What's new

Belgian and Dutch parks floodings

ECG

East Coast(er) General
Staff member
Administrator
There is a lot of rainfall in Belgium, many villages and towns are floaded with dramatic consequences. It also doesn't look good for Plopsa Coo...
It's not just Belgium, climate change (polar icecap temperature increase) is effecting all of central Europe with massive slow moving downpours. Several small parks in Germany have had to close due to the rising water.

JoshC.

Strata Poster
Obviously awful for Plopsa Coo, but I can think of at least 2 separate occasions over recent years where they've been hit by floods (though maybe not during this time of year).

I imagine they're well prepared and protected so the one shining beacon is this shouldn't do too much damage or have too much of an adverse affect on the park beyond being closed. Well, fingers crossed at least.

Will

Strata Poster
A little off topic perhaps, but the nearby Spa Francorchamps circuit have posted this image (nearby road, not the track)
whatsapp_image_2021-07-15_at_10.41.09.jpeg

Not the first time this year either, but as anyone who's been out that way knows, when it rains in the Ardennes, it does it properly...

cookie

Giga Poster
There is a lot of rainfall in Belgium, many villages and towns are floaded with dramatic consequences. It also doesn't look good for Plopsa Coo...
I can report firsthand that Walibi Belgium had to close at 2 P.M today due to excessive rain and flooding (Kondaa was already out by 12.30 and from Dalton Terror I could see that the whole area under the non-inverted cobra roll was already flooded), so this weather is sadly affecting most of the country. It looks like it could be clearing up by the weekend, though.

Edit: Got some photos uploaded

ED07A3BD-3FDA-4956-82E7-88DE1013A708.jpeg

F3533C09-4A7F-4ED2-93CE-5B1194D80A79.jpeg

I could see the river snaking through the park and those wetlands beneath Kondaa becoming a problem if this becomes more frequent.

EB8A4A5C-85F5-45A2-A3A4-2A16FD0C20DE.jpegCC5A6917-7D5B-40B9-9D9C-E9D55EB415A5.jpeg

Last edited:

TilenB

Strata Poster
Not the first time this year either, but as anyone who's been out that way knows, when it rains in the Ardennes, it does it properly...
I feel like it always rains in Ardennes to some extent, but yeah, the track was also flooded a few weeks ago, so definitely not good times for anyone that lives in the area.

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
I could plausibly see them being shut for some time now. That's going to be one heck of a clean up, and who knows that the access is like to the park for people to do that work (not to mention that they themselves might be struggling with flood damage to their homes, etc).

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Oh dear… could this be a Six Flags New Orleans-type situation? Or is it not as severe?
I'm not an expert by any stretch, but I the SFNO situation was much more complex. The damage to the park was much worse (Wikipedia says areas of the park were over 6m underwater), and the surrounding area was truly devastated following the hurricane (some example images here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Effects_of_Hurricane_Katrina_in_New_Orleans). Overall the park and state was staring down the barrel of a massive crisis (thousands of people died in Katrina), so the focus was on a large-scale disaster relief. Plus, Six Flags then weren't willing to pay the money all those years down the line to get the park up and running again.

The damage to Walibi is awful, and unprecedented, but I don't see it to be the end of the park.

Lori Marie Loud

Giga Poster
Oh no.
Screenshot_20210716-075549_kindlephoto-1280133072.png

Depending on how long that flood water stays, I can wager that we might not be seeing Pulsar and the kiddie cred ever operating again. Let's hope this is the worst extent of the flooding here.

EDIT: Hilariously, this is my 420th post. Nice.

Last edited:

SilverArrow

Certified Ride Geek
I read a comment somewhere that Taron and Black Mamba are closed due to water in their lower terrain areas.

Lori Marie Loud

Giga Poster
God almighty. That's 2 large parks, plus Plopsa Coo, plus whatever parks are closed in Germany.

I've also read that flooding is occurring in Luxembourg too. FUU**...

cookie

Giga Poster
Depending on how long that flood water stays, I can wager that we might not be seeing Pulsar and the kiddie cred ever operating again.
That’s a little extreme. Fun Pilot is entirely elevated above the floodwater, and Pulsar’s area should be able to be drained. Plus, whatever parts may need to be replaced due to flood damage their respective manufacturers should be able to whip up since their respective models are still under mass production. I don’t see them going SBNO permanently, especially with how new they are to the park.