modern society, and some of them can be done for pennies per hour without leaving the house. Binging movies, playing games, browsing social media, etc. That is a tough race for parks in general, and frankly, I don't see many parks worldwide making the effort to compete there.

Then again, many parks do see increased attendance year after year, so it should be possible for parks to offer a competitive experience still. I wonder if BPB has the means to do that, though.
True, and I think that's what's a bit disheartening. If a lick of paint and a single new ride puts it at or near the top of the UK list I think it says something about the competition than it does about BPB.

I think the competition with non-theme park activities is maybe less relevant to BPB than it is to say Towers. Blackpool itself is a holiday destination in it's own right even if it is a bit run down. I can see people planning trips there to think "Oh we can do the Tower, walk up the prom, play in the arcades and then go to the Pleasure Beach", I think people build it into a bigger body of leisure activities than you might do if you were popping to Thorpe for the day.

Parks can still certainly offer competitive experiences, but I think it's a slippery slope when they fall short of the mark. Less appealing to visitors > Less gate receipts > Less money in > Less appetising to invest in > Less appealing to visitors > Less gate receipts etc. Obviously the pandemic has flipped the table for most of the theme parks worldwide, I'm not too sure how you convince a bank to loan you 7 or 8 figure sums for a new blockbuster ride based on the last few years of trading without a big parent company to provide collateral. That's where I see BPB being left behind in the near-future as the other major UK parks either have a parent company or did okay in the pandemic (Paultons) so look to be safer bets for investment.

Smithy

Strata Poster
There's two very distinctive groups within the GP category you could be referring to with regards to PMBO - those who have ridden it and those who haven't.

For many people, it's as iconic as the Tower is and when they think of Blackpool it's one of the first things they think of, they associate with the town, and in many cases they won't even remember how it rides or the quality of it. It's the aesthetics of it that, to my mind, give it more reason to be seen as a classic than the actual ride itself. And I guess it depends how you're defining it as a classic. Is it a classic ride for enthusiasts? Of course not. For the GP? Possibly.

Will

Strata Poster
^
Agreed - a few weeks ago I was on a coach of football fans coming off the M55 and The Big One was the second thing people pointed out. In my part of the world, it's even on the opening credits for the local news :)