Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I Feel as big as a House!

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Scarlet

Mega Poster
I hate Danone and their crappy marketing of turning digestion-related words latin and thinking that people will adore it and quote the crap they're shovelling in their mouths :lol:

It's one of those double-take kind of moments when you hear the advert. Like "did they just say what I think they did?".

First they started with "Bifidus Digestivum", and now it's something like "Bifidus Activaregularis".

Equally crap, even if I'm wrong in my predictions :lol:

From researching the net for a few minutes about this - it seems the words are actually derived from proper scientific ones... but who cares, it's still unnecessarily stupid.

I didn't quite know what I was going to poll, which name was crapper, or something - but I've decided to do whether it's bollocks or not :D (Not that anyone's going to vote or anything)

So... Bifibollocks or nongesticrap?

Lol another weird topic by Scarlet!

The stuff I eat is advertised on the commercial as having "Bifidus Regularis", but it's not like having some kind of exciting Latin bacteria or nutrient or whatever the heck it is, is really going to cause me to have the urge to go out and buy it.

Activia is just great because it tastes good, not because it has a certain bacteria in it :p .

CedarPoint6

Hyper Poster
Ultimate Coaster said:
We don't get commercials like that in Connecticut, because we're educated.

I would say the same thing about Georgia, but I don't know about the level of educated around here... at least in high school.

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
To be honest I think it's just a stupid marketing ploy...

Martyn

Giga Poster
Yakult is just old yoghurt they scraped off the floors of yoghurt factories.

That's true.

Johnny

Hyper Poster
My sister tried that Bifidus Digestivum, and she said it was crap.

And that does sound like a Danone made up name, so it doesn't sound that convincing.

I've tried Yakult, and it's awful.

jayjay

Giga Poster
I've just had a look at this on Wikipedia.

Here's what they have to say on Bifidobacterium animalis.

Wikipedia said:
Several companies have attempted to trademark specific subspecies and as a marketing technique, renaming the subspecies with scientific sounding names. Danone (Dannon) have claimed trademark status on the subspecies strain DN 173 010 and markets the organism as Bifidus Digestivum (UK), Bifidus Regularis (US and Mexico), Bifidobacterium Lactis or B.L. Regularis (Canada) and Bifidus Actiregularis (Argentina, Austria, Chile, Germany, Italy, Netherlands, Romania and Russia). Scientifically, the correct strain is identified as Bifidobacterium animalis subsp. animalis, strain DN-173 010.

Leighton

Mega Poster
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yi3erdgVVTw[/youtube]
Call a harmless substance by a big chemical scientific sounding name, and it can be catagorised as very dangerous, bad for the environment and therfore we must ban it. :lol:

Or you can make up some random word that take 2 and a half minutes to prenounce, put it in an advert for some really expensive face product that no one really needs, and then you can call it a must have anti-aging ingredient. People will go mad and by hundreds.

Sadly, thats the way marketing works, and people fall for it every time. :roll:

Sam

Giga Poster
Ultimate Coaster said:
^Having trouble forming words when you post?

Or are you just too drunk to know the difference?

No. I just didn't understand your post.

Firstly it made absolutely no sense.... why would your standard of education determine what adverts foreign companies put on your tv screens?

And secondly Americans don't exactly have a reputation for being overly clever..... which would stem from your education system.

Gazza

Giga Poster
Or you can make up some random word that take 2 and a half minutes to prenounce, put it in an advert for some really expensive face product that no one really needs, and then you can call it a must have anti-aging ingredient. People will go mad and by hundreds.

Sadly, thats the way marketing works, and people fall for it every time. Rolling Eyes
That comment immediatley reminded me of this:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dpsTL3GTlYs[/youtube]

Anyway, I have a bit of a hate for this sort of advertising, it comes across as very pretentious.

peep

CF Legend
^ROFL at those ads.

Yeah, its all getting a bit silly now. Although Yakult looks like someone just yakked up in a small carton.

peep

CF Legend
I'm confused now UC. How does US TV ads work then? Over here ads are generally shown or at a general time between a program when their target audience should be watching. Yet in some cases of the stupid ads with their silly made up toxin cripe (for example muller yogurts) the ads are trying to reach the biggest market they can by advertising constantly throughout the day/night on every channel. So with US TV, does the content of the television channels change when broadcast in different states/towns etc? So because you might be more educated than peeps in a different state/town/whatever they don't want to try and sell you yogurt?

Karen

Hyper Poster
Ok..............

Well personally I think the stuff is great after you have had a really bad gut ie squits, puking, even good old constipation. It justs seems to get them working proper.

Stone Cold

Mega Poster
Scarlet, of all the people who I thought wouldn't be offended by people making up false sounding foreign words to slip into their vocabulary, I thought it would have been you!

Having said that, marketeers will make any old rubbish up to sell their products, it's amazing what people do fall for as well. On a daily basis, if you eat a balanced diet, you won't need to top up your healthy bacteria; if you eat badly, a daily helping of a small yogurt drink is unlikely to repair the long term damage.

veryounique

Roller Poster
Danone invents BULL**** names for REAL bacteria as trademark

Danone's BL Regularis does not exist even though Danone makes it sound like a scientific name to impress those whom Danone considers to be ignorant!

The TRUE scientific name of the strain is Bifidobacterium animalis subsp lactis.

Danone owns Bifidobacterium animalis subsp lactis about as much as they own the air they breathe.

Danone's attempt to rename Bifidobacterium animalis subsp lactis as BL Regularis in Canada (and as half a dozen different invented names in other countries) is childish, presumptuous, and arrogant.

check this out : wikipedia Bifidobacterium_animalis

Status
Not open for further replies.