What's new

Best-Paced Coaster You've Ridden

jolash

Mega Poster
mistermister said:
Im not so sure about a good one, but the Flight of Fear / Jokers Jinx clones are pretty bad. Half the time you are going ridiculously slow while the train is banked a ton, and the entire middle of the ride does absolutely nothing...

But Poltergeist doesn't have the trims. That ride's pretty damn awesome.

ava1enzue1a

Mega Poster
Yeah, Boulder Dash and The Voyage seem to be pretty good here.

Edit: Never ridden them but just from POVs - wow!

Bat Fastard

Hyper Poster
For me, I'd say Prowler and New Texas Giant. Both have balls to the walls airtime the whole way through. Honorable mention to Renagade. Also Titan after the MCBR. The hard positive g-forces just don't seem to stop until the ride's over.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Rachel said:

I don't think it's well paced at all. I love the ride, but I think that it dies off on the stall turn (well, duh :lol: ). So it's WTF, madness, OMG, Erm, why are slowingOMFGDOWNTOTHELOOP, that was okay, bored, where the hell did that inversion come from, THERE'S MORE??? Oh, no, there isn't, we're just hitting the brake run at 200mph.

Bizarro probably for me. It's got that kind of slow build with the "standard" out and back up and down (slow because the uphill bits take their time a little (tiny) bit), but then as the hills get lower and the ride flourishes towards the finale with the twists and dives, you really feel it's doing something with the speed it retained.

So yeah, it's breathtaking with tiny breathers at the start, which then builds into an onslaught.

EGF was also really well paced, but only later in the day when it had warmed up. Initially though, there was a turn where it really meandered, but as the speed increased during the day, it flew by and was a really great section.

Boulder Dash, as much as I love it, I don't like the pacing on the return section. Until the sharp turnaround, it's superb, but then it finishes like Bizarro starts, with the hump backs. They're great elements, but it ends kind of slower and predictably, the complete reverse of Bizarro, which IMO is the best way to pace.

marc

CF Legend
Nemesis for me. I like they way they use an element to slow it down rather than brakes.

Anything with trims for me is not well paced, if it was it would not need trims to slow it down :)

SaiyanHajime

CF Legend
furie said:
Rachel said:

I don't think it's well paced at all. I love the ride, but I think that it dies off on the stall turn (well, duh :lol: ). So it's WTF, madness, OMG, Erm, why are slowingOMFGDOWNTOTHELOOP, that was okay, bored, where the hell did that inversion come from, THERE'S MORE??? Oh, no, there isn't, we're just hitting the brake run at 200mph.
You could argue that the pauses in Nemesis enhance the other elements and break it up. That drop after the helix is mental - it can be hard to keep your head up. Then you get flung over into the zero-g roll (which either produces negative-g, or it just feels like it because of the contrast to the previous bone crushing positives?). The casual clime up into the "stall turn" is like it's saying "You thought that was cool? Okay, watch this..."

What makes Nemesis good in terms of critical quality it provides a real mixed bag of sensations in an interesting order so unlike the majority of other coasters. Nemesis' pacing is actually more like that of a wooden coaster than a steel, I think, and the majority of wooden coasters are better paces than steel in terms of being entertaining (at least to enthusiasts).

I personally think Nemesis' well-praised ending is overrated. I don't like corkscrews at the best of times (they don't flow, but they aren't "crazy" either - they just kinda flop you about. And I dislike cobra rolls for the same reason), but Nemesis' springs out of nowhere. Most people think that's awesome, but I find it just uncomfortable. I'd rather it snaked about at the end as if saying "theeee ennnd" where as at the moment it kinda screams "THE END GET OFF HAHAHAHAHAHA **** YOUUUUUUU".

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
I agree mostly (don't die of shock :lol: ). It's just really the stall turn is too slow and there's not really enough coaster to justify that particular "break" after the slow turn before the loop. With just the loop between, it's too much pause and not enough action IMO.

It's the surprise of the final element which is good, no so much the element. It's the one thing I remember from my pre-enthusiast days, the way it is sprung on you. These days, it's just that bit that hurts between the dull bit and the brakes.

Though the first corkscrew on Nemesis is full of win.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Is it the wooden inverted robocoaster in an aquatrax layout? Launched and made by B&M?

Thought so... ;)

oriolat2

Giga Poster
As far as launched coasters go, Maverick or Bluefire.

Batman and Talon are other good contenders in terms of pacing.

As for wooden coasters, Ravine Flyer II and most new GCIs have amazing pacing.

CookieCoasters

Giga Poster
oriolat2 said:
As far as launched coasters go, Maverick or Bluefire.

I disagree with Blue Fire having great pacing as it is kind of on the slow side for most of the ride which is its only negative. That does mean great hang time though.

Ben

CF Legend
^It doesn't have to be fast to be well-paced. I don't agree Blue Fire is well-paced, but, still :p

Boulder Dash and Mountain Flyer take this all day long.

andrus

Giga Poster
This:
CookieCoasters said:
Black Mamba Has Flawless pacing for an invert
and this:
FaceYourNemesis said:
Dragon Khan! It just never seems to let up.

I would also like to give Fluch von Novgorod a mention. It's not just full throttle all the way, it's rather an intelligent thought out mix of pacing: some slow parts, some intense parts and lots of surprices!

ThomVD

Giga Poster
I thought the GCI woodies I've been on (Troy and Joris en de Draak) have great pacing, especially Joris en de Draak.

Thunderhead, Mountain Flyer and any Intamin mega-lite look like they have some fantastic pacing as well.