What's new

BBC News article - ADHD 'queue jumpers'

Bring back fast track at parks (Alton Towers still have the ticket booths for this) and they wouldn't have to queue for very long! They still do fast track at Disneyland Paris and the queue isn't more than 10-20mins.

Karen said:
Bring back fast track at parks (Alton Towers still have the ticket booths for this) and they wouldn't have to queue for very long! They still do fast track at Disneyland Paris and the queue isn't more than 10-20mins.

Except they've removed the machines and turned them into smoking areas.

I have ADHD, although it's nowhere near as bad as when I was diagnosed.. I was 8 at the time, and I would visit theme parks quite regularly. And never in that time did I ever have a problem queuing, I was always fully able to and aware of what was going on and why. Ritalin or no Ritalin.

The only way my mother ever 'took the piss' was paying a disabled guest entry rate, and I think going free as a carer..

ADHD is not a 'skip-the-line' condition. I can understand how some mental conditions can be, if the guest is incapable of understanding the concept of queuing, but ADHD and ADD don't have that symptom. They should queue.

Kids with ADHD should have to learn to wait. I know it could be hard for them, but think how much better it will be in the future. Imagine a kid who was never disciplined, was given everything he ever wanted on a silver platter, and got away with everything. He would become a spoiled brat! It would have been so much better for this imaginary kid if he had been disciplined like kids are supposed to be. The same principle goes for this as well.

I have ADHD, have I ever queue jumped? **** NO!

Its not an excuse at all! They should all have to wait, most people grow out of ADHD so they'll just have to learn!

Admittedly, now a days I am very mild in the case but never, ever have I queue jumped or for that reason complained about queue's.

Although... if this means I can jump queues... ;)

what a massive excuse for que jumpers
whats wrong with the theme parks allowing this
its a joke

6FI parks do this for kids with autism. That works for me.

ADD/ADHD though? I can't get behind that. My brother was diagnosed with it, but even he doesn't think it's a real condition.

How many inner-city black kids get diagnosed? None.

Suburban upper/upper middle-class white kids? Most of, if not all of the diagnoses.

Yeah, maybe if mom or dad spent some time with the kids and / or provided some discipline into the kids' lives, they'd behave.

That's just my opinion, and I know it'll probably upset some folks, but I'm not asking that anyone agree with me, either.

I think that some people "need" this. Most don't. The problem is, how do you draw a line...? You can't. That's why all disabled guests, no matter how capable of standing in a queue, get the privilege of queue jumping.

The problem is, people do abuse it. And, honestly, how many people wouldn't abuse it if given the option to?

I don't know what the solution is. There probably isn't one. Maybe something less blatantly in the face of queuers who could potentially have been waiting hours, would be nice. Such as a fast-pass system in which guests HAVE to ride at designated times. Or, better still, guests who are still able to stand in a queue should only have the privilege of fast passes. I do find it slightly annoying that people perfectly capable of standing should get to jump the queue.

And the "well, the rest of their lives aren't as great so it's nice to give them something to make it better" doesn't fly with me. We all have problems. And I do not think mental or physical ability in any way determines ones happiness. By this logic, we should let those diagnosed with depression not only queue jump, but we should give them free ice creams all day too.

the issue is in drawing the line on who is and is not legible.

EDIT: It's annoyed me that in this topic people have gone "this is silly, I have ADHD! It doesn't affect my ability to stand in a queue!" as if everyone experiences it the same. Also, the above poster mentioned autism. Again, not all autistics are the same. There are infinite degrees of any mental or physical disability. It's not black and white.

I have a supreme life threatening allergy to goons. I can prove this with my Psychiatrist note. If I am exposed to them for extended periods of time my homicidal tendancies rear their ugly head. Hence the life threatening. Therefore I will jump the queue!

Seriously, with the ever increasing number of minorities that allowed to queue jump and so on, it wont be long and everyone will have some medical condition which will allow them to jump the queue. Therefore causing another queue.

Why is it that everyone is sooooo willing to bend over backwards for every single minority and then it is the majority that has to suffer?